The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so impressed!!! I have one FN for my brother chins and I'm getting another one tomorrow for my other guy. I thought I was setting up their cages pretty cool looking but after seeing all these I have a lot more work to do and I must get more creative! I'm also buying the bass metal pans for my FN's. My boys are gonna be so spoiled! :)

Would a single chin be happy in a half level of an FN? I currently have one FN divided between my two boys, one who is disabled/can't jump and the other who is still growing, so it's a good size for both of them. But my two girls each have their own cages which definitely give them more room than a half FN would....one is in a superpet cage and the other in a fiesty ferret. Honestly the main reason I want a second FN is because it would look more uniform and take up less space than having these two cages instead. But would that be fair to my girls? They both love their cages...

half of a fn 142 is plenty enough room for one chin. just be sure to put in plenty of things to keep them occupied (hanging toys, toss toys, a wheel, a hammock, a hidey house, etc).

what sites do you guys get your cage accessories from? thanks a bunch!

you can make shelves/ fleece yourself, but if you posses absolutly no sewing/ powertooling abilities like me, there are plenty of websites. If you go to the classifieds section you will find a grand master list of reliable chin supplies suppliers. :)

Finally I'm getting closer to finishing my chin's fns. After a month of hacking, sawing, sanding, glue, bolting and endless splinter. The upper level is their sleeping and play area, lower level is eating area. There's more work that's needed for downstairs still. Of course I have to give credit to Allison on the wonderful hello kitty fleece items. Hopefully I can finish everything else by the end of the month.

This is the top level of the boys cage. Bridge does have railings and replaceable bars from chewing. They can crawl through the bar space, but not get stuck.
IMAG0026-1.jpg

This is the top level of the girls cage, identical to boys but pink vs blue
IMAG0031-1.jpg

Boys and girls cage side by side.
IMAG0035-1.jpg

Lastly Mr Chubs believes he needs to rest his left arm a bit on his new shelf :laughitup:
IMAG0036-1.jpg

Love the last pic :laughitup:

I can't see the cage ones to good, but I am interested to see what I think is the bridge. Anyway you can make the pics a little bigger?

Yeah Chubs tends to think he's a stud in his own little way.
Next thing is to do a new hideaway house, but can't find a good price on a hole saw. With the prices I saw, I'm better off just buying a the hide away house lol. The bridge isn't exactly how I wanted it, but should I make it the way I wanted originally the spacing could actually hurt either toes or they could get stuck in the bars. The bridge is just a plain ledge with the railings on it.
Here's the original size.
IMAG0031.jpg

thats cool. would you be willing to make and sell those? I would be interested I think

Thanks. At this moment, I'll bluntly say not right now. I got so much splinters making those arches not to mention snapping 2 arches in half :rofl:
The cutting is also not so perfectly straight, you can't see my opps cut from the pic hehehe. I haven't done any wood work for over 12 years lol, but once I get better at it I might end up making them for sale :wink2:

Thanks Shelly, I still have a lot to add to it. I thought about putting a wheel in it, but knowing my chins they'll hurt themselves probably. Still thinking about it though hehehe. I'll probably add more and more toys or something.

Thanks Shooper. I'll be building more stuff once my million splinters heal hahaha. I can't wait to finish up with the decorations in both cages. I have officially learned that making double or buying double of everything SUCKS! I'm so glad I only have one child. To think I have to to not only double on chin accessories, I'll have to double on kid accessories I'll go crazy :wacko:

I recently got an FN and was going to wait until my bass pans and fleece liners arrive to post pictures. My pans came yesterday, and I've got to say, they work wonders!! There's about 95% less poop on the floor this morning than there usually is. I'm in Heaven!!!

I recently got an FN and was going to wait until my bass pans and fleece liners arrive to post pictures. My pans came yesterday, and I've got to say, they work wonders!! There's about 95% less poop on the floor this morning than there usually is. I'm in Heaven!!!

Really?! Do you have the center level in still?

I tried asking this in another thread a week ago but didn't get any responses; this thread has more traffic so trying here:

I've had my FN for about 4 months now and I've been scared to do a full cleaning. I keep seeing threads about people who buy used FN142s and they are rusted from being hosed down? I don't want to clean it with water if it's going to rust. Is there some way to still be able to clean it without rusting?

It really needs it, I didn't notice until this weekend that while 3 sides of the cage look great yet, the back is where all the urine is dripping down the bars and drying thick on the cross bars, and starting to smell. I wiped what I could with vinegar/water and paper towels but it needs a FULL cleaning.

I also plan to introduce my new girl to my existing pair in a few weeks and want to clean it before that happens to make it a neutral area.

vinegar and water is what is recommended to clean it.

I bought mine used and sprayed it out with a hose with no problem.

Back