2 days after having babies, bleeding from vagina

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I went and bought the fleece and the reptile heater... and came home to find the little guy laying on his side not moving... but he is alive. Since I know my other reptile heater takes a bit of time to get warm (not to mention I need to sew the fleece before I can set that all up), I wrapped the little guy in a towel and put my (human) heating pad under it to warm it up. Hopefully it'll bring some life back into him.

greychins;197879 So said:
cremation3.jpg

cremation4.jpg

I have had my dogs cremated and Little Man was cremated and his ashes looked nothing like that. The best way to describe them is they look like blue cloud dust.
I would sure ask them about the way they look if it was me.

I have had my dogs cremated and Little Man was cremated and his ashes looked nothing like that. The best way to describe them is they look like blue cloud dust.
I would sure ask them about the way they look if it was me.

I mean no offense in this... but what would I ask? "Hey, this doesn't look like ash - Why not?"

I've read that sometimes some bone is left over, though I didn't think this much. Maybe they don't burn at as high a temperature or for as long as some other places, I don't know... maybe this is "cremation lite," as they were only $60 versus everyplace else around here that starts at like $150 to cremate an animal.

ETA: in flipping the bag over, the stuff below those bone pieces mostly looks like I had anticipated - greyish and some white specks of powderish looking stuff.

ash.jpg

Last edited:
Not to sound gross, but I think that sometimes they will actually pulverize what is left over after the cremation. They probably don't do this with some of the cheaper cremations. Chinchilla ashes always look like that when they are returned - at least that's what I've always seen.

I just read this whole post and I am so sorry for your losses...it isn't fair to lose so much in such a short time. I hope you find peace and I hope you two other kits survive. Pebbles and I will be thinking about you and your chin family.

Thanks everyone. :/ I feel bad because I wonder if it was that fall that did him in. He seemed fine before that, except for the fact I had to use the heating pad with him a few times. I feel that the fall could have been prevented, if only I'd told my friend to wait until I was standing there to open the cage....but maybe even that wouldn't have helped, I might not have caught him either... but I suppose we live and learn.

Thanks everyone. :/ I feel bad because I wonder if it was that fall that did him in. He seemed fine before that, except for the fact I had to use the heating pad with him a few times. I feel that the fall could have been prevented, if only I'd told my friend to wait until I was standing there to open the cage....but maybe even that wouldn't have helped, I might not have caught him either... but I suppose we live and learn.
I doubt it was the fall that did him in. It is likely he was just not going to make it even with momma. I have had several kits jump/fall in the years I have been breeding and none died after that I can recall. Don't blame yourself accidents happen and sometimes it is also just not meant to be

Not to sound gross, but I think that sometimes they will actually pulverize what is left over after the cremation. They probably don't do this with some of the cheaper cremations. Chinchilla ashes always look like that when they are returned - at least that's what I've always seen.

That is interesting because all my dogs & Little Man look like dust.
I always do a private cremation so I wonder if that is why

I did a private cremation as well. At least where I went, if you had a public one, they didn't return the ashes to you.

Well.... I woke up for their 8 am feeding this morning and the other two kits had also passed. :cry3: Well, the whole family's together now.

That's just horrible. I am so sorry. :( Don't worry, it will get back to sugarplums and fluffy happiness soon enough. We all just have our bad things happen to keep everything in perspective. If it went well all the time, you wouldn't appreciate it as much....or at least that's what I tell myself.

Still, in this case, enough already went wrong...it isn't fair!!

Thanks.... I'm anticipating the sugarplums and fluffy happiness happening soon! I'm pretty sure none of our others are pregnant, but at the same time, all our others look happy and healthy, so here's hoping they all stay that way!

I had been having an easy time lately, nothing had really gone wrong for quite some time (granted, we had a no-babies-born period for 2 years, but still), so I suppose I was due something to put things back into perspective.... but things will get better....

Latest posts

Back