Cage Just Arrived

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the wood isn't dry all the way, it can mold if kept where air can't get to it. all of my wood and toy supplies are perfectly dry, but i store them loose in the desk drawer just in case. i would cry if i got mold on any of my apple wood!

Ah, I see. I figured it would be something along the lines of why we store hay in open spaces as well. The jars I have mine in are airtight, but I always leave them open next to Chloe's cage so I can give her sticks whenever I feel like it.

Rebecca--Oliver is going to be so happy with that cage and his chin spin (I think it came with it)!

Thanks everyone :)
I hope my chin loves everything. And there's more on the way!!
I'm picking him up in two weeks. I can't wait!

I just started putting the cage together...
I got to the part where the cage is all folded out and standing up.
The next part of the instructions says to "use the plastic ties to attach the cage bottom to the cage side panels. Be sure to use two (2) ties at the front and back corners. Clip off excess plastic from the ties. Space the ties every four inches."

Well, I'm not exactly sure what this means and what I am supposed to do OR where to get the plastic ties from.
And is this step necessary?

Thanks.

They're the skinny black cable ties that came with the cage.

Once you unfold the cage and form it into the correct shape, you need to cable tie the bottom of the cage to the side walls of the cage so it holds together and continues to stand up. Does that make sense? Unfortunately I have three chins in my cage now and can't take it off the base to show you. LOL

You should have received a paper bag of plastic zip ties with your cage. Is there anyone at home who could help you out with this project?

All I got in a paper bag were the wheels...I hope I didn't loose them.
My dad has been helping me, but he left to go to a meeting.

My guess would be hanging things, but I am not sure. Do you have an instruction book? It should mention them in there.

I put it together! I just have to wait until my order arrives to put in accessories and such.

Here are some pictures:

DSCN0915.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0920.jpg

Are the shelves too high up? I'm worried that my chin won't be able to jump up to the first shelf...

The chin I am getting will be practically 3 months - I am picking him up on the 23rd and he was born June 25th, 2011.

:)

The shelves should be fine. You can always remove the highest one and put it back when your chin gets a bit older too.

Looks great! You might want to buy a back up metal food dish just in case Oliver starts to chew up the plastic one. They're cheap and it would come in handy anyways. And obviously if he starts eating the fleece you should take it out, but most chins seem to not have a problem with fleece.

If Oliver starts destroying the wooden house and the sides won't stay, you can glue them together with elmer's (they have a wood glue as well) non-toxic glue; it is currently holding that house I have in my chin's cage together. Beats having to buy a new house!

The cage is nice, can't wait to see pics of Oliver in it!

I bought a metal coop cup thinkint it would be easier & my chin LOVES to dump it. I solved this problem by buying a ceramic bowl from a pet store, she no longer dumps it. Just my experience but many others here have great success with coop cups. Congrats on your new arrival!

Latest posts

Back