Getting another chinchilla.. have a few questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

Hi everyone :) So I've had my little girl, Lilo (yes, like the show Lilo and Stitch!), for about 2 months now and I've decided that I'm getting another. I've saved up my money and worked extra jobs (I'm only 16) to afford her. I found her through an ad off craigslist. Her previous owner is moving and getting a new job and can't care for her anymore. She is letting me have her cage, toys, food, etc. for a really good price. I have been talking to her nonstop for a week to convince her that I can provide a great home for Chelsea (that's her name :) ).

So anyway, her previous owner (well, soon-to-be previous) has informed me that Chelsea has been biting the fur off the end of her tail out of boredom because she hasn't been able to give her enough attention. I just wanted to know how I should be prepared to deal with this? The previous owner took Chelsea to the vet and they said the hair would grow back as soon as soon as she got more attention and a better environment (that's where I come in!). Is there anything you guys would suggest for me to do about the fur biting besides giving her lots of love and attention?

Also, I plan on introducing Chelsea to Lilo. I have been viciously studying introduction threads, so I'm assuming my first step should be quarantining Chelsea from Lilo for 30 days? Or do I not have to do that since she's already a year old and it's clear she doesn't have any illnesses? And my second step is putting their cages next to each other? If there's anything you guys want to add about introducing two females, please do. Just the background on the girls: Chelsea previously lived with another female until her current owner purchased her and Lilo has been on her own for the two months she's been with me (she was with her mommy and brother before at the breeder's house).

Thanks so much in advance!
-Kelsey

You definitely need to do the 30 day quarantine. Just in case she's got something that she isn't showing symptoms of just yet. This will also allow you to make sure that it isn't something like fungus on her tail.

Something else to consider is that if she's a fur chewer, and you successully pair her with Lilo, she may also take to chewing Lilo's fur.

I would not start introductions as soon as quarantine is over. If she's already chewing from boredom, you don't want to add to her stress level by starting intros when she is still so new to your house. Hold off on that as long as you can to give her more time to settle in.

Thanks Laura, I will do the quarantine. And misty, thanks! I did not realize that she might chew Lilo's fur. I will hold off on introducing them in that case.

Just want to add that she may never stop chewing her fur, even with better care and attention. Sometimes they just fur chew.

Do you have a pic of her tail? It may be fur chewing or it culd be fungus or just rubbing from things in the cage. Just take the intros slow after the quarenteen.

I don't have a picture of her tail, as I am picking her up this weekend. But her current owner took her to the vet and the vet said it was fur chewing, not fungus. Could it still be fungus even after the vet has seen her and said otherwise?

How do I attach images?
Next to where it says Quick reply there should be a little yellow square which what seems like a landscape it is the 2nd thing from your right. You can use that to insert images.

Or if you look below where you type and click go advanced instead of quick reply, and then if you scroll down it should say additional options there you have the option to attach files. I think you could upload the pic that way too.

Last edited:
Thank you! Here are some pictures of Chelsea's tail, as well as some of her because I need some help deciphering her color! Her previous owner labeled her as pink white, but I am almost certain she is some type of beige. She has freckles on her ears which you may be able to see in the pictures. Also, her fur has a darker hue, it is not 100% white. And her eyes are a dark red. Could anyone let me know what color she is? :hmm:

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 40
Looks pink white to me. Pink whites have both a white and a beige gene, so they can have some beige on them and they can have ear freckles.

As for the tail... that's a new one to me, no idea. Good luck figuring out what's going on with that tail.

Take her in to a knowledgable vet. I don't think that's chewing, and you might need to treat for fungus or something...

Other than that, she's a very cute pink/white!! They are in the beige family, so to speak. You rarely see a totally white pink/white. My Tami's close but her tail has some beige at the base of it.

She has been to a vet but I'm assuming I shouldn't take their answer? They diagnosed it as chewing. It is very bizarre. Her previous owner had her using Kaytee dust, could that be the problem? If it were fungus, wouldn't it be visible?

I guess I should start hunting for another vet.. does anyone know of a vet experienced with chins in the Philadelphia area?

Bumping this up again! I took her to a vet today and they are running tests on the skin and fur from her tail. I'll let you all know how the tests come back in case anybody sees their chinnie doing this in the future (since it seemed so unfamiliar).

Does the skin look smooth, or does it look dry and flakey? It looks like she could have slipped the fur off in that area of her tail. Tail fur takes a pretty good amount of time to grow back.

It is smooth, which is why the vet doubted any kind of bacteria/ringworm but they ran the tests just in case. I don't think she slipped the fur since I saw her chewing at it and so did her previous owner. We think it might be an obsessive habit because her previous owner did not give her much attention or enrichment.

If its fur chewing from boredom there is a chance it may go away....My chin was a fur chewer from the pet store but knock in wood she has not fur chewed since I have had her her fur is all grown back and no signs of the fur chewing!! I know some will do it for life but its possible if its behavior from boredom they may stop after time and attention..but even if my chin fur chewed again I always love her shes so cute and congrats on getting a second chin!

I've never seen an instance of chewing where it left the skin completely bald. They usually leave a small amount of fur that they can't chew off.

Kerri, thanks! I'm hoping it's just chewing

And Stacie, I agree her case is really bizarre. She chewed it completely bald and yet the skin looks smooth and not irritated at all. They are testing for ringworm and whatever else comes up on the slides. What do you think it could be?

Back