Young Hedgie Humping?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emzy08

the little guy is a little less than 6 months old. hes totally normal, but we noticed about a month ago he would be standing around and stick his little penis out. and more recently now he starts humping things. he'll just just be standing on the table and start humping, or just walking around the hump and stop and hump. i've never seen him do it to an object though.

is this normal? he's not aggressive or anything, nor has his behavior changed..

I have one boy who humps the air. He uses his chest to help. So its more like he humps himself. I did get scared the first time he did it because his mouth opened really wide like he was yawning and then he fell to his side. I thoguht he was having a seizure. But right after he stood right up and went about his normal routine.

I found that putting a box.. an extra hiding spot separate from the bed helps to minimize visibility of boy time.

Awwa, haha I haven't had any issues with James masturbating yet but I'm sure I will eventually. I'm not sure why he would be humping the air though, that's funny. I wouldn't worry about it though <3

Quinn does that sometimes, I guess when the mood strikes. Mostly though he has boy time in private, and once in my bed. The joys of having a boy!

I'm glad I'm not the only one witnessing these events! I've had a hedgie about one year. One day he had an erection, no big deal. Then months later I had him on my lap and he was sucking on it! I was quite alarmed. Then today - about two more weeks - he arched his back funny and fell over twice in an odd position. I was pretty sure it had something to do with his penis but now I know. *sigh* Thanks.

i have had a nice little giggle reading this thread until i remembered oh yeah i have a little guy too! i havent noticed him humping or having boy time yet... something to look forward to! but im sure your little guy is perfectly fine just found a new hobby? =D

Slightly odd and curious question...
How do hedgies normaly masturbate? apart from humping what is the actual 'oficial' way? Surely not with thier paws a la human?

Mace is always sleeping, so I don't have to see his "boy time" I have seen his penis once, and it icked me out so I put him back in his cage. Maybe he's too lazy? He doesn't wheel anymore either. I'm stumped. He just always wants to sleep, but then wakes up and potties and eats.

What's the temperature like? Anything else changed since he stopped wheeling as much? I don't like behavior changes like this, there is usually something amiss, whether it be temperature, too much light in the room at night, toenails too long, or something more serious.

I actually just cut his nails, and no, they weren't really long. He was never a big wheeler, but he did for a few minutes a night. I'd at least see a messy wheel in the morning. Now it's been spotless for 3? Weeks? Temp is nice and toasty, I have a space heater on one side of the cage. The only thing I can think is when I got the heater, I had to move his house around so his bed was by the heater. That was about...march? When I play with him he acts fine, poops are normal, ears great, drinks and pees great. I dunno. Can it be too warm??

Heat may be an issue. If it does get too hot they will be less active. Another thought is could he be still using his wheel but just is getting off to poop now.

Tula is a clean wheel runner quite often. For instance, this morning I looked at her wheel, and its another day where it won't need to be cleaned. Its spotless. I looked at her mileage for the night. 8.23 miles. If I didn't have these odometers I would think there was a problem with her. When she first arrived here last September her wheels were gross, now I wash it maybe twice a week, but she still is running just as far.

Where do you get the odometers? I'd LOVE to know how much they run, especially since I'm still trying to figure out their preferences.

I am SO getting two of those tonight at work. I'm worried about how in the heck I'm going to attach it to a flying saucer though...

Lillybug, let me know if you figure it out, I'm going to get one too, and did wonder about how to attach it to the flying saucer!!

Back