Getting another chinchilla.. have a few questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen an instance of chewing where it left the skin completely bald. They usually leave a small amount of fur that they can't chew off.

Agree. My fur chewer chewed up his whole back, but still left very very short hair, could not see the smooth skin at all, so i dont understand why it would be bald.... so instead of "fur chewing", he is "fur plucking"? weird.......

Was she housed near another chin in her previous home - I have seen pairs pull each other by the tail - that may be a possible cause of slip?

Well - it may grow back if she stops but it will take longer than the fur on her body. I have never read anywhere why tail fur grows so slowly compared to the rest of the fur. It puzzles me.

It almost looks like she got her tail caught and the hairs ripped out...maybe the tail healed and the hair just hasn't grown back? Her fur looks fine...it'd be odd if she plucked her tail hairs out...just keep an eye on her. She's a cutie! :)

It almost looks like she got her tail caught and the hairs ripped out...maybe the tail healed and the hair just hasn't grown back? Her fur looks fine...it'd be odd if she plucked her tail hairs out...just keep an eye on her. She's a cutie! :)

Will do! :) She's quite the sweetheart as well, she can't get enough scritches! I'll let everybody know the results of the tests when they come back!

How long would you estimate it would take for it to grow back completely if she stops for good?

When I got one of my chins, the tail fur had been clipped for a show. The show was about a month before I got him, and it took the fur almost 6 months to grow all the way back...and that was just clipped fur. It would obviously take quite a bit longer for fur to grow completely back.

Okay so the results are back... nothing came up on the fungal slides but apparently there are some signs of bacteria. The vet says she recommends bactine or a non-medicated antibacterial. What are your opinions on this? Is it worth treating this bacteria or just let it be?

Stacie, wow that's a long time! I guess I better get used to her bare tail :)

Did she say what kind of bacteria? All animals naturally have certain types of bacteria inhabiting the skin. It's a matter of it being normal flora or pathogenic.

So I called up and asked and she says the bacteria was normal and was not necessary to treat but that I could treat it if I continue to see her biting at her tail (which I haven't).

I think it's safe to say that this was a very bizarre case of obsessive compulsive fur plucking. :D

Back