Dwarf Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the dwarf, somewhere between 300-500g for the dense guys. I've had normal chins weigh less than a big dwarf. What sets them apart is the stubby legs, tail and sometimes body.

Edited about the carrier - you don't. You just happen to breed two carriers and have one show up in a litter.

Also, not all dwarfism is the same in chins.

Thank you for the info Spoof,

I certainly have very small chins (pets) but they are not dwarfs.

Hoping to bring some up here some day.

Cute!

I have been working on dwarfs for all most to years now. They very slow breeders for obvious reasons.
Here are some of my dwarfs.
Munch~ mosaic he is about three months here. 281g
kits084-1.gif

Teddy~ beige and is two years, he is my biggest dwarf.531g
dogschins038.jpg

Boo~black velvet and has big tude! 291g
dogschins031.jpg
Gosh they are too cute! That mini dust bath is almost as adorable as the chins! lol!

Here you see the diffenrence between a dwarf & normle kit.
This little guy is only a day old. Sorry the pic came out a little blurry, but do see how small & fat his little feet look and his stubby tail.
dwarfbaby025.jpg

dwarfbaby033.jpg

His sister, angin the seconed pic came out blurry. But you can see the how much longer & thiner her feet & tail are.
dwarfbaby014.jpg

dwarfbaby015.jpg

Another dwarf, you can see how small & fat his little feet are. See how his head looks.
chinpics087.jpg

A side view
chinpics086.jpg

A front view
chinpics085.jpg

Look at those tiny munchkin feet! I would just love to feel those against my hand or running on me. Do they have any special medical needs besides regular chinchillas, and are they more prone to certain genetic disorders because of their size and certain mutation?

Hi

I believe I have a dwarf chin too, he is a light ebony male and he is smaller than another chin I have that was born on about the same day, I will be trying to breed some dwarves in the future, but I have to wait for him to grow older to find out that he is a dwarf for sure.

I have pictures of him on my website, his name is timmy, www.diamondchinchillas.webs.com

I am new to this forum, so I don't know how to insert pictures yet.

I checked Timmys picture but couldn't really tell anything by the picture. You need to show us his whole body - like a side shot with his tail showing and the front legs.

Cute anyway!

Ronda

Actually dwarves are not rare, people just want others to think that. They come out of all different herds. I have five of them here, they are my house chins. People who actually breed for them are rare, dwarfism in any animal, including humans, greatly increases the risks for complications on things from immunity, organ placement, and especially orthopedics.

They have a distinct "hobble" like movement, pronounce foreheads, often short curly tails, and their ears often seem very large for them. They have very blocky compact bodies. My first dwarf girls Smidgen tops out at 350 grams, the others vary from 400 down. There is a difference between dwarves and small chins, they are not the same thing.

People have posted them up for sale for $100 and have had troubles selling them. I bought my first one for $50, 'midge and out of the five here I only paid for one other one who I paid $75 for.

Here are photos of two of mine:

Smidgen - compact stocky bodies.
smidgen-1.jpg

Becka - you can especially see the pronounced forehead in this photo.
becka2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a dwarf here too. Trooper. she is very prone to eye issues I am not sure if that is common or not. I have had a few born here but troop was the only female. She stayed as I could not risk anyone breeding her. Like Riven said they are not that uncommon just most breeder break up the pairings very few try to get them on purpose.

1115091924.jpg

Okay so this is Pee Wee at 7 weeks, he bairly toped the scales at 80 grams, he is now almost a year old and only weighs 350 on a good day. Is he a dwarf?

0308001436.jpg

Pee Wee currently.

Looks like he has normal sized feet, dwarfs have stunted legs/heads and tails. When you pick one up it is really obvious, he just looks like a small guy. I love his curly baby coat though!

Here is the picture of Timmy, I've heard that chins that are small but don't have the dwarf features are called minies, Timmy is very small, he is about a year now and he weights about 380 grams, he doesn't look exactly like a dwarf to me, but he's always been small, what do you guys think?

Sorry, so long ago I posted about him, but couldn't upload the picture, I can take another one of him later, he lives at my parent's place with the rest of my sisters

SDC11310.JPG

I also have a video of him on my site
http://diamondchinchillas.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/7497214-timmy-eating-a-raisin

Last edited:
i would like to know what you guys think of these two. They are a set of twins, one male and one female. They really look different from the rest of my babies and weigh the same as a litter that is 4 weeks younger than them. They had normal weights at birth.

Attachments

• pattyandlinus4weeksweb.JPG
    pattyandlinus4weeksweb.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Patty4weeksweb.jpg
    Patty4weeksweb.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Linus4weeksweb.JPG
    Linus4weeksweb.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 47
Back