Fritz...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I say this. I woke up this morning to Fritz laying on his side gasping for air. I opened his mouth to see if there was anything stuck, didn't see anything and ran for my keys. He layed on my lap while I drove to the closest vet who I know at least knows what a chinchilla is. Luckily he is literally 2 miles from me. When they saw him they rushed us in. Dr. Rossi listened to his little heart and his eyes got really wide. He said he has a serious heart murmur, at least a stage 5. After listening to his lungs he said his lungs were full of fluid. He thinks it's most likely from a very severe URI, but I never noticed any symptoms. :( He wasn't eating as well yesterday, but there was no sneezing, struggling to breath, or anything. He had days where he just wouldn't eat as well as others, so I had no idea.

Dr. Rossi gave him a Lasix injection and put him on oxygen. He was so limp and lifeless. He just layed there with no spark in his eyes, his color gone, barely breathing....it was so heartbreaking. Dr. Rossi and I looked at each other and we both knew what each other was thinking. We decided to end his suffering.

Fritz, I am so sorry I didn't notice sooner. I am so sorry I wasn't able to save you. You are now no longer in pain, from your wound, from your past, from everything. I appreciate Dr. Rossi letting me stay with you while they let you rest. It was hard, but I wanted to be with you to the very end. I am so glad I got to spend the last month and a half with you. I am happy I was able to give you all the things that your previous owner didn't. I will miss your daily hand feedings with your dinner music, your whisker kisses and just being able to be your mommy. I hope you had an inkling of just how much I cared about you even though I had to give you daily wound cleaning and meds that you hated. :( I miss you so much already and am so heartbroken seeing your empty cage and your little grave site under the pecan tree.

Rest in peace little buddy. Run and play with the other babies who are also now fat and happy.

Oh Crysta,I am so sorry to hear this.The poor baby had gotten through so much.But at least during his life he finally knew he had someone who loved and cared for him. The little fellow touched alot of hearts in the past month and I know how you must be hurting.Just know that you are in our prayers and that Mr Fritz is now completely healed and happy with the only other caretaker who could cure him and love him as much as you.:cry3:

Crysta--this is such a sad day. I am so sorry you lost Fritz. he touched many hearts. And I know he touched yours the most.
Once again I sit in my office with tears in my eyes for a special chin that has passed.
RIP sweet Fritz :(

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry to hear this. Rest in peace buddy.

Crysta you went above and beyond for him. It means a lot to me what you've done for him.

(tearing up in my cubicle at work)

I forgot to mention that he had only been off his antibiotics for a week. Dr. Rossi said the TMZ probably held the infection at bay but wasn't enough to kill it completely. He said with his bad nutritional state that his immune system was probably horribly deficient. There was no one in the house sick. :( There were also no other chins sick, and even then he was in a completely different room.

...I just feel so helpless. I feel like I should have done more, I should have noticed something he just wasn't showing me...

On a happy note though, which is how I want him to be remembered, here is one of my favorite videos of him. I loved his wiggly ears and cute tongue action when he was being fed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWUu-YEmaJw

Last edited:
I'm so sad to hear this! It seems so sudden, and I'm sure it is to you as well. At least he is no longer suffering...

Oh Crysta, I am so sorry about Fritz! That had to come on really quick, as he seemed just fine while I was there this weekend :( He was such a sweet little dude. Poor little guy just couldn't take it any more. *HUGS*

Crysta I am so sorry to hear about Fritz. At least he knew what love was and what life was REALLY supposed to be like in the time that he was with you.

Rest in Peace little Fritz.

Crysta you showed him what life could be and tried your hardest. You gave him the best for the short while you had him. I'm sure he passed on happy with you right by his side. RIP little Fritz.

Crysta, I am beyond sorry to hear about Fritz. It is amazing how such a little animal can touch the hearts of so many as Fritz has done. Fritz passed over the bridge knowing what love and kindness are because of you. Please don't feel guilty about anything, you did so many wonderful things for him. It was just his time, his poor little body just could not keep up with his soul and it was time for him to cross over the bridge and be free. I am sending lots of hugs to you :flowers7:

I am so sorry Crysta. I will never forget Fritz grooving to the beat of Gaga when you were feeding him, that video was priceless. He had the best mom in the world who wanted him so bad. I know you're sad and you did everything and more you could have done with this little guy. You gave him the best life he could ever have in the short amount of time he was with you. RIP sweet little Fritz. :(

Here you go Sandi. Fritz and his dinner music.
:hearts:

These are the times I would rather remember of him anyway.

Thank you guys for all the well wishes. You have no idea how much I appreciate all of you. ::hug3:

Oh Crysta, i'm so sorry. Try not to blame yourself... he was lucky to have you in his life even for a short time and i'm sure he loved you very much. RIP little Fritzy.

I loved the story of little Fritz. All I keep thinking right now is that I'm glad that he got to spend his last month with someone who gave him so much love and proper care. I am so sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back