Cage Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, i know i posted it in another thread lately, but for those looking in this thread for cage ideas, etc, here is the revamped Rhino and Guss abode :))

Image0904.jpg

Wow I really like your cage.. I dont know if this person will respond since they post it in 2009.. Does anyone know where you can buy a cage like that??

Here's our set up (old pic though, I've since had to remove Spooky's mailbox house cause she chewed it up :()

cages.png

Here's a more recent one with our fancy floor (for easy clean up)
Tile1.png

Chimmyheart, I believe those are cages from Quality Cages like the person above linked you too :))

Does anyone know the inside dimensions of a Ferret Nation 182? I'm trying to make shelves for mine but I haven't got my cage in the mail yet.

Hawaiian Hotel

Aloha,
After browsing these forums for around a year and getting loads of great tips and ideas, I thought it was time to share what I have learned and built from what I've learned. After adopting two more boys (Stitch and Peanut), we had to expand and after a quarantine period, I began building the Hawaiian Hotel. Using ideas from users that had made cages out of wire shelving and melamine, and a little embellishments myself, the Full product emerged. Hawaiian print fleece liner, hand sewn fleece hammocks, kiln dried pine shelves, hay pots (picture doesn't show yet), and much more not visible in these pictures. Pikachu also has a volcanic river stone to perch on, cuddly fleece buddy, and a no drip water bottle (surprised I don't see more of these they are great and the chins love them). Most of these ideas a from users on here, and I would just like to thank everyone for all your great advice and experience.
The boys a much happier and healthier on their new hotel, and love to enjoy the Hawaiian breeze off the ko'olau mountains in the afternoons (while we drink mai tais)
Mahalo,
Sean

Attachments

• cage_btm.jpg
    cage_btm.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Cage_full.jpg
    Cage_full.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 120
  • cage_top.jpg
    cage_top.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 95
Sean, your cage looks great, with the exception of the green plastic tunnel, which should be removed, and the lack of hay. That little hanging hay ball can't possibly hold enough hay for three chins. Just get a flower pot and fill it up daily.
:)

looks good
only problem i have is the hanging wire ball (chinnie legs can get caught in it).
and the long green tube.. i believe that is plastic, which isn't good for chins.

Looks great! Love the fleece!

I agree on what other people have said, I would be careful about the green tube. If it were me, I would take it out. And one little hay ball can't hold enough for your hungry chinnies. :)

I need to post an updated picture. They are separated by floors for now with top having a 3" terra cotta pot and the bottom having a 5" pot. I agree hay ball was small and dangerous, got rid out it.
My reasoning for the tube is mostly part of a armistice between the older boy and me. He had it for playtime after a friend tested the plastic for me for toxins (University labs). When moving to a new cage he refused to leave his new play tunnel and when I finally got him back into his cage, he refused to sleep in wood or ceramic home for days, until I finally figured out he wanted to sleep in the tunnel (must be the ridges). He hasn't laid a tooth on it yet so I've just left it.

Toxins in the plastic would be the least of your concern. If he swallows a tiny piece it can form an obstruction in his gut, making it difficult if not impossible for food to pass through.
It's a "better safe than sorry" issue. Just like you wouldn't put a penny in your baby's crib and say "well, he hasn't touched it yet, so I'm ok". :-/

People on these forums sell tubes for your chin, that aren't plasic. PVC, wood, metal, and cardboard are a few I've seen. Mines cardboard in a fleece cover, but I want to change to PVC soon.

Mistywaterwomen is right, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It would be a whole lot safer then what he's using, and PVC is just a option.

Actually PVC is very toxic for humans or chinchillas if ingested in quantity. This tube is a pure plastic and very low toxicity level. It is also soft enough to be chewed by the chinchillas rear molars, they have used them for lab animals for years and PVC is actually one of those we leave out. Never once has a necropsy revealed plastic obstruction from these type tubes. But in the end anything that can produce chips and is petroleum based is looked down upon and I am trying to remove from cage.

But either way, the big boy will be using it as his hale until I can find an alternative he will actually use without fit. Im looking for terra cotta pipe, but it isn't very common in Hawaii. If anyone knows a place that might ship to Honolulu within reasonable price?

Lu <3

While I was working tonight she was begging me to play, lol.... she was being very impatient, so i did give in. But not before I got some pictures out of it :) I'll get some better ones, but for now...

Attachments

• stalker.jpg
    stalker.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 104
  • pet me.jpg
    pet me.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 94
  • sulking.jpg
    sulking.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
What a chubbs!!! :hearts:

I had a cage almost like that one for years, it is a GREAT cage for a single chin. Tami was very happy in it.
Yours looks fabulous!

Back