Trio Intro so far

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

I am so happy Elizbeth Bennet is out of quarantine and now I am starting to work on introducing her to Maddie and Mitzie. I moved her quarantine cage next to Maddie and Mitzie for the first couple of days just so she could get used to the new room, now I have started the cage in cage routine. Things are going okay, not great. I put Maddie and Mitzie in the show cages first, and boy did I get some evil looks. Then I moved Lizzie into the show cage and she ended up with a bloody tail. My guess is Maddie bit her tail (Maddie wouldn't leave her alone), however I guess she could have also just hurt it herself. I cleaned her tail with Benedictine, and it looks fine now. So now when Lizzie is in the show cage, I put her in the corner of the cage with a hidey house on the other side and a marble slab on top of the cage so she is a little more protected. I have also done a few neutral playtimes, and as predicted Maddie and Mitzie have had a few "words." I can say Mitzie is a campionion spayer and I have gotten hit twice now. There has been chasing and some fur slips, Lizzie is very scared of them and mostly just hides behind me. In fact, she was sitting in my lap and Mitzie came over and got next to my lap, this scared/worried Lizzie who then let out a bark, that in turn scared Mitzie and Mitzie bit me (she has resting her paws on my arm) it hurt but I would rather it be me than Maddie or Lizzie that got bit. But I am going to keep trying slowy with them all and if it gets too rough and I have to stop, that is fine Lizzie can be an only chin. Oh I forgot to mention, I have cut down whiskers on everyone as well.

I have now moved Lizzie from her quarantine cage that was next to Maddie and Mitzie, into the FN 143 so she is ontop of the brats. I wanted her to have a chin spin and her quarantine cage wouldn't have held one. The FN 143 has a bass pan with a cut out in it, however I have it turned around so now no one can get in/get out, then there is a marble slab in the cut out part so Lizze can't get to the "roof" of the 142. So hopfully if/when they all get along, I can combine the cages.

Here are some pics of them in the show cages -

Lizze checking out a VERY unhappy Maddie
pics378.jpg

Lizzie says "Hahaha suckers!"
pics376.jpg

Mitzie plotting my death (she has a water bottle too, it is just on the other side)
pics373.jpg

Last edited:
I trimmed Maddie and Mitzie's whiskers before I started any intros. I have also now trimmed Lizzie's whiskers (after these pics were taken), it hasn't seem to help much :(

It sounds cruel, but take everything out of the cage except for food and water. Our chins were only allowed in the top half of the FN, and the fact that they didn't have anything to claim as "theirs", we didn't have any territoriality issues. It also forces them to interact with one another, which helps them learn to trust!

Back