Safe Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our chinchillas now, though, aren't like chinchillas in the wild. They've been domesticated over the generations. Over those generations, their bodies have changed, their inner anatomy has changed. Chins in the wild also have been known to eat bugs. You gonna start feeding your chins crickets?

Sammy's favorite is Millet (a very healthy grain). I get the millet sprays that you give birds, and break him off a little piece every so often. It ends up being the equivalant of about a pinch of oats.

Well his actual favorite is grapes, but he doesn't get them. My dad gave him one every morning while he lived with them for a few months (I didn't have AC). I made him stop once I found out. I wasn't worried though, Sammy is 11, he's gotten such a variety of foods over the years, that I know things don't generally upset his tummy too much.

They are not opportunistic, they exhibit opportunistic feeding patterns. In the wild the only fruit they eat are from a cactus, and it is shown they eat cactus for water. However, agreed that our domestic chins are different than those in the wild.

I understand hindgut fermentation. It's not so much "good" and "bad" bacteria, but the two types work in different ways to digest different substances.

It is about the good and bad, the bad produce toxins if given the opportunity to flourish. If this happens the prognosis is grim, go back and read my second link.

Last edited:
If given the opportunity to flourish, which is why the need for moderation.

It is clear we disagree, I think for brevity's sake, we should just agree to disagree on this one. My animals are healthy and happy, with no significant health problems. So, I am comfortable continuing doing things the way I have been. I can respect that you disagree with that. I hope you can respect my position as well.

We can agree to disagree I said from the beginning that I think if it is something they are used to it will not kill them. I do think there will be long term effects, and possibly a shorter life. The moderation for me is a problem, you upset it worse if it is something they are not used to, but you feed other sugary treats. Also the, oh poor boo boo you are sick have a raisin should be avoided. They are going to be more prone to problems when their immune system is already down.

Sammy's favorite is Millet (a very healthy grain). I get the millet sprays that you give birds, and break him off a little piece every so often.

I wouldn't give your chinchilla millet. I took in a rescue who was being fed parrot food. She actually pooped out the millet- her poos were little round white balls. They can not digest it. Not a good idea for a treat at all.

hey i was jsut wondering i have shreaded wheat with bran...
in my house, is the bran okay for them? or should i be gettting just
the plain no bran shreaded wheat??

question about rosehips whole vs crushed....

a) will crushed rosehips have a less nutrients/vitamins worth since it is crushed and sifted?

b) what are your preferences to feeding the chins? would whole ones be hypothetically easier to feed than the crushed?

c) how big is a whole rosehip? a coco puff? an almond? a cherry? i've seen pictures of it, but i can't really picture the actual size of the rose hip.

d) do they have a expiration date? or a "best if used by" date?

thanks in advanced!

All of my chins except for 1 prefer the whole rosehips. They are so cute holding it in their hands and chewing on it. I don't think whole vs crushed really affects the nutrients. Size wise they are between the size of a coco puff and almond. Some are the size of a coco puff but most are bigger.

Does anyone give their chins dried whole wheat pasta? It seems I read on the CNQ site that that was a safe treat.

I've heard about the pasta, too. I don't know whether it is considered a goo d treat or not. I would like to know, though.

What about lonestarchinchiila.com? They sell fruits... and i highly doubt they would sell anything that would kill a chinchilla.

Back