how to make DIY chin wheels =]

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
borderp, if you're chins are using a 12" please remove it before they have permenant spinal injury... a wheel must be atleast 15" to prevent spine injury. One thing I like about the flying saucers is that people don't run on curved treadmills, yet they expect their animals to do so. The bigger surface the better it is for them to fully extend.

I went to the local Micheals store this evening looking for a 16x4 pan as someone here suggested. No luck. I found a 12x4 and 14x2 and a 16x2 pan. Very sturdy for our little guys, but nothing in the size I'm looking for.

This brings me to a question... I'm not sure a 16" wheel will fit our cage. I hear you loud and clear about the 12" plastic one we currently have. I told my wife I want to pull it out, but it'll have to wait until I have time this weekend to take thier cage apart. I'll need to find a way to keep it from turning inthe mean time.

I think I can find a 14x4", thats 2" bigger as well as deeper than I currently have and it will be without a center rod over thier backs. Or were you refering to the diameter circumference causes them to arch thier backs?

I just measured my cage, allowing for minimal flex of the wire cage do to the wheel while in use, I do not believe I have room for a 16" wheel. Looks like a 14" would fit comfortably . 15" would be pushing it. :impatient:

BorderP, it should be the diameter that is 15" across. I think some people have used 14's with small chins, but to me, it's not something I'd want to risk.

Have you considered a flying saucer? They take up less room than a round wheel and fit into cages easier because they are more compact. I know it seems like a big investment, but it's well worth it. I mean where else can you get a gym membership for two for a life time for $80?! :D

I may use a 14"-15" for now as our boys are small. Later, after a new cage (why didn't I find this forum before I bought my cages? :banghead: ) I can step up to a 16" later when I get room.

Our chins get about 30-60 minutes a night to run around the room unrestraind, but they do love the wheel!

I've designed and had some fabrication done on a heavy duty bearing/ bushing and shaft for a wheel. As this is 'free' for me to do, my only cost will be the wheel.

I really like the flying saucer, but thought they take up more space as they are angled and more on the side.

The money really isn't an issue. I like the challenge of making it.

I may use a 14"-15" for now as our boys are small. Later, after a new cage (why didn't I find this forum before I bought my cages? :banghead: ) I can step up to a 16" later when I get room.

Our chins get about 30-60 minutes a night to run around the room unrestraind, but they do love the wheel!

I've designed and had some fabrication done on a heavy duty bearing/ bushing and shaft for a wheel. As this is 'free' for me to do, my only cost will be the wheel.

I really like the flying saucer, but thought they take up more space as they are angled and more on the side.

The money really isn't an issue. I like the challenge of making it.

A wheel isn't a necessity, so maybe instead of risking it you can just wait? 30-60 minutes of run time a day is plenty anyway :)

14 or 15 is fine. The Ed wheel, that comes highly recommended is 14 inches. The chin spin, which many people also like is 15 inches.

I wonder if the chins can chew through the aluminum? I think that's what happened to Steve's. Just something to look out for in the future, maybe they won't touch it anyways.

So you glue the bearing onto the pan? With hot glue or something? I'm intrigued...gluing sounds way less daunting than having to cut through a pan with a rotary tool or something.

So, did you end up sing a lazy susan bearing? The cake pan is a great idea! I never thought of that. I made my own wheel using a feed pan. I kind of don't like it because it slopes downward a bit. The lazy susan bearing is a bit noisy, but I've gotten used to it. Wondered if that's what you used, or did you find something quieter?

yes i used a lazy susan bearing. and i have no idea if it's noisy or not lol cause they won't use it but when i spinned it myself to make sure, since a cake pan is kinda heavy, that they would be able too and it made no noise.

I wonder if the chins can chew through the aluminum? I think that's what happened to Steve's. Just something to look out for in the future, maybe they won't touch it anyways.

So you glue the bearing onto the pan? With hot glue or something? I'm intrigued...gluing sounds way less daunting than having to cut through a pan with a rotary tool or something.

We used adhesive. And we got it from the dollar tree. We were going to attach it with bolts or something like that and I was like no lets try gluing it first to see if that holds up. but once you put it on you have to let it sit for 24 hours then you can put it in the cage.

This is exactly what I did.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy you a lazy susan bearing, a min of 6 x6 peice of wood perferribly 7x7 ( make sure it's untreated pine ) 4, 2 1/2 inch quarter inch bolts, 8 small washers and 8 fender washers, 8 nuts, and adhesive glue. then go to a craft store ( i went to Micheals ) and get a wedding cake pan. make sure the pan is at the least 15 inches in diamater perferribly 16 inches , and at the least 3 inches deep but perferribly 4 inches deep. You take the bearing and center it on the peice of wood, mark the holes, drill the wood, bolt the bearing to the wood using the small washer, then measure on the pan and make a mark on the center and then go 3 inches from the center all 4 directions and then make a square with your marker.. apply the glue to the pan and bearing, press together and wait 24 hours and mount to your cage.

It makes no noise when I spin it, but like I said before they haven't used it at all. They are 2 years old and they had never had a wheel before so i figure that's the prob.

Are you 100% sure that is at least a 16" diameter pan? It looks about 12" and that might be why the chins don't use it. Before I knew better I had 12" plastic wheels and when I went up to 16" they all used them more.

I am 1000% sure it is wrote on the side of the cake pan!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Daddio 16x4 pans (he also has a 18x3 pan)
http://www.fondantsource.com/fatda16rocap2.html

also, I was thinking that since Fat Daddio sells only to his distributors that if there is a supply store near you you could check and see if they supply his bakeware. If so I would think that it could be special ordered. There is a cake supply store down the street from me and I am going to give that a shot. I hate paying shipping, and will be in Kissimmee, Florida next month (that's where Jester's is). I too have been wanting to make my own wheels.

Put a 12in ruler in front of your wheel, if its 16 in problem solved. I have a 16x4 in cake pan and it looks WAY larger than that wheel.

I'm very concerned that your chinchillas safety is resting on super glue that you bought for $1... I guess I wouldn't want my chin being injured because I was to cheap to buy a decent wheel.

it was adhesive.. not super glue.. way better.. and we put 20 lbs on it to make sure it wouldn't break or anything and there's no way it will. i would never put them in danger

Super Glue is an adhesive... anything that makes things stick is an adhesive. Tape is an adhesive. I'm curious though... you put the wheel up... then somehow fit 20 lbs of something on it? There is no way it will break? Are you sure? Can you prove that? I bet I could break it. It's not the weight of a chin running that causes the stress, it's the vibrations.

Super Glue is an adhesive... anything that makes things stick is an adhesive. Tape is an adhesive. I'm curious though... you put the wheel up... then somehow fit 20 lbs of something on it? There is no way it will break? Are you sure? Can you prove that? I bet I could break it. It's not the weight of a chin running that causes the stress, it's the vibrations.

it's put together very very well.. im not a bit worried aout it and it's on the very bottom of the cage and it also has 2 more attachments holding it just in case.. im not arguing about this at all. the wheel is more than fine. thanks

You have a un-tested design of a wheel, that has 20lbs of glue on it that you have no idea if it can stand up to vibration, when that 20lbs of wheel comes crashing down and breaks the chins neck, that is what we are worried about and quite frankly you as the owner of the chins should be the one concerned. Why is it when concern if expressed those that express it are the bad guys, we are the good guys looking out for the welfare of your chins.

I tried Pat Catan's today. No luck on cake pans :( I'm heading to a bigger town tomorrow and I think they have a Michaels's there. Gonna try there before I order online. I hate paying shipping! Hope I find some! If not, found a site that sells the Fat Daddios for under 25 bucks.

no this wheel has been tested before my friends have it also.. so im done with this conversation.. not to be rude or anything but i don't agree with you at all

I think the cake pans are a great idea as long as they're the appropriate size. I, however, kind of agree on the gluing part. I know it's your wheel and your choice. I drilled holes through my feed pan and it's extremely secure. I didn't use the block of wood at all. I know there's no way possible for my wheel to come free from the cage. I think people are just worried that the adhesive on your wheel may give out, maybe in the middle of the night, and your chins could get hurt. When they run on their wheels, they run FAST and it really vibrates the whle cage quite a bit. People just don't want to see your fur babies get hurt.

I think the cake pans are a great idea as long as they're the appropriate size. I, however, kind of agree on the gluing part. I know it's your wheel and your choice. I drilled holes through my feed pan and it's extremely secure. I didn't use the block of wood at all. I know there's no way possible for my wheel to come free from the cage. I think people are just worried that the adhesive on your wheel may give out, maybe in the middle of the night, and your chins could get hurt. When they run on their wheels, they run FAST and it really vibrates the whle cage quite a bit. People just don't want to see your fur babies get hurt.

Well i would may be worried if they even used it lol.

I went to a rather large Michael's yesteday. Biggest they carry is 16x3 :( Guess I'm ordering some Fat Daddios! Can't wait to get them all up. I'm pulling all my cages apart today. Scrubbing everything down. Washing all their fleece. Was hoping to be able to put new wheels in all of them. Oh well. Good things come to those who wait lol.

Back