Dwarf Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would like to know what you guys think of these two. They are a set of twins, one male and one female. They really look different from the rest of my babies and weigh the same as a litter that is 4 weeks younger than them. They had normal weights at birth.

Patty looks to have dwarf like features, Linus, to me, just looks small.

There are many types of dwarfism and I wouldn't call any of them the "true" dwarfism. I also wouldn't call it unethical to breed for dwarves. Especially if you are breeding for the viable dwarf and not the one that ranchers call the "true dwarf" which is often times lethal and or sickly.

The lady from chins.com told me that minies are not dwarves and that they are not recessives, they only come up overtime by breeding smaller chins to smaller chins, I am thinking know that it's very hard to know when you get a smaller chin compared to others if they are dwarves or minies, which makes it difficult to breed for this kind of trait, in my case, I don't have the experience to breed for such a complicated mutation, but my Timmy is just a small chin I guess,

I don't understand why someone would intentionally breed small animals if it is not recessesive breeding mini's puts females at risk

That's what I thought so too, in how could you breed smaller females in order to get smaller chins, if they could have complications at birth, my Timmy was born small for sort of coincidence or something, both of his parents are normal sized chins

I, personally do not agree with breeding animals for dwarfism. I know with both humans, and animals in general it often carries quite a bit of health problems. Sure, they are cute. However so are those teacup pot belly pigs, and teacup yorkies.... Yet they are filled with health problems.

Does it not go against the what we, as breeders preach? "Breed only the best, and those that will do well at show". You put a dwarf up on the show table...Something tells me it won't be doing so well. Maybe a carrier will, but a dwarf isn't.

That's what I thought so too, in how could you breed smaller females in order to get smaller chins,

You don't, it's a recessive just like in humans. You never breed dwarf or small females, you only breed carrier females to dwarf males or carrier males.

The ones we've had have been random.

You don't, it's a recessive just like in humans. You never breed dwarf or small females, you only breed carrier females to dwarf males or carrier males.

The ones we've had have been random.

Hi

No, I meant that is what they told me for breeding minies, not dwarves, which they told me that minies are just smaller chins, no dwarf features, there is a mini pink white male in chinchillas.com in the sales gallery,

Last edited:
Patty looks to have dwarf like features, Linus, to me, just looks small.

There are many types of dwarfism and I wouldn't call any of them the "true" dwarfism. I also wouldn't call it unethical to breed for dwarves. Especially if you are breeding for the viable dwarf and not the one that ranchers call the "true dwarf" which is often times lethal and or sickly.

Thanks, Tabitha. That is pretty much what I thought. I just wasn't too sure since I have never had a kit like Patty before.

Back