Anyone have a gas stove and a cat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

So my roommate got a 3 month old kitten on CL in July. One of my first concerns I brought up to her was the gas stove and him playing with the dials which turn the gas on and ignite the flames. She seemed to share that concern. I mentioned maybe rigging something up with my left over wood but we were just throwing out ideas.

She moved the cat box from her room (which he stays in most of the time) to the kitchen tonight. I didn't think too much about it until I heard the door open and close. She left for the night, as she does most nights, and I forgot to ask her to do something about the gas stove knobs. I'm also very concerned she isn't concerned about it. I mean, he's a kitten--once he realizes those things move, he's going to want to destroy them and this will most likely result in gas being emitted or a flame which could light him on fire. He's already gotten on the counter and on top of the stove. There are a lot of problems I have with her owning this cat, actually (hasn't gone to the vet, no shots, not neutered, she's home about 3 hours a day when she doesn't sleep here, which is most nights, he was in her room all day with no windows to ventilate the cat box...it makes me angry). I know I have to talk to her, but for now I have a logistical problem.

I started to play with left over wood when I realized I needed to do something, even though I have to study and do homework (ggrrrr). I have let him out once for the night but I was honestly so nervous I had trouble sleeping and checked the dials before bed, when I got up and when I woke up for good. Anyways--I would have to have cut wood and it's 10pm and I'm not doing that to my neighbors in the building. I ended up duct taping the crap out of the dials so they wouldn't move.

Does anyone have a gas stove and know of a good solution to this? We're obviously going to need to remove the duct tape whenever we cook, so it's only a temporary fix. And I'm worried if I make a railing out of wood that the cat would be able to slip it off (if that makes sense).

Oops--roommate came back. Guess she is sleeping here, hehe. Talked to her about vaccines and the vet, she said she can maybe get him in a month. I'm assuming she didn't save up for a vet visit before she got him, but she is saving what she can now to be able to pay for his visit and shots. I have no idea about neutering.

I am still wondering about the gas stove, though. She had not seen him get up on the counter and on top of the stove so she thought he'd be fine but I personally wouldn't want to risk it either way (I have seen him do it, though). She's gone about 10 hours a day, me about 12. If he turned the gas on in the morning--that would not be good to come home to.

Is there a reason why you're so worried about knobs on the stove? We've had two cats in my family and we've always had a gas stove. They've never turned the gas on.

Alli--I just assumed him being a kitten he'd play with them and I don't want to chance waking up to a cat on fire or the cat and Chloe having CO poisoning (me and the roomie would probably not be as bad off, since our beds are lower than where Chloe sleeps in her cage or where the cat could sleep and the alarm is past my room so the gas would enter my room and fill the top of it before it got to the alarm).

Susan--actually, I think they do come off. That would be a lot easier, why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!

In my old apartment we had a gas stove and you had to push them in to turn. Do yours spin freely?

I have a gas stove and also have 2 large dogs and a cat. I mean, my cat knows better than to get on the counter or stove, but have never had a problem with them turning on the stove or anything like that. I had one cat who got on the counters all the time, and I couldn't break her of it (That drives me crazy and I ended up finding her a new home), but never had a problem with her like catching on fire or anything.

I've had kittens grow up with me with a gas stove in the kitchen and they have never looked twice at it. It has never been any kind of an issue. I personally would worry more about cords or poisonous plants, before a gas stove came to mind.

When I lived in Great Lakes, I had a gas stove and a kitten and I never worried about the stove or the knobs. I had to push mine in to get them to work, so it really was not an issue.
They do sell knob covers for stoves, usually in the baby section, so maybe you could look into that if you are really worried. Or like was mentioned, take the knobs off.

I would tell your friend to look into spay and neuter clinics that have a discount program. I know the ASPCA and the Humane Society have them at times and better to get it done now, before he starts to spray. They also have discounted vaccine clinics too. You could also tell her to watch for local Petsmart's and Petco's, every once in a while they have weekend spay and neuter clinics along with vaccine clinics for discounted prices.
What type of litter is she using? My son has a kitten right now that likes to stay in his room while Krystian is at school, and to keep down the odor (along with regular scooping) we use the Fresh Step with activated carbon in it. This helps immensely with the odor! I also put baking soda in it too, as an extra precaution.

I have 3 cats and 3 dogs and a gas stove and have never had a problem. Just don't hang any fun dangling strings to the knobs and you should be fine :)

Although I know many people don't see an issue with it, it just seems like it would be so easy for a cat to mess with the knobs. I mean--if there is something easily accessible that emits a lethal, poisonous gas or flame wouldn't it worry you? I'm not sure how I feel about it--I am aware that many cats don't mess with them but it just seems like a potential disaster waiting to happen, to me. I don't really get why it isn't an issue. I feel like I'm missing something, except I don't think I am. Is it just a thing that cats don't mess with gas stoves but no one can explain why (maybe the gas residue or pilot light smells funny?)? Because I don't really know why they wouldn't reasonably be able to.

Peeperz--For some reason I had it in my head that they didn't need to be pushed in but I went back to look at them today and rediscovered that they do. I must be on auto-pilot every time I cook my dinner. The dials are very flimsy, though, and my roommate and I have both walked past the stove and bumped into it, turning the gas on without being aware of it until we heard the sound when we stopped walking or the other noticed first.

I took the duct tape off and I think taking the knobs off would be the perfect precaution should we take one. With everyone's accounts of the lack of CO poisoning and cats a flame in their lives, I am doubting whether to do anything but my brain is telling me I should.

Stephanie--I think I am going to look up discount vaccine and neutering clinics and give any info I find to my roommate. That's a very good idea and would give me a chance to address the issue while helping her out without me sounding like I'm yelling at her. Thank you for the idea!! I had thought of that before, but I didn't think of finding them for her, because, well--it's not my cat (figured she'd look on her own, maybe she has, I have no idea), but I think it will help a lot and not take too much time. And so far, the kitchen or apartment doesn't smell of cat box yay!! But I will keep your suggestion in mind if it does, as I'm not sure what kind of litter she uses at the moment.

I'd probably end up being paranoid about it, too. That's one of those things that scares me...did I turn the stove and oven off? Just pull the knobs off and put them in the drawer closest to the stove...you'll be okay. :p

Have fun with the new kitty. :D

I've always had cats and most of them have grown up with a gas stove. Not ONE has attempted to touch the knobs. My one cat I have now is extremely curious and wants to be on everything we're on. She watches me turn the knobs when I'm cooking and she still has not once even attempted to bat at the knobs. They just are not that interesting to a cat. The things they play with not only have to move...but they want to be able to grab it. They can't really grab a knob and run off with it, so what's the point?

It's not that "most" cats don't play with knobs...it's that no cats play with the knobs. Knowing cats and how they work, they just don't care about the knobs. I'd be more worried about her crawling under the fridge or oven and getting stuck. I've heard of that happening before.

Caiti: You are very welcome! I know how expensive the first time shots and the neuter/spay surgery can be and since I am by no means a millionaire, this is how I got all of my cats and dogs their shots and neutered/spayed. So I try and let others know about it as well! And a lot of times, the money you do pay will be put to good use helping others and by keeping the program afloat.

I understand the paranoia about the knobs and the gas and the flame. I lived in GL for 3 years and it was only towards the 3rd year that I was able to cook and leave something in the oven and walk into the other room, without worrying about the stove exploding. And when I would take the knobs off to clean them, I would be paranoid that I had put them on right and not upside down or something.
TBH, I was a little worried at first about the kitty and the remote possibility he could turn on the stove when I first got him and so I would try and keep him out of the kitchen. But there was no way I could keep him out when he ate there and the one litter box was in the kitchen's bathroom. So I would take the knobs off at night and then during the day when I was at school. And when I was at home, I would use the baby-proofing knob covers.
Anyway, I always follow your gut and if your gut says you should be worried about it, then you should be. Like Susan said, take the knobs off and stick them in the drawer and you will be fine! And this is also a good way to keep you or your roommate from accidentally turning them on..which I speak from experience on!

Caiti,

I think poeple here are just posting their experiences with their cats. I don't think we are dismissing your concerns. I've just never worried about it, but that's my personal choice. Just like I don't worry about my cats or dogs chewing on electric cords, it's just not something I worry about. (chins and rabbits I do worry about with electric cords) Taking the knobs off your stove is a great idea if it really worries you. That's a very simple ease to your mind. Maybe this little kitty will turn out to not be the trouble make you think he will be. Some kitten are pretty mellow. Good luck!

Our gas stove is a push and turn, but unfortunately, 2 of the 4 cats that live here weigh enough that they can turn on the flame just by stepping on the knobs. (Doesn't help that the stove top is in the island. They know to stay off of freestanding ones, but not a built in.) The fat cat has actually turned a burner on once or twice, so we pop the knobs off, which is safer with the 4 year old around anyway.

There's also the Ssscat, a can of compressed air with a motion sensor that makes a hissing noise when they get near something they shouldn't touch. I know Walmart has them, but they're probably cheaper online, and once they're trained away from an area, you can move the Ssscat to a different one (say, the top of the TV) and train them away from it. I'm pretty convinced that cats on kitchen counters is part of why I've had to call off 2 days of work with G.I. upset, so my vote is keep him off of places where you put food for his sake and yours. They do walk through their own waste repeatedly every day, and their tongues are good for cleaning, but not so much disinfecting.

As for the neuter and shots, there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around this area in the fall: check public bulletin boards around pet stores, etc. for ads. She might already have enough to get his rabies and FIV/lepto. Neuter *can* wait until he's 6 mo. but the sooner the better on that too, usually. Good luck, and try to relax and enjoy the little guy. They really are fun between all the messes they cause! :)

I've used the Ssscat cans before. They make a little noise "warning" and then spray air out. They work great. Just don't forget you have it set and walk in front of it. We've gotten sprayed many times in the middle of the night, lol :)

Could you remove the knobs and keep them in a drawer? The knobs on my stove come right off. That's the easiest solution I can think of....but maybe they don't come off on your stove.

In my old apartment we had a gas stove and you had to push them in to turn. Do yours spin freely?

If they are push and turn, it's probably quite safe. When my kids were toddlers I took the knobs off and kept them out of reach. I think this is the easiest solution of all.

I was more worried about my kids, when they were toddlers, trying to turn the knobs. But they never messed with them either. The cat would have to sit on the stove and reach down to the knobs, and unless there is something there to attract their attention, like something dangling, they aren't going to think twice about the knobs. But the knobs do pull off, so that is a bit of extra reassurance. I'd be more worried about what she can get behind or under, or what she can chew on.

Latest posts

Back