Worried

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akunaferret

Tasty Human
I just got threw playing with chinnies, haven't had a chance lately because of work and the heat. During play time Flynn wall surfed and used me as a jungle gym many times, as I caught him to go back into the cage he struggled then gave in which is a little rare, sitting in thebpalm of my hand. As. Placed him he started to doze off as I gave him a cherrio and he laid on his side and is now laying on his side on the tile marble slab, responsive, but laying on his side.

Is he ok and I'm just over reacting or is something wrong? Little worried

sounds like he may have had an extra fun and tiring play time, and is hot and cooling down on his slab. Rhino will do that, go lay on his back shelf on his side and go right to sleep, even with the cage door open or the treat container in my hand. he used to lay on his tile under his log house before i revamped the cage with more shelves.

did he get up after a little while, alert and normal?

When mine would overheat I would put them in the freezer for a few min-door open and food from a shelf removed, you can almost see them go AHHHHHHHH.

I put a frozen water bottle in fleece in their cages after playtime. They love it!

You might want to limit time he is out for playtime until you are sure he is OK with it. He might have low blood sugar or be affected by temperature or some other reason. If the temperature in your home is warmer than in the winter then limit playtime for sure until the temperature is cooler.

Tia does this. She's the only one of my chins that do. She gets tired easily, I guess. I have checked to see if she is overheated and it appears that she is not. After a little while of laying down, she will hop back up and be her normal self again.

I went to check on him before bed time and he bounced to the bottom level of the cage, more responsive, it's been a while since this has hgappened, so it scared the crap out if me!

He probbably got too warm. You might want to try lowering the temperature in the house (or room) during playtime. And, of course, give him something to cool off on afterward.

What was the temp in the room? It should be under 74. Heat stroke can and does happen and he is wearing a fur coat. Continue to be careful.

Heatstroke can scare the living daylights outta me. Happened once. When I let my chins out to play I put a few frozen marble slaps around. I see them going on it to chill after some major jumping around, once cooled they're at it again with the jumping. I always turn the temp down in the house 1 hour prior to letting them out in the summer.

I too cool it down to about 68'F before play time. geneally I keep it 68-72 depending on how cold I feel. Sometimes if it's really humid out the boys don't seem to want play time even if the temp is low. I'll walk over to the cage and if they dno't come running I;ll skip a humid night.

Back