Wilson white or pink white?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

I have two white babies, and one is definitely a pink white, but the other one has slightly darker pink ears. Are wilson's born with dark ears or do they darken over time?

Wilson Whites have dark ears and dark eyes. Pink Whites have pink ears and red eyes (sometime so dark they look almost black) or pink eyes.
Chincerely, JoAnne

No one answered me about the ear color of wilson white newborns. Their father is a pink white and his eyes look black to me, and the babies' eyes look black too. I don't know how to check without shining a bright light into their eyes, and I don't want to do that.

I have never had a "Wilson white" born here but had two adult Wilson white males, and they had black and pink ears...almost "blotchy". I would guess your kits are just pink whites. It would help though if pictures were given.

I have had several mosaics born here with pink ears...no beige in the lineage, just mosaic and standard. If you can post a picture it would help, but sometimes you just have to watch them as they grow. If they are mosaic, they WILL develop dark coloring on their ears as they age.

Mosaic when she was born...

A26_zps3b597492.jpg

Mosaic at about 6 months, notice the dark splotches on her ears...

SleepyPocket.jpg

Ear color is not always a tell tale sign on a chin. I have even seen them with one pink and one dark colored ear which caused a little bit of a stir at the ECBC show it was entered in. It fit in both the light ear and dark ear groups.

The ears of the chin born with slightly darker pink ears seem to be getting darker. I think we have a wilson white on our hands =)

Back