Wire bottom vs solid

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsbuickman, your cage is dangerous. Those wire ramps and shelves are asking for a broken leg to happen. Chins do not need ramps, they prefer to jump. Get some pine boards and make some shelves and space them around so the chinchilla can jump from shelve to shelf. If is much safer. Also, those edible logs are made with honey which is not good for a chinchilla at all. I would remove it and replace with a wooden house. The pan and bedding in a chinchilla cage should be changed no less often than once a week, regardless of the type of cage you use. If you let soiled bedding sit any longer, it will begin to grow mold. I am sorry if it sounds like I am picking on you, but I worry about your little friend, Things could be much better for Rain. Running around in the shavings is usually not a problem. The chins know which areas they are peeing in and don't tend to lay or play in those areas.

gsbuickman, your cage is dangerous. Those wire ramps and shelves are asking for a broken leg to happen. Chins do not need ramps, they prefer to jump. Get some pine boards and make some shelves and space them around so the chinchilla can jump from shelve to shelf. If is much safer. Also, those edible logs are made with honey which is not good for a chinchilla at all. I would remove it and replace with a wooden house. The pan and bedding in a chinchilla cage should be changed no less often than once a week, regardless of the type of cage you use. If you let soiled bedding sit any longer, it will begin to grow mold. I am sorry if it sounds like I am picking on you, but I worry about your little friend, Things could be much better for Rain. Running around in the shavings is usually not a problem. The chins know which areas they are peeing in and don't tend to lay or play in those areas.

Agree with everything you've put Cuddlebug. That cage would look amazing and much safer if the wire shelves and ramps were replaced with pine shelving/planking and either some bought leap ledges or homemade ones fixed to the side of the cage. It would add some strength too:)).

Back