Paralyzed Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure if I would let the previous owner know anything....she surrendered the chin to you...when I worked at the emergency clinic we told the people that once they surrender their pet that is it...no more content

Bless you Crysta for making Houdini's final days as comfortable as possible. I know the decision was hard to make, but you are truly saving him from a long life of agony and pain...YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!! I can't say that enough! We will all be here for you when you get home from the vet. Just be there with him and love him as he passes so he leaves our world with a memory of being loved.

You KNOW he's going to be the fastest runner at Rainbow Bridge :dance3:

The less she knows the better..did she say she would contact you wanting updates?

She did. Should I just ignore her emails and phone calls completely or should I just tell her that he passed away?

I would tell her your vet said he had no chance of regaining use of his legs, if you do tell her, and the humane thing to do was to put him to sleep, if she has a problem with it then that's on her heart, you're doing the right thing. She gave him away and had him on Craigslist, and let him suffer, I wouldn't let her harass you because she very may well do that if she disagrees with your decision.

His original owner dropped a china cabinet on him and it broke a vertebrae on his back. He got behind the cabinet during playtime and instead of her using a treat or dustbath to lure him out she tried to move the cabinet.

That is terrible. Even I know that thats not how you get a chin to come to you. WOW! Well he must be a little fighter to even live through that. Poor guy. Thanks TUNES and ESSENTIA for answering my question. I shouldn't have asked cuz now i am even "more" heartbroken about this chin. I bet its been rough for you and your husband. Like i said twice (or more) times before....I wish you all the best and I WILL keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
:cry3:

I think you should tell her he passed away. It will bring closure for her and stop her emails and phone calls to you. She was his mom for a while and deserves to know what happened to him. What she did was an accident, it was just a stupid mistake at the time, which we all do at times. The fact that she took him to the quack vet right away and keeps contacting you shows that she hurts as well. Tell her what happened.

I agree. She should know what is going on and what you had to do in the best interest of the chin. It's an incredibly tough situation, but you are doing the right thing.

I think you should tell her he passed away. It will bring closure for her and stop her emails and phone calls to you. She was his mom for a while and deserves to know what happened to him. What she did was an accident, it was just a stupid mistake at the time, which we all do at times. The fact that she took him to the quack vet right away and keeps contacting you shows that she hurts as well. Tell her what happened.

She didn't bring him to the quack vet, her daughter did. Then she complained about going to pick up his x-ray for me. She then complained about how she spend $150 at the vet. She then put up a CL ad about him AFTER she and I had already made plans to meet up. Then she changed the day on me twice because she was too busy to meet with me. Then she didn't want to drive more than 1 hr. to meet with me, so I had to drive the majority of the way which ended up being about 2 hours each way. While she said she was going to email me about him, she still has not, nor has she called me.

Honestly, I'm really not sure how much this woman actually cares.

But, I will do the right thing and tell her he passed away. Once again, I will not tell her that he was put to sleep. The last thing I need is her slandering my rescue because she is upset. She seems like the type of woman who would, so I want to stay safe and cover my bases.

I'm so sorry to hear you had to make such a difficult decision. I know you did the right thing for the poor little guy, and he's popcorning elsewhere right now. :)

I haven't gone yet, so he's not popcorning just yet, but he will be soon. I know this is what's best for him but it really doesn't make it hurt less. It does help though knowing his little legs will work soon. :)

His appointment is at 9:30 so I will be leaving here in about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I really think this woman is being driven by her children as well. In her total of three emails to me all she talked about was how upset her children were that she was thinking of giving up the other chin for "free". They seem to be making the choices for the animals for her. :(

Hopefully she will get to busy with her surgery and life and just not contact you. If she does..reply with a nice email letting her know that he passed on and that you made him happy while he was with you.

My heart is with you two right now.
as for the owner just say he passed away and ignore the phone calls and emails after that

Good luck today! He's in everyone's thoughts and he'll be in a better place knowing that you spoiled him rotten this morning and let him out of his pain :] He's going feeling very very very loved <3

much love Houdini!

Sweet little Houdini...I hope you have a peaceful journey over Rainbow Bridge and know you will always be loved!

Houdini let go of his pain this morning. I have made a memorial thread for him in chin chat.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support here and in chat. All of you have been absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back