Ideas for playtime?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
What props, toys, etc can I use during playtime with my chins. As of right now I just take them into the hallway and close all the doors. I don't have any toys for them, but I do offer a dust bath sometimes during play. Is there anything I can use from around the house to give them something to do.

I supervise the entire time any chin is out of the cage, so I will be able to watch for them getting hurt or chewing. Any ideas?

I'd also like to see some pictures of peoples play areas! :)

Playtime is in a playpen for our guys. We have some wood chews, a tube and box for them to play with or hide in if they need to feel safe. However bouncing off the sides and using everything else as an obstacle course is the norm.

I use a variety of cardboard boxes. We have about 7 or 8 - all different sizes. Our 2 boys love running through them and jumping on them!

I am lucky that I have a whole room for Trixie. I have a few bins she can jump onto. Plus a couple of high spots, and a couple of places to go hide and rest a bit.

IMG_2881.jpg

Here is a photo of how I set up their playpen prior to playtime. I have a large chew tube, two wood tunnels of different types, wood sticks, and a ceramic dish with fresh hay as well as fresh hay cubes. I also put down a fresh scoop of dust bath for them. I give them anywhere between an hour and two hours nightly of playtime. The top of their playpen zips so I can actually leave the room if I need to and I am assured they will not escape. It's much better than just letting them have free run of the basement IMO.

Here is a photo of them having playtime:

IMG_2888.jpg

I clean it and wipe it down nightly to make sure it is sanitized and everything is fresh.

Here is a link to the playpen...it comes in many different patterns, in case you are interested.

Also, you can Google search it..."Best Pet Playpen."

TrioOfFluff - I am looking to purchase a play pen for my boys! The bathroom is where we normally do play times but it is very inconvenient and they don't get that long to play. Thank you for posting about your play pen!

As for my boys play time we have 2 tunnels, wood chews and a paper towel rolls for them to play in. Tug's FAVORITE thing to do is play in the tub (I dry it every time before they go in). He will jump in and then run around the inside edges as fast as he can just squeaking and talking! It's so funny to watch him!!

Ashley

We have playtime in the bathroom. I've got several boxes that we've cut holes in and Annabelle loves to play inside them. We also have a big cardboard tube that she loves to run in and out of. There are also a few wooden toys that she only gets at playtime.

I know you can buy specific mazes for them but I just use cardboard boxes and cut holes in them and stack them into a play maze for them. My boys love hopping in and out and on the boxes. I like to imagine they're playing their own made up game. And you can get FREE boxes delivered to your door!

This is awesome! I had no idea the USPS would give me boxes for FREE! Thanks for posting the link.

Back