Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two of my chins off CL and they where very well taken care of. The gal just didn't have time for them anymore. She was having some major life changes. She told me once I sent her pictures of my the chinnies I already had that she knew I was the right person for them. :) Made me feel good! Her and I keep in contact and I send her pictures which she just loves and share some stories of how sassy they are with me. :) It's too bad not all these CL chins don't have good chinparents. :/
This question might not be right to ask here but I am curious? How would I go about starting a chin rescue in my local area?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/pet/3238099358.html

This CL is always up but different chins.

CHINCHILLA!! $75 (Gb)

Date: 2012-08-04,11:55PM CDT Reply to this post [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a chinchilla i no longer give time to he needs a family and he comes with everything but the food and cage! He is soo cute i wish i cood keep him but like i said he just sits there! He is grey and is 10months old so he still has a long life ahead of him he lovess his dust baths!! And is looking for a forever home!

Yet another add in my area. He doesn't come with food? Who is gonna eat it?...LOL Shouldn't laugh! Is he eating food?

Same chin Smokey.

Smokey is a sweet chinchilla he is 10 months old he is grey and will come with some bedding food dish watter bottle and igloo! Im selling him due to he dont get enough attention from me. So im trying to find the perfect home for him im asking $75 i paid wayy more for him and all his stuff so its a bargain u also get his chinchilla dust! Thanks for looking!

And smokey again!

im selling my chinchilla due to not giving him enough time that he needs. he is about 10 months in age. he will come with a litter boxfood dish water bottle and any left over things. he will NOT come with a cage. he is friendly. he is also fast and would like someone to give him a nice sized cage to run in. he loves to go in wheels and run! he also likes to chew when he is bored so he always needs something to chew on. his favorite snack is none frosted cherios he gets 5 a week! if you are interested please email me with the subject being smokey. thank you for looking!

milwaukee craigslist > community > pets

Looking for a free bunny or chinchilla with cage (milw)

Date: 2012-08-24,2:55PM CDT Reply to this post [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Looking for either a bunny or chinchilla with cage that someone uis willing to give to a good family for free. Looking to give it to my two daughters for their birthday this coming month. If you doo,please email me back. And just to let you know,we treat our pets as family so you would never have to worry about the pet going to another family. Once they are with us,its forever. And yes,we do have one pet,its a turtle. LoL. They just would like something to pet and take care of thats fluffy. :). Thank you for yoour time.

Location: milw it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Here is an interesting one.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/3207916611.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/3226998720.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/3168828309.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/3228929652.html

This looks like a BYB..maybe!

I find this one interesting.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/3255426418.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a teenager claiming to be a chinchilla rescue who wants to trade a chinchilla for a tortoise for a gift for another child. http://corvallis.craigslist.org/bar/3195857115.html

Do you have a tortoise? Are you looking for a more fluffy animal? I would love to trade one of my chinchillas (To a caring home) for a tortoise for my nephew. His birthday is coming up and he has been asking for one for over a year. He has become older and much more responsible. I would love to make a deal. I am not looking for an auquatic turtle. Thank you!! :) **I am also rehoming all 4 of my chinchillas if you are interested.
She's actually a member here. I have the email from her still. Very sad.

I was debating if I should put this in the death ball thread but...
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/wan/3244599517.html
And in case it goes down:
I have 2 Chinchillas for sale, They are very friendly used to being handled. They are sisters and must be sold together. Comes with cage, 2 exercise balls, 1 exercise wheel, Marble cooling block, food, treats, igloo, hay and dust bath with dust bath house. $350 O.B.O Please contact *snip* for more information. (Chinchilla's cost $150 each at petsmart)
I'm only going to put this once... :facepalm:
There's so much plastic... and I've heard it a million times... they really don't need the ramps. Don't even get me started on the death balls or the wheel that's, in my best guess, plastic/too small.

She is known here, started a "non-profit" rescue, she is not non profit and its illegal to state you are. She had chins for like a month.

Oh, look! Now she's "reduced prices" on her "rescue" chinchilla.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pet/3259388017.html

LOWERED PRICES:)
Albany, OR: I am re-homing 4 chinchillas. 1 male, 3 females. All very friendly and handled daily. they are all standard grey and are around 4 years old. They have all been vet-checked and are very healthy.
Asking:
-$40 1 without cage (Multiply by number of chins you want :)
-$65 for 1 with cage.
-$100 for 2 with cage or cages depending on sex.
-$150 for all 3 females and VERY large cage.
-And $225 for All 4 chins, 1 very large cage, 1 smaller cage (for the male), food, hay, chews, water bottles, bedding, basically all supplies.
Pic is of the boy. More pics available.

This crap makes me so freakin' mad.

I agree....

I adopted Lilly from a Craigslist ad but, I consider her a rescue. If I hadn't stumbled upon her listing, by accident since it was in the wrong category, I think Lilly might be dead by now. When I picked her up, she was living in a filthy rabbit hutch, using the wire mesh wheel, using a half chewed plastic igloo house, no hay, eating banana chips like there was no tomorrow, no bowl and her fur was disgusting!

After reading a lot, asking you folks a few questions and watching my girl to see what she likes, she is healthy, happy and gorgeous again! Wooden house, silver surfer, fleece liners, hay in a wooden manger, chew toys, little things that my husband and I have made for her, a chinchiller and tile when she wants them, i made her a hammock to match her fleece liners (both colors) and her own Critter Nation. Tomorrow I'm starting on her tunnel. The only thing she has that she brought with her......her glass water bottle with the little yellow duckie floating in it. They had that right.

Sometimes, if you are willing to look, you can find the deal of a lifetime on CL. Lilly is the best $50 I've ever spent! I hate to think what my life would be like today if I hadn't read her ad and responded.

But, in all honesty people that list their chins on CL aren't usually breeders or even well informed on our little fluffs. I had to explain to one gentleman what a quarantine is and why we do it when we introduce a chin. I was calling to adopt his chin, too. Scary. But, that's why people like us read Craigslist, right? There's always a Lilly on there, who was destined to change my life as much as I was to save hers.

-Stacy

This question might not be right to ask here but I am curious? How would I go about starting a chin rescue in my local area?

You can take in chins if you want to but without the 501c status you are not a non-profit and have to be honest and not mis-lead anyone. Its a long expensive process so some rescues choose not to but many do.

I would caution you against buying chins from Craigslist. Many do not see that as rescue work. And it doesn't usually fix the problem. It's ultimately up to you and what your heart tells you. Some posters are willing to give them up to a more stable/knowledgeable person if you contact them.

You can sign up for a petfinder listing account if you can get a letter from your vet stating they treat your rescue animals. It takes establishing a good relationship with them of course.

And you can set up a website stating what you do as a knowledgable person taking in animals in need. And notify local shelters that you take chinchillas.

You could also foster for an established rescue.

You are right....normally buying a pet from CL wouldn't be considered a rescue. I only meant that in my particular situation, it worked out to be the case.

Are you saying that you can foster/rescue without 501c status? I am just wondering how the whole thing would work with donations and whatnot. I am in love with Lilly and I want to help where I can, as much as I can.

I probably have flames and smoke coming out of my ears when I peruse Craigslist, though. When you can see a chinchilla eating lettuce, next to a plastic igloo, in a plastic cage, sitting in wood shavings with her babies, I get so worked up. These are the situations I refer to as "rescues"; saving the chins from uninformed owners, not exactly abuse, just a lack of understanding.

I spend a lot of time researching every aspect of a product, plan or idea before I even let it near my fluff ball. It just upsets me, as I'm sure it would anyone on this forum, when people assume you treat a chin the same way you treated the guinea pig you had in junior high. I love guinea pigs. They are wonderful creatures, but nothing like a chinchilla. The chinnies deserve better than that. They've been treated so badly throughout their history with humans, they deserve to be spoiled now. I'm starting with Lilly Belle. I'll help and baby as many as my husband will allow. ;)

Not to beat a dead horse (I like horses) but, I was able to upload the pictures of Lilly from the day that I got her. I think that you can see she was not well cared for by the looks of her. That is why I consider her "rescued". But, she would probably say the same thing about me.

I would caution you against buying chins from Craigslist. Many do not see that as rescue work. And it doesn't usually fix the problem. .
I personally do not consider buying a animal from craigslist a rescue. I have purchased 3 animals from craigslist tho. All where as healthy as can be. :) I am actually going to donate time at our local shelter with the small animals. I will foster the animals if I'm asked.

You are right....normally buying a pet from CL wouldn't be considered a rescue)

Srlampron

Ecantadora was making the comment about cl rescues to answer to my question about starting a chinchilla rescue. I don't think she meant to imply your specific situation was not a rescue. It's awesome you could make your chinchillas life better for her. :)

I adopted Lilly from a Craigslist ad but, I consider her a rescue. If I hadn't stumbled upon her listing, by accident since it was in the wrong category, I think Lilly might be dead by now. When I picked her up, she was living in a filthy rabbit hutch, using the wire mesh wheel, using a half chewed plastic igloo house, no hay, eating banana chips like there was no tomorrow, no bowl and her fur was disgusting!

After reading a lot, asking you folks a few questions and watching my girl to see what she likes, she is healthy, happy and gorgeous again! Wooden house, silver surfer, fleece liners, hay in a wooden manger, chew toys, little things that my husband and I have made for her, a chinchiller and tile when she wants them, i made her a hammock to match her fleece liners (both colors) and her own Critter Nation. Tomorrow I'm starting on her tunnel. The only thing she has that she brought with her......her glass water bottle with the little yellow duckie floating in it. They had that right.

Sometimes, if you are willing to look, you can find the deal of a lifetime on CL. Lilly is the best $50 I've ever spent! I hate to think what my life would be like today if I hadn't read her ad and responded.

But, in all honesty people that list their chins on CL aren't usually breeders or even well informed on our little fluffs. I had to explain to one gentleman what a quarantine is and why we do it when we introduce a chin. I was calling to adopt his chin, too. Scary. But, that's why people like us read Craigslist, right? There's always a Lilly on there, who was destined to change my life as much as I was to save hers.

-Stacy

I love people like you who can take an awful situation and turn it into a great story. Seriously, thanks for being who you are. The world really needs more people like you.

I actually just rescued my baby Thor from a crazy lady on craigslist. She had owned him for 3 years and didnt know what a dust bath was,had him in the tinniest cage, and he had no hay. Or a name. I quickly paid the over priced fee and took him home. I had been looking to rescue my first chin(instead of getting a baby) and waited til i found one in real need. I may not be the best chin owner and may have stuff to learn but i know i was better than that lady. And his fur is already looking so much better.

Hands down either you edited it a lot or this person can at least spell and use proper English which is more than I can say from the CL people in my area *sigh*. I will refrain from making to many negative comments about CL people considering I am blessed to own one of the award winning idiot's off craigslist Chinchilla's right now that I am in love with.. I guess I owe at least one of them something right?

Thank you for this rant section. I'm in a grumpy mood this morning and want to get this out for the person that posted tan chinchillas on hoobly that are obviously GREY and the males are not called bucks last I checked.

I laugh every time is see males listed as bucks! And people just don't bother to learn colors and it annoys me to no end. Its not hard to learn a standard frm a beige.

Back