Birkenstock Sandals?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
Anyone wear these?

I have heard great things about them but I've never previously consider them because of their price...and some are not the prettiest. However, I have developed "bad" feet and don't want to spend the summer limping.

I've heard there is a breaking in periods of a couple of weeks and then they mold to your feet. Is this true?

The soft cork bed or the regular?
Thanks for any info.

I had them back in, oh, 1995 :thumbsup: Today though, I'd recommend any sandals by Dansko. They are great on problem feet (like my own). Just keep in mind that each pair fits a little differently so you might have to try on many pairs to find the best ones for you. They are totally worth the money though.

I had them back in, oh, 1995 :thumbsup: Today though, I'd recommend any sandals by Dansko. They are great on problem feet (like my own). Just keep in mind that each pair fits a little differently so you might have to try on many pairs to find the best ones for you. They are totally worth the money though.

I didn't know Dansko made sandals. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Brenda, I wear Birkenstocks all of the time! I get plantar fac****is (sp?) and it is the only shoe that helps that. The first few days there is a breaking in period but after that I wear them constantly!

I have a pair of Birkenstock clogs, I love them. I am hard on shoes and if they are not a good quality they will tear up in about a month. I have had them about two years and look about the same as when I bought them. But they are sort of made to fit feet, because it has the arch on the inside and a little raised place right before you get to your toes.

I had a pair - the Milano style with the cork footbed. They were comfortable enough that when the soles wore out, I brought them in to be re-soled. Then wore through those, had them re-soled again. Wore through those and, finally, tossed them out after having them for about 8 years. I had let the wear pattern go too far into footbed itself :( And, yeah, they did form to my feet. You could see where each toe went... and not just after 8 years. Another plus is they didn't bother my long-standing plantar fasciitis issues.

They do take some getting used to... or perhaps I just have rather tender feet. I got blisters along the sides of my feet toward the heel... about 2/3's of the way back when I pulled them out of my closet each spring. But that went away after awhile.

Brenda, I wear Birkenstocks all of the time! I get plantar fac****is (sp?) and it is the only shoe that helps that. The first few days there is a breaking in period but after that I wear them constantly!

That's what I have! I "cured" one foot for the time being and now the other one has it.

SM and Bell, I am very ROUGH on shoes also. I like the idea of getting them recorked so they last a while.

I used to wear birkenstocks 24/7, winter or summer. I absolutely loved them and never had an issue with them. My only issue is that they eventually wore out! I really want to get another pair but have a hard time justifying to my husband why they are so expensive. I keep looking to catch them on sale. I find them extremely comfortable and wear them without socks in the summer, and with wool socks in the winter.

I guess I'm going about the only one that does NOT like Birkenstocks. I got a pair about 5 years ago and try to wear them every so often but they absolutely kill my feet. I've even forced myself to wear them for a couple of weeks at a time and at the end of those day I am so happy to get them off my feet. I was told once they broke in I'd love them. I'm still waiting. They were fitted by a Birkenstock dealer so it's not like they are the wrong size.

I've been wearing them constantly for about 10 years. Sinse it's so warm here I get to wear them all year, too. My first pair were stolen after a year from school, my second pair were eaten by my mothers dog. My third pair are 5 years old, and the sole had to be reglued. If you have a Birkenstock store near you, go there. They're better to try on. And they can fix and stuff there. My store didn't charge me to reglue them, only when I need the entire bottom replaced and that's just for "parts" that I'll be charged. I wear that pair mostly for T-ball (son's) and rainy weather. I got this pair http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/P....Papillio/style.Sydney/id.270420091112-329687 in the black textured with rhinestones. They are so nice. They're my every day shoe. I don't find they take any time to wear in, but then, I'm used to them. They last forever. If you want nice looking ones look at the Papillio line. I couldn't find them on Birkenstock.com, but they are Birkenstocks, the designs on them are just much nicer and fancier looking.

Thank you all for the information and the website links. It is so hard to know what online websites are legitimate.

Nancy, I've experienced that before. I was on a site for PF and everyone sweared by the crocs shoes. I bought a pair and hated them. Fingers crossed for Birks.

I did a search on Birkenstock's website, seeing you're from Ct, and there are 8 retailers in Ct I think. You may want to check there and see if anything is local before you buy online. They aren't the easiest to fit, I would never order them without trying that shoe in person first. Shipping back can get expensive.

I did a search on Birkenstock's website, seeing you're from Ct, and there are 8 retailers in Ct I think. You may want to check there and see if anything is local before you buy online. They aren't the easiest to fit, I would never order them without trying that shoe in person first. Shipping back can get expensive.

Thanks! I'll check out the list. I was considering Zappos because they do free shipping on returns

Ah, didn't know that. I just remember I bought a few pairs over the years, and the only one I ordered I got in the same size as all the others, and for some reason they didn't fit. Was just bad luck I guess. lol
Thanks! I'll check out the list. I was considering Zappos because they do free shipping on returns

I've never even put a "croc" on my foot, other than the fact they offer no support, I think they're ugly as sin. I never wore Birkenstocks either because I just can't justify spending that much for a shoe. If you have the money and want to spend it good. But I think that a good supportive shoe is going to be your best bet. Sandals just don't really offer support. K-Swiss has some styles I like, I'm not a Nike fan, or well most shoes I guess I'm odd like that.

Good luck, and maybe you should ask you podiatrist their opinion, or orthopedic, depending on what kind of issues you have.

My mom wears the Danskos and pretty much nothing else. She does have one pair that is like a sandal. I personally don't really care for the look of them, but I know they help her feet.

I've never even put a "croc" on my foot, other than the fact they offer no support, I think they're ugly as sin. I never wore Birkenstocks either because I just can't justify spending that much for a shoe. If you have the money and want to spend it good. But I think that a good supportive shoe is going to be your best bet. Sandals just don't really offer support. K-Swiss has some styles I like, I'm not a Nike fan, or well most shoes I guess I'm odd like that.

Good luck, and maybe you should ask you podiatrist their opinion, or orthopedic, depending on what kind of issues you have.

As a matter of fact I have been to both pods and orthos. The ortho was "the best in conn" and gave me little advice on shoes and the Pod just recommended New Balance sneakers which I have. The reason why I want sandals is...have you ever wore sneakers in 90 degree heat with high humidity? That is what we have during the summer here and I can't stand it. I also have $500 orthotic inserts that fit into my sneakers. I have found relief with one foot but the other is acting up now. I'm not rich by any means but I have extremely painful feet at times. When you are in pain on a daily basis for two years, you WILL spend your money trust me. I hope you never have to experience it.

Last edited:
Back