MCBA York Show 2009

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not heated or cooled, but it's also mid-April. It'll be cool in the morning and then warm up in the afternoon.

I remember last year we were in a heat wave and concerned about the hall getting too warm for the chins. It didn't, it stayed cool enough even though it did get rather warm outside. The show is in the basement of the fire hall so it's pretty protected from the elements, so to speak.

As for food, there isn't any way to heat things either, unless you bring it. Some people bring crock pots to heat up their food, I had one of those heated pyrex bag inserts for casserole dishes one year... We do have use of the outlets though so if someone wants to bring a microwave, I'm sure it would be useful. This year I'm going to go with something shelf stable though to avoid the hassle.

Last year was insanely hot! But it was nice in the show room, I kept my jacket on the whole time. It's pretty protected from the elements, dipped down into the ground as it is.

as mentioned, we worried about over heat last year but it was fine. if we don't have an extended heat wave we should be fine (i have been going to this show for six year now i think and it has never been an issue).

yeah, SEC was really something. even the chins looked cold. heck, ANN WORE SHOES!!!!!!

i was the one feeding the fire and it is a good thing we did not run out of wood or this forum might have been smaller...

Last edited:
oh god yes it was cold at SEC... I wore flops (as I usually do even in the winter) and my toes were beyong frozen when they usually take the weather well...

I want to make some chocolate cherry mice and shape them into chins... but they'll probably melt.

Above normal temp. could mean anywhere from 60-75 degrees..... And I think last year it was in the high 70's and was still stable enough in there for the chins. So I wouldn't honestly be too worried about it.

As far as food goes, yeah if it's something that is going to melt, be sure to bring a cooler. If it's something that will need to be heated, please bring a way to heat it.....

mmk I've been asking around for a while, but so far no luck -

Will anyone who is going to the show have a standard v/c or black velvet v/c male that has been shown or out of champion lines? looking for blocky, dense and tight fur with good clarity for a v/c and a nice white belly (no ebony in the lines if possible). Sounds like I'm asking for a colorless diamond eh?

I was planning to purchase from a large rancher, but their price is absolutely outrageous IMO considering they tell me nothing about the animals fur, but only the size and I honestly am not as worried about size as I am the other qualities that my female is lacking considering she has great size.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be going too! My mom decided she wants to go to a show to see what all goes on, so I now I won't have to make the drive alone!
I'll see if I can dig something up for the raffle! I'll have some critical care w/me so if anyone wants any look me up!

Being a newbie - I need to ask, what is critical care? I heard it mentioned a few times, so I had to finally ask.

Critical Care is a ground up hay and other stuff food for convalescing herbivores. It is made by Oxbow, and is very good for hand feeding sick or injured chinnies!

...I posted in the supplies wanted already -but thought I'd post here too....

Does anyone going to the show have a FN plastic top level pan they'd be willing to sell and bring to York?

Jill

we have a lot of great colored tubes this year! got hearts, poka dots, cars, one with stars, soild colors and stripes! we also went ahead and cut some of the tubes up into rings for people who want to make toys with them or they are just fun to give to chins in rings. also have a ton of hanging wooden toys made up, some have bells on them.

tubes/ring bundles are $1 each and hanging toys are $2. first come first serve basis same as last year.

ETA: we are selling a new product this year, they are extra large tubes we put hardware on. they are all a deep red in color and are a success with our chins. there is only 8 for sale $5 each.

Last edited:
Back