What you get-rent wise?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in a 2-floor townhouse apartment in Toronto.

1 Bed
1 Bath
Living/Dining Room
Kitchen with stove/fridge
Storage space (it's a Harry Potter cupboard under the stairs!)
All utilities
Cable/Wireless Internet

$933 a month... which I thought was decent until I started reading this!

Think I'm going to shoot myself in the head after reading this thread..

1 bed, 1 bath, kitchen, living room, nook with washer and dryer = 780 sf
back door opens to concrete slab 2.5'x5'
we pay (as in NOT INCLUDED IN RENT): gas, water, sewer, electricity, cable/internet, rental insurance

for...

$1390 a month

hence, we're looking for a house.

We are in a 2-floor townhouse apartment in Toronto.

1 Bed
1 Bath
Living/Dining Room
Kitchen with stove/fridge
Storage space (it's a Harry Potter cupboard under the stairs!)
All utilities
Cable/Wireless Internet

$933 a month... which I thought was decent until I started reading this!

That's about $730 USD, so that's really not that bad.

My apartment in Orange County, California 2 years ago:

1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
washer/dryer hook ups
800 sq ft
rent included water/ trash/ gas
we had to pay our own electric

$1440 a month :shocked:

Now I am in Central Tx and the condo I was renting:

2 stories
2 bedroom, 2.5 bath
washer/dryer hook ups
We had to pay all utilities seperate

rent was $650 a month

I am in Montreal-North a corner away from Ahuntsic distric (Montreal-North isn't a top neighbourhood, in the west of the distric, there is some gang problem, but not where I live)

I'm in a semi basement, 2 bedrooms. I'm on a quiet street, not so far from the buss and about 7-8 minutes (in buss) from the metro. The kitchen (small!) and bathroom is full renovated. Ceramic and hardwood (original from the 60s) everywhere. We have a little storage outside. I have washer/dryer outlet and water tax included. I pay electricity/heating. My rent is 525$/month

Used to live in Kent, OH, $450/ month water included. 1 bedroom loft apartment, built in the 70's, nice walk-in closet, tiny 1 bath, loft bedroom, living room and kitchen. Not allowed to have washer/dryer and no pets (but almost everyone did). Being in an apartment with water paid for and trash collected from unit the only main utility bill we had was electricity.

Now in Eden, NC, $595/month nothing included. 2 bedroom rented house, built in 1995, large walk-in closet, 1 and 1/2 bath, living room, kitchen, decent sized back yard with no fence, and porch on front. Not the best neighborhood but it's hard to get into a better one around here. We pay for water, sewer, trash collection, electricity, and gas heat. In my opinion we pay too much for the area we're in but we haven't been able to find another house as nice as this one that fits our needs yet.

Oh man rent is cheap in the US..I live in Canada and don't pay rent myself but most people I know that do are paying at least $1000 for a midsized apartment..houses are upward of $1400 a month!

So I live in Santa Barbara CA in a one bedroom apt. with living room, bathroom full closet and kitchen. All utilities included except electric (runs us about $45 a month).

MY RENT IS $1250 A MONTH-so like I said I win/loose so far by the posts here :-(

That's actually a pretty good price for Santa Barbara. That area is very expensive.

I'm in Orange County (Southern California).

I rent a townhouse:
2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms
Attached garage, washer/dryer (full size), kitchen, living room, dining room
I pay: rent, electricity, gas, water, trash, cable, phone TV (so everything!)

For a whopping.... $1600/month. Its better than my apartment I had. That was $1870/month and it was smaller than this place. lol

Gotta love sunny southern California. ;)

This is quite interesting!
Last year I lived in Haslett, MI in a one BR/one BA apt, 900 sq feet for $604 a month not including utilities. 2 Dogs/cats allowed for additional $. Really nice and it was the largest one BR apartment I've ever seen. But pretty far from campus and the washer and dryer were $1.50 per load each.

This year I live in a 3 br 1.5 ba duplex in East Lansing, MI. Finished basement, garage, backyard, gorgeous kitchen with an island type thing. Washer and dryer in the basement. Landlord is pretty laid back and right now we have 2 dogs, a cat, and my two frogs (which the roommates still don't know i have - they're pretty oblivious). Rent is $1050 a month, no utilities included. Only had to pay a deposit for the animals, no monthly fee! House is a bit older but a nice size and only a mile from campus.

I absolutely adore this place and wish I could afford it by myself, cuz I'm just not a 'roommate' person I think. But I'll be living here next year with the same roommates and if I get stuck up here for vet school I'll keep it for another 4 years.
And another awesome thing, my roommates and I kind of wanted to keep the place over the summer so we didn't have to move all our stuff but none of us would be here. Landlord told us the people that rented last summer wanted to rent this summer, so he'll put a lock on one of the bedrooms and we can put all our stuff in there and they can use the rest of the house. We'll have to pay hardly anything! YAY!

In Indianapolis, Indiana
5 miles/20-ish minutes from downtown
1 bedroom, 1 bath, tiny kitchen, LR, DR
Balcony (with power lines hanging over it, so you have to watch out if you're gonna venture out there...)
Mini-dishwasher (literally you can fit like 5 plates amd 2 cups in)
no washer/dryer hookups (or room really) :(
700 sq foot
$550 per month with everything except air/electricity (they pay for heat)

I like the place, but as it is older (it was built in the 1920s), while it is homey and cozy, and I like the way it looks moreso like connected brick houses than a huge apartment complex, because it's old...there are issues. My air/heating system's a little fried, and the ducts BADLY need to be vacuumed out. After those 80-some-odd-years, there is so much dust and gunk in them, I dust and you'd never guess it within 24 hours (if the heat/air is on). That, and my bedroom is the "front" room of the apartment, they told me before I moved in that the heat/air somehow has problems getting to the front room... ya. understatement of the year.... it's literally 10+ degrees different than the rest of the apartment. So the apt will be 80 and I'll be roasting but I go in the bedroom and it's 68 and I'm cold. I'd rather live here though than some of those new complexes that look so dorm-like...

Can have pets... upstairs (which my apartment is) the pets have to be under 35 pounds, downstairs it's 75 pounds (why the difference? I dunno, I weigh more than 75 and don't fall through the floor). Of course no bully breeds or aggressive breeds. Can have caged pets and exotics too (which, surprisingly [at least to me] a lot of places in the Indy area will let you have caged pets, but they can't be exotics)... $10 per month for dogs/cats, no fee for caged animals.

Apparently this is one of the lower-priced apartments in the area... one of my friends lives downtown, and pays $1600 for a two-bedroom, PLUS an extra $100 per month to park at the complex. That is one thing I suppose I can't complain about... while you may not always be able to park right in front of your building (parallel parking), there is ample parking, so visitors aren't parking miles away cause there's lots that aren't parallel every so often...

In State College PA, but not downtown. Currently $735/month which includes the $25 monthly pet fee. It's going up to $760 in May though. Those of you who have rent control - you are blessed.

I have: 2 bedrooms
Galley style kitchen with stove/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, sink w/ garbage disposal, two countertops
1 bathroom with vanity lights, countertop and two sinks
1 dining area (can't really call it a room)
1 large living room
2 closets besides the ones in the bedrooms
Ample parking
Trash/Sewer/Water. I pay electric, phone, cable, renter's insurance.

There is a laundry room in the building, which I have to pay in quarters to use. I live half underground and so don't have a balcony or patio whereas other units in my building do, but their rent is higher.

My lease says they're supposed to provide heat as well, and they do in that they provide the central air unit, but that runs off of electricity which I pay. Is this legal? I ran it last year and wound up with a $220 electric bill one month, haven't used the central since. I went with space heaters instead which cost less to run and heat better than the central did... I still pay far more for electric in the winter than I do in the summer (even with running the A/C) due to heating.

Last edited:
I don't seem to undesrtand, in the USA you have to pay extra so they take off the trash?!? So people who don't pay, they don't collect?

I live about an hour outside of Vancouver, BC is a small town called Maple Ridge

I rent a Rancher with a large back yard that is fully fenced with a covered pattio and an uncovered area for 875$
It has a kitchen/Dining area,1 bathroom, livingroom, two bedrooms and a laundry room. all appliances are included except for microwave. I pay for Gas, Electric and Internet as well as renters insurance ontop of rent. I can have any pets and there are no fees, I can paint, plant trees, and basically do anything I want and the landlord doesnt care he is really great. I have been there for 5 years.

Front
100_0635.jpg

Backyard
100_0633.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Where I live you couldn't touch that for under $1500 unless you were in the boonies and having to drive 30 min just to get to the local grocery store!

The average apt. here for a 1 bedroom 1 bath is around $800-$900.... 2 bedroom 1-2 bath is $900-1200.... It's coming down a bit, but not much.

I don't seem to undesrtand, in the USA you have to pay extra so they take off the trash?!? So people who don't pay, they don't collect?

I don't think you can refuse to pay trash, it is usually part of the rent. Trash in my rent pays for the dumpsters in the back we can use, they are emptied by a private company once a week.

Some parts of a city are provided with large trash cans and recycling to put out once a week. The cost for trash is usually included in the water bill, you have to pay it regardless of you using the service or not. That is why a lot of landlords pay the water and trash bills.

Here we pay $967.15 rent per month for our "Condo"

3 floor End unit
3 Bedroom
Semi- finished basement
1 parking spot in a community lot
Kitchen appliances(fridage and stove)
Central air
Washer and dryer
1 1/2 bath
Livingroom
Dining room/Kitchen
small fenced yard
They also cut the grass and shovel etc.

But we pay Heat, Hydro and Water/sewage on top of rent also!

Oh man rent is cheap in the US..I live in Canada and don't pay rent myself but most people I know that do are paying at least $1000 for a midsized apartment..houses are upward of $1400 a month!

I'm sure it depends on where you live in the US, as well as in Canada. I imagine a house in rural Saskatchewan is going to be cheaper than a condo in downtown Toronto. Likewise, a house here in Nebraska is much cheaper than a decent apartment in Manhattan, NY.

Back