The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought them a new bath house (the plastic house-shaped one) and cleaned out the ceramic one to give them somewhere cool to sleep in, since they seem to want to sleep in it when they took baths. Of course, now I never see them in it... :duh:

Since you sew, you could make them a little fleece pillow to go on the bottom of the ceramic dust bath. My girls won't even go in their wooden houses if their fleece pillows aren't in there. :rolleyes:

I have a little pillow that would fit perfectly in there, but I was hoping they would enjoy the cool ceramic on their little feets. Finicky little girls, they rarely use their granite chillers, but I have a ceramic tile on a shelf and they use it all the time.

Finally!!! I feel like enough has been done to my cage to share with the club. Monk won't be home until the 26th this month, but I'm trying to make sure everything is ready. Water filter and food dish are on the way. My next trip will be to walmart to buy cheap towels to put inside the liners and a small terracotta pot (or some kind of jar) for his hay.

Let me know what you think and if you have any tips or suggestions! And I have to thank everyone in da club for being my inspiration!

Pic 1: Top o cage
Pic 2: Bottom o cage
Pic 3: A growing Mr.Monk! (Sooo excited!!!)

Much love,
~Yell

Attachments

• 226144_10150260469087960_532457959_7708364_906155_n.jpg
    226144_10150260469087960_532457959_7708364_906155_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 220
  • 294488_10150260477782960_532457959_7708415_7973539_n.jpg
    294488_10150260477782960_532457959_7708415_7973539_n.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Monk Before Home 3.jpg
    Monk Before Home 3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 149
nice cages! i feel like my chins are deprived now! :(

do you have any recommendations where i can get the fleece liners? or should i make them? which ever is cheapers :p

thanks!

oh and where do you get the wooden shelves?

thanks again!

-caroline

Last edited by a moderator:
Celmisha ~
Alot of us make our own shelves. There's a diy section in the housing and supplies thread to show you how. There's also how to make fleece liners there as well. And if you check the supplies for sale thread you'll be able to find people that make them as well. Cheaper to make yourself if you can sew. Same with the shelves cheaper to make than to buy.

I learned to make the liners myself, but I just tried doing my own shelves this weekend...I don't think I'm cut out for wood working. I'll probably go back to buying shelves after this little experiment.

In the Classifieds section there are a ton of people who sell liners, and some who sell shelves.

I learned to make the liners myself, but I just tried doing my own shelves this weekend...I don't think I'm cut out for wood working. I'll probably go back to buying shelves after this little experiment.

In the Classifieds section there are a ton of people who sell liners, and some who sell shelves.

Really...I didn't find shelves too hard as long as I used my drill

Home Depot wouldn't cut some of the wood as small as I wanted it (4") and sanding the edges is a pain in the behind :(

i don't bother sanding the edges of shelves, Rhino goes to town on them anyway with his teeth, lol.

not sure why home depot wouldn't cut the shelves that small for you. were you getting your cuts for free or did you have to pay for cutting?

Free - the guy said he wasn't supposed to cut any smaller than 12". He did do some at 8" for me, but absolutely refused on the 4", he said the machine would "eat it."

I was supposed to have joined the club today, but the FN I was getting from someone on CL fell off their truck in transit and busted. :( Now I have to either wait for someone else to sell one or fork out the cash and buy a new one. It was a good deal too! Now it's probably going to the dumpster. What a waste.

I hate my chin's current cage. It's a major pain in the butt to clean and even squeeze his dust house in. I'm mourning the loss of what could have been... sigh.

Aww that stinks :no:

I have my cage and it's all set up and the boys are in it, but I dont think it's wortch showing you guys yet as all that's in there is some fleece liners, a house, a hammock, a few ledges, and some toys (oh and the two plastic shelves they come with but i plan on getting rid of those as soon as i can order shelves from forchinate chins.

Officially in the "Club".

The fleece is courtesy of Brittany.

The full monty...
DSC04159.JPG

Upstairs...
DSC04155.JPG

Downstairs...
DSC04157.JPG

I have ordered new metal litter pans, and I know I need to make some toys for them. I just learned how to do it the "cheap and easy" way last night. I'll be ordering a bunch of new wood to help them out with that.

I know I need to replace (if nothing else) the straps on the ship (and the ship itself), but they love it so much. I have a large hammock to put in, as well as the third level and several other hammocks and another tube. Can anyone recommend anything else that I could to add/do to make my babies more comfortable / interactive, etc?

I know I need to replace (if nothing else) the straps on the ship (and the ship itself), but they love it so much. I have a large hammock to put in, as well as the third level and several other hammocks and another tube. Can anyone recommend anything else that I could to add/do to make my babies more comfortable / interactive, etc?

The cage looks great! Red and black are my favorite colors. :)) I would suggest for you to keep a real close eye on the straps, maybe you can make straps out of fleece or get some thin long chains that you can get at home depot. That's where I bought mine so I can make my boys real long toys. The only other thing I would suggest you replace is that plywood house on the bottom. I had one and even though it's marketed for chinchillas, it is bad for them if they chew on it. :( Plywood is made up of thin sheets of wood that are glued together with a toxic glue.

http://www.waremfginc.com/sa-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=00834

Your right Sandi, I didn't even see it was plywood, never really paid attention to it. They don't use it at all, typically the only time it's used at all is when I take it out and use it for them to jump up into the cage after play time.

Plus, taking it out will give me some more room for another shelf or two ;-D

Here's my FN, I only just got it recently so it's still a little bit empty, but I'll be adding lots more soon! (sorry if the pictures are kinda big, I don't know how to fix them)

The Top:

SAM_0030-1.jpg

The Bottom:

SAM_0027.jpg

Whole Cage:

SAM_0036-2.jpg

Chester:

SAM_0042.jpg

Back