What chinchilla food do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed Nutrena Naturewise 16% rabbit pellets to my chins. It's pretty much the only good feed I can get here locally that my herd does well on.

Depending on where you are located, you might do better to order from someone who sells supplies on here. With one chin, a 25 pound or a 50 pound bag would be a huge waste. You wouldn't use it up before it was out of the expiration range. Sandi on here sells Nutrena and Tradition, and there are other folks who sell other types of feed as well. I believe you can get Oxbow at Petsmart and Petco, but I don't buy at pet stores, so don't quote me on that. You used to be able to get Oxbow from Oxbow, but they decided they wanted to make more money, so you can't buy it direct anymore.

I've always fed my chins Mazuri, but recently made the switch to Purina Rabbit Show Chow due to it being the same price for twice as much feed (about $16 for a 50lbs bag) Both of which I get at a local farm supply store. At least in my area I found that even if a farm supply store doesn't stock a particular feed I'm looking for they can and will order it and even start keeping it in stock so long as they know I'll be coming back for more.

I feed (as do many on here) MannaPro. I think most feed the SHO formula but I feed (and haven't had a problem with) the PRO formula. My local Tractor Supply store carries it in both 25 and 50lb bags. Like said though, really depends on how many chins you have too because no matter how good a deal you can get locally...in too large a quantity you'll just be throwing money out.

I feed Alderpark pellets, which is a feed that I and another breeder have milled in Canada. It's always fresh and locally milled, and we've been using this feed for our chinchillas for several years now. It was originally formulated by Dr Koch (If his name sounds familiar, he had written many articles about chinchillas for some chinchilla organizations back then.) back in the 1960's and the feed has been used all these years privately by many breeders here in BC.

We use Manna Pro PRO Series rabbit pellets. They are the right protien, mycrotoxic tested and good long pellets perfect for chinchilla to hold and eat. You can get them from any Tractor Supply Co. (TSC).

I use Tradition, and I pick it up from the hubbard mill 1.5 hours from my house.

Someone told me that rabbit food was not nutrious enough for chinchillas.

Ps. I am in Illinois, the chicagoland area. We may order it and have it delivered. And I have one male chinchilla. I'll post pictures later.

You should definitely check with Sandi. She's in Chicago as well and you might even be able to save on some shipping. With one chin, the bigger bags really don't make sense.

I feed Tradition and Nutrena. I still can't get one of my guys to switch to Tradition, so I gave up and let him have Nutrena since he does better on it.

My boys get Mazuri because I can buy it by the pound at the local pet store. We usually get about 4 pounds and it lasts about 2 months for my 2 boys.

Oxbow for my two boys, and they do well on it. get it at a local mom n pop vet/livestock supply type place. a 10 pound bag lasts a few months at most.

I feed Shoots feed and a 50lb bag lasts me a month.

JAGS feeds a lot more than I do, but I go through 50 pounds every other day.

I think Becky also gets her feed through JAGS, or at least, she used to.

Latest posts

Back