Wood Size for Shelf Edging?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleiades

Manipulated by the Cute
I have a question for people who put those nice edges/lips on their KD pine shelves: Do home improvement stores sell wood that is already kind of narrow like that-like strips? Or do you have to manually cut each piece down to that narrowness? :hmm:

If this product does exist, does it have some sort of name, or will I have to just go hunting through the wood section?

I really appreciate any knowledge you builders might have- I'm planning a Home Depot/Lowes trip today! :)

I just bought supplies to build my own ledges and I went with 2" x 1" boards. The actual finished measurement is probably about 1 1/2" x 3/4" so it might be taller then some of the shelves I've seen on here but I figure it might help with the poop shooting off. You could always mount the edgeing on the outside of the ledge instead of on top and that would bring the height of the edging down a bit too.
I don't think there is a specific name for them but it should be labeled as a 2" x 1" x whatever length you want.
Hope that helps.

Thanks- it does! And that is a nice tip about mounting the edging on the outside; I'll see what I can come up with! :banana:

Back