Paralyzed Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that poor boy.....I just want to scratch his chin and kiss him....I am glad that this lady came around finally and surrendered him. Good luck with him and his vet visit tomorrow....hope it is good news.

It's gotten to the point today to where every time I walk into the living room and he sees me, he cries. This isn't a normal cacking sound, it honest to god sounds like he is crying. I don't know if he is afraid of me after everything I had to do to him today, or if he is honestly trying to tell me something. :(

Aww that is so sad Essentia. Maybe he is thanking you for all you have done for him. I will keep you and him in my thoughts and prayers....i hope everything goes well tomorrow. Keep us updated !

It has come to my attention OrlandoChins that the vet he went to is a complete and utter quack. The emergency vet side used to have to take his patients because he was too drunk to work on them himself.

That makes me feel good....

She also told me that her chin made the same "sobbing sound" after surgery which makes me think he is indeed in pain.

I honestly can't handle this "sobbing". It is completely breaking my heart. Now that I am in the living room he keeps doing it, and I am nowhere near him. I think it wasn't that I was touching him earlier, I just think he wants me to hear it in general.

Unless the vet tells me some amazing news tomorrow I am going to put him down. I have been told by several people that you can tell by looking into their eyes, and his eyes look dead. You can even see it in the picture.

I told my husband earlier that he was the exact chin I was looking for to pair with Buttons. Exact personality, had a cage mate before, coloring beautiful, sweet as can be...so I don't want you to even think for a second that I am trying to take the easy way out. My husband fell in love with him the second he saw him, so I know this is going to be hard for him as well.

I am just....I don't even know.

So heartbreaking.... I hope he pulls through. I wish you all the best with this cute little chinnie!

I am sorry, but yes this chin needs to be put down. They are not strong enough in their front paws to handle any kind of wheel chair and wheel type thing to help them get around. It would not move easily through shavings or more importantly on fleece. Animals aren't like people. They don't have a book to read or music to listen to to enrich their lives should they become handicapped. Jumping is what a chin does and if he cann't do this, then his quality of life isn't there.
I know how difficult this is for you--but with the noises he is making he is clearly in pain and shouldn't have to suffer this way.
Blessings to you Crysta for this journey you've taken.

Lan, I agree. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what he says. He is very straight forward and won't tell me some crap like the other vet. I want him to look at the xray and tell me what he sees.

If I am going to put him to sleep, I am going to take him home for a day, give him some metacam and spoil him rotten. He deserves that. I am going to give him all the "treats" that chins love and aren't supposed to have. I am going to hold him and love him and give him all the attention he never got where he was before. Only then will I send him over the rainbow bridge.

I'm from the hedgie side, and have been stumbling over to this side more often. These are such cute animals, I would love to have, but can't keep so cold, so I just look. (sorry off topic) I keep coming back to this today. It's so sad. I don't know how people can be like this with pets, they are so helpless. Reading your last post almost made me cry, and I don't do it often. My thoughts are with you and Houdini. Spoil him apsolutely rotten. Drag him around the house in your arms, petting him (not in a mean way, of course, I think I've seen they don't like being held? but maybe it will comfort him), love on him, give him lots of treats. Maybe sit outside so he can smell stuff, I don't know if they like that, but everything that they can't have, but want, give him. I hope it's good news, though, always have hope. I'm so sorry. Something about Fl seems to bring bad people, you here about it to often here, not as much as the good people, like you and other people I've seen post on the board. I know nothing I or anyone says can really help, I wish I could offer more, but I truely hope for the best, and he will know, if you do have to help him cross, that he will be loved at the end.

Sending my prayers for this cute little guy. What a hearwrenchhing story--and the
poor little chin--seems like he is talking to you and expressing himself--and what a
fantastic job your doing on the caregiving.

I'm sure hoping the vet will have a miraculous diagnosis for your chin. If not, I am in total support of you taking him home and spoiling the heck out of him for a day. He really does deserve that and I think it's wonderful that you thought to do that. I just feel so terrible for the little guy to be going through this ordeal, but I'm so happy he found someone that will do what is right for him!

Wow, Crysta, what a heartbreaking story. I have to agree with the euthanasia. His quality of life just doesn't seem good at all...but perhaps there is small hope that your vet will give you. I'm so glad that he is with you now because either way his last days or future days will be wonderful...and that will be the world to him.

What a sad, SAD story....

Crysta, we know you will make the right decision for him. Even if that decision is one of the hardest that we as pet owners ever have to make... it can also be one of the kindest. Good luck at the vet today, the three of you are in our thoughts.

My heart goes out to you during this time. I know how hard dealing with this type of situation is. It is such a tragic story... But I know how much love and care you are giving him, and it is much deserved. He will finally be one happy chinnie, whatever the outcome may be.

I'm sorry to hear about everything you are going through with him. Either way-you will make the right decision for you and him. My only question is-is he on steriods/prednisone? When my hamster became paralyzed hubby put him on dexamethasone which worked like a charm for her. Usually they have them on some sort of steriod for that type of injury.

Jessica

The tip of his penis is exposed. It is raw right now, so I am thinking the shavings will irritate it. I will see how the towel works. I would think it would draw the liquid away from him. I will be changing the towel daily since he is laying in the same spot.

With his back legs not working he literally just lays in his cage. If I take him out (like I did very carefully when I wanted to check him over) he will scoot around. I payed him on the counter for a moment and he went to sliding all over the counter. I just don't think there is any quality of life there. :( He seems so depressed, which heck, I would be as well.

It's gotten to the point today to where every time I walk into the living room and he sees me, he cries. This isn't a normal cacking sound, it honest to god sounds like he is crying. I don't know if he is afraid of me after everything I had to do to him today, or if he is honestly trying to tell me something. :(

She also told me that her chin made the same "sobbing sound" after surgery which makes me think he is indeed in pain.

I honestly can't handle this "sobbing". It is completely breaking my heart. Now that I am in the living room he keeps doing it, and I am nowhere near him.
I think it wasn't that I was touching him earlier, I just think he wants me to hear it in general.

Unless the vet tells me some amazing news tomorrow I am going to put him down. I have been told by several people that you can tell by looking into their eyes, and his eyes look dead. You can even see it in the picture.

Lan, I agree. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what he says. He is very straight forward and won't tell me some crap like the other vet. I want him to look at the xray and tell me what he sees.

If I am going to put him to sleep, I am going to take him home for a day, give him some metacam and spoil him rotten. He deserves that. I am going to give him all the "treats" that chins love and aren't supposed to have. I am going to hold him and love him and give him all the attention he never got where he was before. Only then will I send him over the rainbow bridge.

I have read this thread several times today and I feel that I must say the following - for the benefit of the chin. :(

I have emboldened some of your posts to highlight the key points - I do not think it is in the best interests of this chinchilla to be kept alive in pain and distress. He needs PTS sooner rather than later and he certainly does not need to be brought home from the vets to continue to be in pain for 24 hours so that you can assuage your guilt (which is not yours to take on!) for his past care - Please take this as it is meant - I am not being heartless but he needs a peaceful and dignified ending, not treats and cuddles - those are primarily for your benefit.
Many of us have taken on rescues in dire situations where the chins have been in pain or distress - we've been faced with decisions like you are having here and part of the whole process is knowing when to stop for the benefit of the chin, no matter how much you'd like to try and "make it better" for them. I see he's been struggling since 9th April - his penis is raw, he is clearly in pain, by your own admission his eyes are lifeless and he has lost the spark - he deserves to be PTS - it is the kindest, most humane act anyone can perform for him now.

We'd all like to be able to make every chin that comes through rescue better - sometimes it cannot be done and the heartache of letting them go, of feeling one has failed can be overwhelming - but I truly believe there is a place and time for letting an animal go and what I have read here makes me believe this is true in this situation. People can disagree with me and everyone is entitled to their opinion but were I in this situation the chin would be at peace already and not "crying" in pain, paralysed, and with no spark of life in his eyes - it's killing both of you. :(

Last edited:
My vet called me directly this morning from his home and told me he had to take a personal day for an emergency in his family. He apologized and asked if I could come in tomorrow and made me an appointment for right when they open.

I just want it to be known that he is for sure being put down in the morning. My husband and I talked it through and we feel that is the best decision for him.

Today he is pulling himself around his cage, eating, and enjoying being pet and such. He seems to be in better spirits, which is what makes the decision even harder.

Even with taking care of him for 2 days I have realized that there is no quality of life. He pees all over himself and can't dust. He literally drags himself around his cage which will eventually lead to sores. I absolutely refuse to let him live like this for the next 10 years. As much as I wanted to give him a chance I realized I was trying to give him a chance to make ME feel better, not him.

I am so sad for this poor little chin. I have read this whole thread and it just breaks my heart. I guess what makes it worse is that his condition could have been avoided. Putting an animal to sleep is never an easy decision..whether its the right one or not.

People can disagree with me and everyone is entitled to their opinion but were I in this situation the chin would be at peace already and not "crying" in pain, paralysed, and with no spark of life in his eyes - it's killing both of you.

He started that the afternoon I picked him up. I called my vet that day to bring him in and he wasn't there. Unfortunately the family emergency was yesterday and spilled in today. I wrote all of that about him the same day I picked him up. I have him on metacam, and I upped the dosage to twice a day, 12 hours a apart instead of the once a day it said on the syringe. I want to make sure he doesn't feel much until I am able to put him down tomorrow. That could be why he is more active today as well since he feels a bit better. Either way, his hasn't been "crying" at all today and made the little scritchen face when I scratched under his chin. That just broke my heart.

Keep me in your thoughts tomorrow. This will be the first time I have put an animal down while taking part in it. I always had my dad go do it when I was younger. I never wanted to be there. Tomorrow I want to be there. I am also going to take his body home and bury him under the magnolia tree since he loved chewing on his magnolia twig today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back