Foot tenderness

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackie

I bite.
This morning I noticed Diesel sitting with his back hind leg up against his body, so I took him out and examined it. I noticed a small cut on it a week ago and put some blu-kote on it, but other than that I'm not really sure what it could be. The cut seems to have healed up and I see no sign of it.

He will put weight on the leg and hop around on it, but it seems tender to the touch when I put pressure touch it. I am bringing him to work tomorrow with me for x-rays, but I'm really not sure if it's broken since he seems to hop around on it just fine when he's moving. It's just when he's sitting still that it seems to bother him.

Any other ideas? I didn't really see any sign of bumblefoot; the foot has dry skin but it looks to be the normal amount, not excessive. I did not see any cracks or blood. I'm really not sure what he could have hurt it on. He is in a FN cage with fleece liners.

He still may just be tender. Healing cuts sometimes are sore when the new skin first grows back

I didn't take him in for x-rays, but tonight his foot is swollen and he's definitely using it less. He will still hop around on it but most of the time he's holding it up against him and wobbling when moving around. Someone suggested it could have been bumblefoot crop up. I haven't noticed any blood since last week and that cut has healed up. Could the swelling be bumblefoot? I have been applying blu-kote. I haven't dealt with either bumblefoot or broken bones before. I'll be making a vet appointment tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here they are, it is pretty swollen this morning as well..in the pictures it is the left foot that is bothering him. You can tell how swollen it is compared to the other up towards the heel.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

The vet had no openings until tomorrow morning, so I made the appointment as soon as they open and I'm going to keep him restricted in his carrier. I believe I have a bit of metacam here I could give him to help with the pain if that would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Wow. It looks like something is infected in there. I have no experience in that area, just an observation. Keep us posted and I hope the vet is able to offer some quick relief!

Looks like bumblefoot to me - he's got wounds on both feet although the left is worse than the right. I would suggest he needs some pain relief & some antibiotics to try to relieve some of that swelling in his left foot.
IME I have used Septrin (TMZ) with good effect on bumblefoot.

Thanks Claire. I went ahead and gave him a dose of Metacam- it was for Smudge when he had his impaction. I called the vet and she had me weigh Diesel and calculated the dosage for me. I also have some sulfamethoxazole & trimethoprim antibiotic here, would it be a good idea to give him a dose of that as well or wait until the vet visit tomorrow morning?

Antibiotics can only be prescribed by a vet here so I guess it is the same in the US?
I'd give your vet a ring & see what they say.

Last edited:
Our appointment is in 30 minutes..I noticed on the other leg (the one not swollen) that there is some oozing coming from the side, so I definitely suspect bumblefoot now. Will let you all know what happens at the vet.

Latest posts

Back