Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laugh every time is see males listed as bucks! And people just don't bother to learn colors and it annoys me to no end. Its not hard to learn a standard frm a beige.

No kidding! We get in beiges that people refer to as standards all the time. Just yesterday we got in a beige and standard pair, and the lady pointed to the beige and was like "this grey one..." and so I asked her, ok, what color is the other one? "black." Well, ok. My point is not to argue with the people, but I know when I first got my chins, I looked up the colors and wanted to know what I had and what else was out there... but some people could care less.. they call it whatever they feel like.

My kid loves our chins but she won't even feed them out of fear of being bit. Chinnies are not good with kids but I have seen a few exceptions where a chin will love a kid. My neice had a chin that would sit in a little metal bucket and let her carry him around the house. He was awesome!
I see good with KIDS alot on CL tho. Makes me sad because I have seen the damage kids can do to chins.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I am quite young and I have a six year old brother and my chins LOVE him...they get all excited when they see him.

I got my female from a CL post. They were giving her away for free including the cage. I don't think they miss-treated her, they just didn't know how to care for her. She was living in a separate bedroom by herself that had an AC unit in it for her. They had all the usual "new owners" feed and ball of death. The girlfriend told me that they got her "because she was cute and fluffy" but then realized they couldn't care for her. The one thing that infuriated me though was that they JUST got a puppy for the same exact reasons "cute and fluffy".... but hey I got an amazing beautiful chin out of it!

I'm glad the previous owner of our boys posted her ad on craigslist. Hubby and I had made the decision to add chinchillas to our home and I looked on CL for cages. I saw her ad for 2 babies and we went and picked up the cage from a different person and then headed over to her place.

She had rescued a pair of chins and the female gave birth so she wanted to find the boys a good home. She and I are now friends on FB and email/text regularly. I give her updates and pictures of the boys and she couldn't be happier that she found such a good home for the little guys.

But I agree with the other posters here - 90% of the pet ads on CL are bull****.

I took in a chin the other day that was listed on Craig's List. They needed him gone ASAP (I don't remember the reason right now). When they dropped him off, they mentioned in a kind of "oh by the way" manner that he has an issue with one of his back feet. He was already settled into his cage so I waited a little while before checking it out. The poor little guy has no foot on one back leg. It ends at the last large joint and there is a flap of what I think is skin hanging off the end of it. By the looks of things, I would guess that he had injured his foot, was not treated and chewed the foot off because of the pain. This just tears me up that someone could just ignore his pain and let him suffer. I will be taking the little guy (I named him Miles) to the vet to have the leg checked and find out what the vet recommends. Any way, it i s not just the buyers on Craig's List that can be problems, it can also be the people who are dumping their poor animal because they just don't want to deal with it anymore.

I hate craigslist
Or should I say I hate some of the people. :banghead:

and, here's the picture incase the adv is removed or flagged...
2uojcl4.jpg

I did text the woman. She wants $150 for everything (I don't need or want the cage, lol). $100 for just the chinchilla. And she came out and said she can not take care of him...

...Maybe she should quit thinking of the dollar signs and look into the interest of the animal! UGH. PEOPLE.

I want to throw a spin on this topic and talk about the prices that some people try to sell used cages for...Time and time again I see people on Craigslist say they paid like $300 for a Ferret Nation and then try to get $150 - $200 for a used one...This kills me because you can get a BRAND SPANKING NEW one right now from ferret.com for $160...By the time you drive to go get it and clean it you would have been better off buying new.

I just went and bought one today...here is how this one went (it wasn't bad at all but I want to share what I did...) The guy listed the cage for sale and he said make an offer. So I offered him a hundred bucks and I also made sure to email him the link to ferret.com to show him I could get it brand new for $160. He accepted my offer and I went and bought it...

I don't think he would have if I wouldn't have showed him the link because many times people will pay full retail for these things at Petsmart and not realize that there are cheaper places out there...buuuut I get soooo incredibly burned up when I see people trying to sell used items for close to retail....it's like why bother...

I want to throw a spin on this topic and talk about the prices that some people try to sell used cages for...Time and time again I see people on Craigslist say they paid like $300 for a Ferret Nation and then try to get $150 - $200 for a used one...This kills me because you can get a BRAND SPANKING NEW one right now from ferret.com for $160...By the time you drive to go get it and clean it you would have been better off buying new.

I just went and bought one today...here is how this one went (it wasn't bad at all but I want to share what I did...) The guy listed the cage for sale and he said make an offer. So I offered him a hundred bucks and I also made sure to email him the link to ferret.com to show him I could get it brand new for $160. He accepted my offer and I went and bought it...

I don't think he would have if I wouldn't have showed him the link because many times people will pay full retail for these things at Petsmart and not realize that there are cheaper places out there...buuuut I get soooo incredibly burned up when I see people trying to sell used items for close to retail....it's like why bother...

Too true, or trying to sell the chins (that are either sick or older at this point) and the dirty cages for 300-500$. Animals probably half abused into wildness. @_@ bah.

On the cage note, I have found some great deals at random garage sales. Picked up a ferret cage (brand unknown) for 10$. It needed a lot of scrubbing and all the shelves got tossed. But now I have a second spare cage waiting for me to get ambitious enough to build some wood shelves. =)

I just got my new baby off craigslist. He wasn't exactly mistreated but they clearly didn't know about chins. (No hidey house, smallish cage, lots of plastic, dust bath in the cage) However he's been handled a lot, mostly by a young boy who was clearly gentle with him because he's pretty trusting. My concern is the amount of plastic he's eaten. But he poops so I guess he's not blocked up! Still, if you are going to get a pet, at the very very least research the basics. Buy a chinchilla book from Petsmart if you are too lazy to do research, something is better than going in blind. At least he had a dust bath!

My two girls are from Craigslist...they were in a cage that would barely fit one, and had wide spaced wire bottom with nothing for their feet, and they gave me this crock that twisted to. The cage, they chews the plastic completely until only a small round surface was their food bowl!

I am currently fostering 5 Craigslist chins! I just couldn't pass up these poor babies and leave them with the idiots who previously owned them, or risk them ending up somewhere even worse. Fortunately I did not pay much to get them away from their tormentors, and in one case the lady gave a pair of girls to me along with the cage, for free, because I threatened to turn her in for animal abuse! Of course as soon as I got them away from her and their terrible living conditions, I turned her in anyhow. It makes me sick to see people neglecting chins and then selling them like an old sofa. I have been rehabbing all 5, and plan to find them WORTHY forever homes once I feel they are ready, if ever.
I also have two girls that I plan to keep, who came from Craigslist, but they were with a very nice woman who treated them wonderfully. Good people are out there, it just seems such a rarity these days!

I normally don't get too up in arms about this stuff cause I realized a loooong time ago that you can't control people but this one REALLY kinda got to me and I needed to vent a little... 2 month old female in with a 5 month old male and they want an outrageous price to boot...let alone the cage they are in, the fact they are petstore chins...etc., etc.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pet/4034732543.html

I doubt it. And at least one of them fur chews. So another person looking to breed with crap chins and expecting to get their money out of it. I have to laugh at all the 300-500 chins in my area. Just cause you bought a plastic cage new from the store for 200 and paid 200 for the chin since you couldn't have a grey (and obviously waaaaaay over paid for a beige).... no one is gonna pay that much for used stuff. Lol

I'm on a buy and sell for my area and this girl posted she had 6 chins. She said they didn't have time for them anymore and aren't getting any attention.
So i asked her about them (she said the 2 younger 10 months and 2 months someone was interested in) and she finally sent me pictures (she didn't really want to at first) but then this is what she sent me. :vomit: :cry3: *backhand* yes i said backhand. LOL.

She also wanted $400 for them with their cages (HAMSTER cages!) *some* hay and *some* food until i get my own and shavings (if needed). Wonder what she is gonna do with the rest of the food, hay and shavings?
I offered her $100 to take them in and take care of them until i can find them better homes, but i think she is very set on her $$$. :cry3: Poor little guys, No mention of dust i'm assuming they don't give them dust baths as they look quite bad in the pics, not to mention the cages are horrible and shavings dirty looking...
I asked her how much for just chins (as i still have my cages from a few years ago when i did breed chins) but she wants $65 per chin. :hair:

At first she said she didn't want them to go to the same home so she said no to me, then after i said i had multiple cages she ignored it then about a week later when she no doubt got no responses (no one in my area really knows what chins are and there are a lot of mennonites around here and would never pay for anything other then farm animals for food) and said she would let them go to me for $400!

Hopefully she takes me up on my offer when she realizes she has no time for them and would like them to go somewhere where they will be taken care of properly!

Attachments

• chin.jpg
    chin.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 65
  • chin1.jpg
    chin1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 63
  • chin2.jpg
    chin2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 62
  • chin3.jpg
    chin3.jpg