Need chin pics & links for website

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say I agree with everything you write, but nice job on the site. Let me know if you want some tips on how to get traffic.

What don't you agree with? As far as I know, pretty much everything I have written has been widely accepted as appropriate for chins as pets- it is written for pet owners, not breeders. However if it's something controversial, I'm open to changing it. Like I said, I was open to criticism and suggestions.

Last edited:
I agree, I see nothing wrong on Chination, but I do disagree with a few things in your health section-the bumblefoot treatment, the hairing cause and the vague talk about malo-should be more info there.

I agree that there could be more information on the bumblefoot and hair rings, but the malo page looks fine. The pages are meant as a general guideline and for basic information. If you go into more detail than that I don't think people would even bother to read it.

Looks great Stace!!!:thumbsup:

The website I disagree with is Chin Source about bumblefoot treatment, hairings and malo, not Chination, just to clarify. I think since Malo is a problem pet owners may face, I would rather the page be detailed like Chination and not vague like Chinchilla Source, its too important of subject to gloss over.

Let's see, I know several large breeders who feed alfalfa daily and exclusively. I've never scene an article about poor health effects associated with alfalfa.

Tap water may be fine - you just have to test it. Fresh water daily is unneccesary.

Let's see, even Shoots says you can use raisins, especially for training.

Many foods are so similar you don't need to be so gradual with a change.

I'm pretty sure most breeders use runs mostly made of fiberboard. They don't chew it (no edges), but it appears to have no adverse effects.

Isn't there chewable plastic at the bottom of that lixit bottle you recommend?

I'm not a big fan of the gradual introduction, as I've seen it lead to failure more than other ways. It might be useful to at least mention that there are other techniques. I like the smoosh, personally.

Some dogs are fine - some have the predator instinct bred right out of them.

I think leaving the chin alone for a few days after you get them is actually counterproductive - again, there are other, valid opinions.

I know some of these ideas are trashed on these forums by those who see an opinion written enough they think it the rule. But larger breeders with much experience often know differently.

And "ticklechin" - how much does the pet owner need to know before "if you have this, see a vet"? Where does your extensive knowledge come from?

See I think the thing is though, that with new chin owners, and some owners who aren't so sensitive towards their chin needs, they aren't going to go in depth, so the more caution you give the better.

Because, how many new chin owners are going to test their tap water? It'd be just as easy to say use filtered water, that way you're sure there's no giardia (provided you replace the filter often enough)

Again with the raisins. Some say they're okay (I personally don't think they are based on how the chinchilla digestive system works) but if you say one is fine, then some owners are going to take that and run with it. One is fine, so why not 10 a day?

The lixit bottles, you can easily block off the plastic tip with a washer.

Telling new chin owners to smoosh their chins for intros can really be hazardous I think. They'll think it's okay to leave their chins smooshed together for hours which isn't the way it's meant to go. And, many new chin owners won't understand that they should be so close as to not be able to fight.

The website I disagree with is Chin Source about bumblefoot treatment, hairings and malo, not Chination, just to clarify. I think since Malo is a problem pet owners may face, I would rather the page be detailed like Chination and not vague like Chinchilla Source, its too important of subject to gloss over.

:wacko: Totally didn't read that first one as a response to Shouts. I agree with you now that I've looked at the site.

Shouts...while ranchers do know a lot and I use them to answer most questions they are not the be all end all of chinchilla knowledge or treatment. I am by no means saying they do not have good advice but even the best sometimes slip and say one faulty thing that pet people run with. Shoots has recommended the use of raisins...not for training...but for when you bring new chinchillas home. The extra sugar gives them a boost and keeps stressed chins from going into a state of shock and possibly dying.

Not all tap water is fine. I've talked to MANY ranchers that all say to filter your water unless you want to test it every time you use it. They've repeated to me time and time again that their tap water would be fine and then the next year they'd get an outbreak of giardia. Can you name one rancher that does not use filtered water?

I've seen smoosh method fail ten times more than gradual introduction. People don't realize that smoosh means no room to stand or fight each other...they assume smooshed means a cat carrier or small run. I personally prefer to use Vick's or Vanilla extract on the noses and then clipping whiskers of aggressors...I've had 100% success with it. I don't think EVERYONE should and has to use that method or even HAVE to be informed about it. Yes it would be a good idea for Stace to mention these on her website, but it's not dastardly that she missed it.

I agree that leaving the chin alone for a couple days can be counter productive...but I've never seen a rancher that jumps into bothering and going around new chins. I usually don't handle new chins for a week. I talk to them and spend time with them but I don't think forcing myself has ever gotten me far with chins. I don't think they should be only fed, watered and left alone but there's a middle ground to when you first bring a chin home. Talk to it and get it used to you...but sometimes too much too soon can cause a chin to stress, go into shock, and then die. It's happened to me, other large breeders, and ranchers.

Dogs near chins are usually fine, I agree, but my small dogs are not allowed in the chin room because my pregnant females and females with babies don't appreciate the presence of something that SMELLS like a predator.

ETA: About the water...while fresh water is not necessary daily. Have you SEEN some of those pet water bottles???:err: If those people leave it till it gets empty those things grow algae and get nasty. Pet people have an amazing ability to misinterpret what is written...I think how Stacie has it is a great guideline for a new pet owner.

Last edited:
The "filters" most people use doesn't remove parasites anyway - so it's a false sense of security. We all build up a resistance over time to many things.

Uhhh.... what do you think I was talking about? You're TRAINING your chinchilla when you bring them home.

And I guess you don't see smoosh done correctly. There's other variations, but I find the gradual method a waste of time. I can pair chins in a day, and I've never had a complaint. The implication of mentioning one method is that it is the only way.

I was talking about pet owners leaving alone chinchillas. It's unnecessary and can actually set you back. As a breeder I leave them alone, too, sometimes, but I'm not looking for them to fall asleep on my shoulder.

I just love how people think reading these boards makes them experts on chins. I know several breeders that would never venture here to see what people spout as gospel.

I never said her site was bad... and mine is not either. I just said I didn't AGREE with everything. And many more people visit my site than hers... I'm happy to help her with that, but if you guys want to quibble about your "facts" let's move to the debate forum.

I love your website. Before I made the decision to get a chin, I did a lot of reading and there were a few things I wasn't expecting after the chin got home. I wonder if you could add something about fur slippage on the link on how to safely handle your chin. The breeder told us about it, but it will happen if you grab a startled chin by the tail, so it might be something to mention. Also, I wonder if you can emphasize that people not grab toward the end of the tail because they can also drop their tail. I realize you can detail things to the nth degree and you can never please everyone, but these are some things that might help new owners.

Thanks for putting so much effort into your website!

The "filters" most people use doesn't remove parasites anyway - so it's a false sense of security. We all build up a resistance over time to many things.

So chins are just like us? I don't think I've ever met a chin resistant to giardia...my filter and the filters that the ranchers use actually work which is what they recommend to pet people and breeders alike.

Uhhh.... what do you think I was talking about? You're TRAINING your chinchilla when you bring them home.

I guess I'm training my chins not to die? This is confusing to me. Because you bring a chinchilla home you are automatically training it? Training to pet people implies getting the animal to do tricks.

And I guess you don't see smoosh done correctly. There's other variations, but I find the gradual method a waste of time. I can pair chins in a day, and I've never had a complaint. The implication of mentioning one method is that it is the only way.

I have seen it done correctly and watched it fail. Just because a method works for you does not mean it will work without fail for everyone else in the world. Also, if you noticed...I did mention it would be a good idea for Stace to put more in about introduction methods.

I was talking about pet owners leaving alone chinchillas. It's unnecessary and can actually set you back. As a breeder I leave them alone, too, sometimes, but I'm not looking for them to fall asleep on my shoulder.

I know this? Did you read my response or just take parts of it to support your "I am the only one who listens to ranchers and talks to Shoots" mantra?

I just love how people think reading these boards makes them experts on chins. I know several breeders that would never venture here to see what people spout as gospel.

I don't believe this. I also don't believe just because you've talked to a rancher a few times it makes you an expert on everything chinchilla. Knowledge needs to be taken from a wide variety of sources, measured and then judged for accuracy. Just blindly believing something because it was mentioned here or so and so said it...is a failure. I know many ranchers and breeders that don't bother with online not because of what is said but because they don't NEED to. In order to sell chins or make connections all they need do is go to a show or put out a website. People find them through the internet and through many of us here on the boards.

I never said her site was bad... and mine is not either. I just said I didn't AGREE with everything. And many more people visit my site than hers... I'm happy to help her with that, but if you guys want to quibble about your "facts" let's move to the debate forum.

I never said your website was bad either. You offered criticism on her website and we just returned the favor. I'm sure your site has had more visitors...it's probably been up a lot longer. If you want to quibble because everyone is not "UHHHHH" ranchers...take it to the debate section.

First off, the website was basically written as a new owner guide, not for people that have owned chins, know what signs to look for, and are well versed in their care.

Let's see, I know several large breeders who feed alfalfa daily and exclusively. I've never scene an article about poor health effects associated with alfalfa.

I have read of instances that alfalfa could result in bladder stones in some chins due to excess calcium, and since most chin pellets are alfalfa, timothy is more recommended. I wouldn't feed an alfalfa pellet and an alfalfa hay. Timothy is also readily available. Many, many more pet owners use timothy rather than alfalfa.

Tap water may be fine - you just have to test it. Fresh water daily is unneccesary.

I don't know of many people that test their tap water before giving it to their animals- even small amounts of parasites can affect a chin. It isn't much of a task to filter your water, and many, many people recommend it.

I will always give my chins fresh water- it's not like water is something that is scarce.

Let's see, even Shoots says you can use raisins, especially for training.

Just because Shoots does something doesn't mean I will agree with it- I have also read of instances that the giving of raisins has effected a chin detrimentally. A few may be okay- but a new pet owner may see how much their chin loves the raisin and give it more, and more.

Many foods are so similar you don't need to be so gradual with a change.
I agree, I have done a few "cold switches"- but it also doesn't hurt to educate about feed switches. I will add information about the cold switch, though.

I'm pretty sure most breeders use runs mostly made of fiberboard. They don't chew it (no edges), but it appears to have no adverse effects.

Once again, this website was made for pet owners- not breeders. Pet owners aren't going to use runs. I would never give a chewing animal a shelf made out of board that was made with toxic materials (the glue holding it together.)

Isn't there chewable plastic at the bottom of that lixit bottle you recommend?

I haven't had much problem with my chins chewing them, some have a few chew marks, but none of it is enough for them to ingest to cause a huge amount of concern. Plastic shelves, on the other hand, are large and can be chewed in excess.

I'm not a big fan of the gradual introduction, as I've seen it lead to failure more than other ways. It might be useful to at least mention that there are other techniques. I like the smoosh, personally.

That's your opinion- a new owner doing a smoosh is just scary IMO. I'm not a big fan of the smoosh. I will consider adding information about it. I will also be adding more detail into the intro methods, I just posted the methods that have worked best for me.

Some dogs are fine - some have the predator instinct bred right out of them.

While this is true, my chins get very nervous when my dog is in the room and I have had a few instances of them getting stress induced diarrhea because the dog stressed them so bad.

I think leaving the chin alone for a few days after you get them is actually counterproductive - again, there are other, valid opinions.

This may be once case, but I have had good success with a very timid rescue by leaving him alone for a week and letting him realize that not everything is going to eat him before trying to interact with him.

I know some of these ideas are trashed on these forums by those who see an opinion written enough they think it the rule. But larger breeders with much experience often know differently.

Larger breeders also have more experience with chins and know what signs to look out for, and what they are doing. Once again, this website was written for the new owner.

I appreciate your input but it seems you are trying to force a rancher's view on things that were meant to educate the new owner. Not everything a rancher does would be good to suggest to a new owner, who may take the advice a wrong way and actually end up harming their chinchilla. Everything I have written on my website has been, I believe, widely accepted in the world of pet chin ownership. If you were pointing out things that could actually be detrimental to a chin, that would be one thing. However, I feel everything on my website is safe and effective for the pet owner.

Ziora- thanks for the suggestion. I will add information about fur slips. :))

Last edited:
Well, if the 20 somethings and owners of a few chins think they're experts, so be it!

Well, if the 20 somethings and owners of a few chins think they're experts, so be it!

That's just stupid. Not exactly sure why you are acting like this- I would understand if my website was full of bad information. I said I was open to criticism and advice but you just seem to have an all knowing attitude. I guess since I haven't had 100 chins for 10 years I can't make a reputable website..even though it is full of accurate information.

It doesn't matter how many chins you own or how long you have had them...I could have 100 chins for years- that doesn't make me an automatic expert on chin care...you could still take crappy care of them. :rolleyes: What matters is I have chins that are well taken care of, I know how to take care of them, I have done my research. You can have 1 chin or 1,000 and still be knowledgeable.

Last edited:

I also think this is a pretty crappy, and untrue, thing to say. Both of you have good information on your site. Yes, some things differ because opinions on care differ, but I fail to see anything harmful/wrong on Stacie's site.

What the heck does age have to do with anything? I have seen young owners who have done their research and give fantastic care to chins. I have also seen the opposite with older owners who give really crappy care. I also don't see where the fact that someone doesn't own a ton of chins has anything to do with it. Yes, an owner of 100 chins may have more experience, but that doesn't mean that they do everything correct either.

Once again, opinions on care differ between each pet owner/breeder/rancher. Would I feed my chins raisins because it is widely accepted? Absolutely not. I know from experience that sugar throws off gut flora, so why bother when there are other options that won't possibly cause an issue? Like Stacie said, new owners take things in strides. If they see a chin liking a raisin, they are going to give them more...and more...and more.

Last edited:

I could see posting this comment if Stacie was a brand new chin owner making a site for the **** of it, but she's not. She's had chins for around 4 years now, and while that may not compare to YOUR experience, that's still a lot longer than most people she's targeting have had chins, let alone kept them alive. It's a very well informed website for PET owners. Not breeders, not ranchers. PET owners.

Ooookay? :thumbs: Just because I'm (and many other great chin owners) a 20 something doesn't mean I'm incapable of knowing things. ;) I would appreciate it if my thread wasn't cluttered up with simply posts of emoticons, so I can keep all the constructive information together in a somewhat organized fashion.

If anyone actually has anymore suggestions or criticism and can offer it in a mature fashion, I'm still open to it. :))

I've been breeding chinchillas longer than you have. From what you've said and what you have on your website...my knowledge far outweighs yours but I am not calling myself an expert or parroting and name dropping. Arrogance is not a replacement for knowledge. Tone down the testosterone...this isn't a pissing contest.

Hyperbole apart .............

I never said her site was bad... and mine is not either. I just said I didn't AGREE with everything. And many more people visit my site than hers...
Your site was originally built as a way of making money - I saw the original which was sold via eBay in 2008 (advert below) - this is why it is plastered with Google adverts & stuff so please don't get on your high horse about hits & visitors - not everyone is impressed by that. :rolleyes:
MASSIVE INCOME POTENTIAL
Perfectly Integrated Google Adsense For High Clickthru Ratio & Great Adsense Income
Amazon Banners On Most Pages of the Site - Targeted to the Site Theme
Products Page Affiliated with Amazon - Powered by RSS & Targeted to the Site Theme​

This is a highly informative, feature packed website business. Lots of fun, advice and expert knowledge for every visitor to enjoy. From excellent articles to, discounted books and more for anyone looking for information on chinchillas.

Back