Will my chins get used to me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lottie1996

i have two chinchillas ive had them for about 6 months, there still only babys. i jsut wunderd if i got him out every day and sat him on my lap and stroked him gently would he get used to it because he kicks and riggles all of the time? or would he hate me ?

Some chins are cuddlers, but most would prefer to run around like lunatics rather than sit still for long periods of time. Your best best is to sit with your arms in their cage each day and let them get used to jumping on you. That'll help to build trust so that eventually they'll balance on you and be more comfortable letting you handle them. It takes patience and time, but they'll warm up once they stop seeing you as a threat. Grabbing is definitely necessary for vet visits and monthly weighing, but when you're still trying to establish trust, it's not a good idea at all.

If you browse through this forum, you'll find out that all chins have different personalities. Watching youtube videos like ChinTubeHD doesn't help, despite it being too cute. My 3 chins are all different. My first chin was very anti social at first. She'd spray every time I got near. She's warmed up after 2 years by constantly wanting to be pet around the neck and going nuts when I'm awake or home. She still sprays and barks when she can't have her way and won't allow anybody pick her up especially when she has to go back into the cage when playtime is up. My Mother/Daughter duo I got about a year ago are still warming up to me, I think... Both hide when I'm feeding them and Mom huffs or bites me when I'm near. I sometimes think I should send them back and hope they find a better home they would like. But would you really send a child back because of how they act? In the end, I think patience should win out. Give treats sparingly when they are around you. They begin to believe that being around you is a reward.

When you let them out for playtime, lay on the floor and let them "explore" you at their leisure. They are curious little critters and will soon see you as their favorite playtime toy to climb on, and it will build up their trust in you a lot quicker.
Also, giving them access to their cage during playtime helps a LOT. It gives them a measure of security to be able to run in and out of their cages on their own when they are feeling skittish. If you have a Ferret Nation or Feisty Ferret, doggy steps fit really well up against the bottom door. If it is a smaller cage not on wheels, just set it on the floor during playtime and open the door. (in a chin-proofed room, of course.)

Back