Wooden spoons & popsicle sticks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmileX3

I've saw where people use popsicle sticks and wooden spoons for chew toys on here. I was curious where to buy them in bulk that are 100% safe for chins. At JoAnn fabrics, they didn't know what type of wood it was. It didn't say on the package either or if it was natural. I was just curious because it never occurred to me to use those items before.

I have never purchased wooden spoons, but I do not use popsicle sticks. They seem to splinter and I've heard of numerous mouth injuries from them.

I have never purchased wooden spoons, but I do not use popsicle sticks. They seem to splinter and I've heard of numerous mouth injuries from them.

And real wood doesn't? :hmm: I would think any residual sugar from a popsicle stick would not be good for he chin. ?

I use wooden coffee stir sticks. When they splinter, pieces are soft so the chin doesn't get hurt. I buy them at Smart and final in boxes of 1000 for about $4 a box. My chins love them. I got the idea from Margot Neubauer.

I am one of the ones that has a chin who was injured by the popsicle stick toys. I will never use them again nor recommend them. After they buzz sawed them, I would attempt to clean the wood up and get splinters myself. It splinters differently than an apple twig. Plus they usually don't chew the apple twig down to splinters like they do the apple sticks.

I also prefer to only give natural branches or chunks of kiln dried pine but if you have a cake making or party supply store they may have them.

Back