Will two bonded chins ever bond with me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_soda025

I got two chins about a few months ago. They are both males, and were already bonded with each other when I got them (that is kind of why I got both; I originally intended on getting one). Now, it's great and all that they're good buddies with each other, but they don't seem to care for bonding with humans at all! Will they ever bond with me, or will they only care about each other? They also hate being touched by people; they don't even like chin/head scratches. I have never met a chin that didn't like them, but then the ones I've interacted with were only kept alone. They will also get annoyed when any part of their fur is touched. Is this normal behaviour for chins that are kept in pairs? My friend's chin is very friendly with people, and loves to ask for attention and for chin scratches. These guys seem to just like to beg me for treats. :hmm:

I have heard it said bonded chins don't bond as closely with their human. I have several bonded chins--in fact of my 9 chins only Leonard is a single LOL! Mick St. John and Wesley are very bonded to each but also bonded very much to myself and my son. Abigail and Solange also very bonded to each other, but Abigail is very bonded to me--Solange is more bonded with my son. I have a mother daughter duo--Bobo and GiGi and Bobo is pretty fierce until she's out of the cage. I think it just really depends on the chin. Most chins don't care to be held. Of my 9 chins ONLY Leonard likes scritches. Everyone else thinks fingers should be for doling out treats.

I say the more time, love and care you can give them the more used to you they will be and hopefully realize you need their love.

I kind of had the same problem as you, I have two chins each in separate cages then got two more male bonded chins that are kept together. My bonded boys weren't as crazy to be out of the cage as my others but what I think helped with them is I either took both of them out at the same time, so they still had the secruity of each other, and let them run up to me in the bathroom or I would take one out and turn away from their cage so he couldn't see his brother. I don't know why but they seem to do much better if they can't see their cage/brother.

Don't give up though and good luck!

I also have the same problem as long as they are in the cage. My singletons are very friendly with me when I interact with them in their cage. My pair not so much. They are very friendly during play time though. They are also friendly with me when I take them out individually for some love.

That is interesting to know. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, haha. For some reason, I never thought of interacting with them individually *facepalm*. They are almost ALWAYS together, even during playtime so no wonder they would prefer each other. I guess I will try taking them out individually on some days and see if that makes a difference.

Well, Filbert, my violet male is usually very easy to handle. He does stay relatively still when he's held, but wants down after a minute but won't do anything crazy like leap off of me when I'm standing; only when I lower him to the ground he jumps off. Pepper, my standard grey is another story! I'd be lucky to even successfully pick him up most of the time. He is really fast, and really hates being handled. When I'm holding him, most of the time he will just try as hard as he can to escape or squirm really hard. He doesn't seem to be afraid of heights either. He'll jump off of anything, if that means he doesn't need to be handled to get back on the ground. Fortunately, there's nothing in the bathroom that's super high or would be damaging if he jumps off of it. I don't think it is because he's afraid of me or anything; he climbs onto me and jumps onto me and everything. I think he just really, really hates to be handled or restricted in any way. I have a feeling that he's not going to calm down even if he's alone, either. But I will give it a try anyways.

I don't know if this will help, but I have single girl Sidney Crosby, and she is really crazy and only lets me pet her, never lets me pick her up...But i find that when shes just waking up, or if she is resting with her eyes open, she is MUCH more receptive to scritches and petting. Obviously I don't bother her while she is sleeping but when shes less active, shes much more receptive to lovin'!

I kinda have the same problem :( I had one chinchilla originally and we became so close and she loved coming out to be with me and we would sit for forever. and then i got her her neutered boyfriend. she still enjoys tummy rubs and all but she doesn't want to come out as much, but i dont regret gettinghim. also it does help on those busy days. and also, she still loves me greatly and i take her out and then she has fun when i take them out together too. but hes still doesnt like being petted.

Back