The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Are they loud? Every chinchilla cage I've owned has forced me out of my bedroom at night.
-Are they easy to move? (if I were by myself, could I move the cage from an apartment to the U-Haul?)
-Does the cage split into two parts? I have 2 males, 1 female
-Do they only sell them online or are they available in some stores?

I find mine quieter than my old Martin's cage, but I made a couple of changes to help keep the noise down. It is very loud if you keep the plastic pans in it, but with the Bass pan and a pillowcase under it, I don't hear much except the jingling of the bells I put on their toys. The wheel rattles the cage a bit, but I don't think it would make a lot of noise if you set it up better than I bother to (it isn't in my bedroom) and worked it out so you don't have all the jingling bits that I have..

I have taken apart, loaded into my car, drove across country, and put it back together again all by myself. It is a little on the heavy side, but it has wheels for room to room movement and it comes apart pretty easily. It is a little too big to move on your own without taking it apart.

I have a 142 (2 level) without a center pan, but plenty of people split it into 2 cages. Potentially you could have as many levels stacked on top of one another as you want, but I don't think it is very stable after a while. I think 3 is the max that I've seen in a single cage.

I bought mine online because it was the cheapest way to go, but I've seen them in stores as well. It was delivered like 2 days after I ordered it though.

I find mine quieter than my old Martin's cage, but I made a couple of changes to help keep the noise down. It is very loud if you keep the plastic pans in it, but with the Bass pan and a pillowcase under it, I don't hear much except the jingling of the bells I put on their toys. The wheel rattles the cage a bit, but I don't think it would make a lot of noise if you set it up better than I bother to (it isn't in my bedroom) and worked it out so you don't have all the jingling bits that I have..

I have taken apart, loaded into my car, drove across country, and put it back together again all by myself. It is a little on the heavy side, but it has wheels for room to room movement and it comes apart pretty easily. It is a little too big to move on your own without taking it apart.

I have a 142 (2 level) without a center pan, but plenty of people split it into 2 cages. Potentially you could have as many levels stacked on top of one another as you want, but I don't think it is very stable after a while. I think 3 is the max that I've seen in a single cage.

I bought mine online because it was the cheapest way to go, but I've seen them in stores as well. It was delivered like 2 days after I ordered it though.

Thank You so much for your response!

Which Bass pan do you have? Is it easy to split the cage up?

Is this the cage you have? http://www.cagesdirect.com/ferret-nation-habitat-625h-p-1019.html

:bowdown:

My cages have more stuff in them now, but this was a few months ago:

62beea40.jpg

4a824850.jpg

Top half of Kuma & Felix's cage
f20373ba.jpg

bottom
95c4cddb.jpg

5c9e6ded.jpg

Thank You so much for your response!

Which Bass pan do you have? Is it easy to split the cage up?

Is this the cage you have? http://www.cagesdirect.com/ferret-na...5h-p-1019.html

Yup, that's it. It is sent to you as a 2 level, single cage, with a middle pan that has a notch out of it in the back right corner. Bass sells metal drop pans that are actually made specifically for (I think...) chinchilla owners with FNs. They sell full pans for the bottom and they sell the notched pans for the top. You can get two full pans if you want to split the cage. Here's the link:

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

I feel like I am depriving my chinchillas now.
I do have a question though, I don't see bedding in any of those cages, does FN now allow for something like that? Or.. is there something I am missing and can't see. [Which is most likely what's happening]

How much do cages like that cost anywho?
I think I have a pretty large cage as is.. but nothing like those. I have a log.. and some chewies hanging from teh cage.. but you guys have a gym as their home!

I dont have bedding in mine, however you can. I use fleece liners, they are in the long run cheaper, and for me easier. Just a matter of personal preference.

As for price it depends on where you go. Ferret.com will price match, so I had them price match Kennelvet.com's price and it was like 160 with shipping, however, they have been getting fussy about it.

Fleece liners!? Geeze, I should invest in one of those.

I guess I can wait on the new cage, at least for now. I am sure they cost WAY more then I got both of the cages I have now. [$30 and $6] I am too much of a bargain shopper. >.<

I love them, I have 4 sets now for each cage, and I change them every few days. They are awesome, and no more mess on the floor.

Where did you get yours? I don't think I have seen them before to be honest.

I sew my own liners for my FN. Here's the tutorial that Stackie posted back on CnQ that was transferred over here...

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907&highlight=tutorial

(and this whole Stackie...Stakie...thing is going to get confusing!!)

ETA: You can also buy them--I'm not sure who sells them here, but I can give you the contact info for some sellers on the rat forum I'm also a part of who make and sell FN liners.

Yeah, forget sewing.. I would ruin it. I should invest in buying a couple. That's for sure!

Nice thread, now I can gork at everyone's cages, I've been wanting to rearrange mine like forever.....
All your cages looks so good. :D

I dont have bedding in mine, however you can. I use fleece liners, they are in the long run cheaper, and for me easier. Just a matter of personal preference.

As for price it depends on where you go. Ferret.com will price match, so I had them price match Kennelvet.com's price and it was like 160 with shipping, however, they have been getting fussy about it.

I had them match kennelvet.com price just today, they take into account the shipping cost of the other website now so my cost ended up being $188.

Oh, great, now I am questioning myself! Here I am, the poor college student that I am, scrapping together and saving up money to buy two Quality Cage townhomes and then I see this thread! I sure as heck don't have the $400 for the FN! AHH!

Ahem. So... what do ya'll think? Quality Cage still good or FN the new black? :D

Back