York Show 2010 Info

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishalaa

Irish Chinchilla
The 2010 MCBA Atlantic Chapter Live Animal (Optional Claiming) Show will be held April 10th at the Dover Firehall in Dover, PA. Complete information about the show - including registration, the baby derby, raffles and more - can be found under the 2010 York Show link on our website:

http://www.mutationchinchillas.com/Chapters/Chapters_by_Region/atlantic_chapter.htm

As always, we welcome any and all dishes/snacks/drinks/DESSERTS brought to share for lunch.

Also, we're seeking donations for the raffles, both live animal and door prize. I'd like to list some of the items to be raffled and their donors on the website, so if you intend to donate, please let me know!

Lastly, we are taking ads for the showbook. Half page ads are $5 and full page ads are $10. Deadline is March 20th (before the National show). Send all questions and orders to Brandi at [email protected].

See you there!

I will hopefully be in attendance! I don't really own chins anymore, but every time I've attended a show I love to be an animal handler, so I'd like to offer to do that! I sent a message to Cheryl about it.

Also, I have a ten-hole carrier that I'd like to sell. I only have three chins and don't do rescue anymore, so I don't really don't need it. I'd like $80 for it, and would prefer cash when I get there. It's used, but in good condition and will be sterilized before purchase. That would just about cover the driving cost for me to get there and back, and it would be well worth it so I can go to the show. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Thanks, I hope to see you there!

I can't wait! This will be my first chin show ever. I look forward to meeting a lot of you and hopefully Jags will be able to make it down with a chin I put a deposit on :).

I'm not the best cook but I can try to bring some sort of food since I don't have anything to raffle off but I'm sure I'll be participating in the raffle.

Could someone please tell me about a chinchilla show. I have never been and I do not breed but I feel like it might be fun.

I'm going! :)) I just can't bring any chins home this time, lol.

And ck: A chinchilla show is very different from other animal shows, especially in the fact that the animals can never be touched (for obvious reasons). The chinchillas are first groomed by the owners and/or a helpful friend, put into show cages, and then they are classified by the handlers into their individual mutations/phases, and also seperated into male and female groups. Then, they go up against each other one by one, while the judge holds them up to a show light, to recieve either a 1st-4th (maybe there's a 5th? Dunno, haven't seem one that bad, lol. Either way it's the end of the road for these guys), or the best is a 1A or 1B. The 1As then all go up against each other in a certain phase for phase champion, and the 1 Bs are the possible reserve phase champions and the winner gets the title. Then of course all the phase champions/reserve phase champions go up against each other for class champion/reserve class champion. This happens with all the mutations and standards, and eventually, you're left with all the class champions on the table of all the different mutations/standards. Then they go up against each other, and from there you get best male/female, then they go against each other for grand champion/reserve gc.

God I hope I got that right, lol. I have never had the rules completely explained to me, but after going to so many shows I think I've finally got it, lol. I'm sure someone will make a correction if I made a mistake, but it stills gives you the general idea.

Edit: I think there are 2 age groups as well... Ugh, so many rules, lol.

Last edited:
That was really helpful information. Is it worth going if you have no intention to breed? Some shows are just fun to go and watch and there are vendors who sell fun pet items. Is it at all like that?

Oh definitely still go! :)) There is tons of useful information, lots of great people, and there are quite a few people that set up tables to sell pet items. I have only showed one time for fun, but it's still tons of fun even when you're not showing!

I'm going! :)) I just can't bring any chins home this time, lol.

And ck: A chinchilla show is very different from other animal shows, especially in the fact that the animals can never be touched (for obvious reasons). The chinchillas are first groomed by the owners and/or a helpful friend, put into show cages, and then they are classified by the handlers into their individual mutations/phases, and also seperated into male and female groups. Then, they go up against each other one by one, while the judge holds them up to a show light, to recieve either a 1st-4th (maybe there's a 5th? Dunno, haven't seem one that bad, lol. Either way it's the end of the road for these guys), or the best is a 1A or 1B. The 1As then all go up against each other in a certain phase for phase champion, and the 1 Bs are the possible reserve phase champions and the winner gets the title. Then of course all the phase champions/reserve phase champions go up against each other for class champion/reserve class champion. This happens with all the mutations and standards, and eventually, you're left with all the class champions on the table of all the different mutations/standards. Then they go up against each other, and from there you get best male/female, then they go against each other for grand champion/reserve gc.

God I hope I got that right, lol. I have never had the rules completely explained to me, but after going to so many shows I think I've finally got it, lol. I'm sure someone will make a correction if I made a mistake, but it stills gives you the general idea.

Edit: I think there are 2 age groups as well... Ugh, so many rules, lol.

You got most of the rules for MCBA correct. MCBA rules are different from Empress shows. MCBA shows do divide by sex, phase and age where as Empress does not. Empress does take sex and age into account but doesn't seperate them, so in Empress there is no 1a or 1b, no male and female of show. Phases go against each other, ie tans go against homo beiges go against brown velvets. York is MCBA.

It is worth it to go to a show even if you don't breed to learn more about the animals and meet other people. You don't have to stay the whole time if you go and usually the entry fee for non exhibitors is pretty low. Shows are fun and if you are in the market for supplies or a new chin, people generally have things and chins for sale.

You got most of the rules for MCBA correct. MCBA rules are different from Empress shows. MCBA shows do divide by sex, phase and age where as Empress does not. Empress does take sex and age into account but doesn't seperate them, so in Empress there is no 1a or 1b, no male and female of show. Phases go against each other, ie tans go against homo beiges go against brown velvets. York is MCBA.

It is worth it to go to a show even if you don't breed to learn more about the animals and meet other people. You don't have to stay the whole time if you go and usually the entry fee for non exhibitors is pretty low. Shows are fun and if you are in the market for supplies or a new chin, people generally have things and chins for sale.

Thanks! :)) I completely forgot to mention I was discribing the MCBA rules. I guess since MCBA is all I've ever attended, they are the only rules in my mind, lol.

I think I might try to go it sounds like fun. Thanks for all the info.

This will be my first chins show also. I don't have any interest in showing or breeding.. all my chins are just my pets and who knows if they're actually show worthy but I think it will be a great experience and also very helpful to learn different things I don't know about show quality chins and not to mention the shopping :)

I hope I only come home with the one chin I plan on picking up and not 2 ;)

And ck: A chinchilla show is very different from other animal shows, especially in the fact that the animals can never be touched (for obvious reasons).

Actually, chin shows are very much like other small animal shows. You've hit on one of the differences (not handling the animals), but the similarities are much greater than the differences. All small animal species weight the different show characteristics a bit differently, define classes a bit differently, and run the show a bit differently, etc., but the core concepts and characteristics judged are very similar. And small animal shows have differences from one club to the next even among the same species/breeds just as Empress and MCBA have differences even though both judge chinchillas at their shows.

Linda

Oh ok, gotcha. But, the fact that chinchillas are judged by pelt, doesn't that make it a very different kind of show when it comes to judging, then say, a hamster or cavy?

Oh ok, gotcha. But, the fact that chinchillas are judged by pelt, doesn't that make it a very different kind of show when it comes to judging, then say, a hamster or cavy?

This needs to go to a new thread. I'll post the link once I've got it started.

Linda

I don't think MCBA has different age groups unless they do something different at Nationals and larger shows than they do at York. There is a "Baby Derby" which is purely judged by the spectators based on cuteness. It's like a quarter (.25) a "vote" though. Baby with the most at the end wins.

Back