Why is she still drooling?? help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
I brought my 9 year old bv, Oprah, to the vet last tuesday because she had been drooling after eating, some weight loss but NO weepy eyes. I took her to see Dr. Zyra in Bolton, a recommended vet on here, that sees a lot of chins, rabbits and guinea pigs.

When she opened up Oprah's mouth with her special tool she saw something I hadn't seen on a check of her front teeth. Behind her top front teeth was extended teeth that had overgrown quite a bit into her mouth. She said she sees this in rabbits. They were extended down and back a bit into the mouth so that is why I didn't see them when I looked at her teeth. Because if her chewing improperly her bottom teeth were also a little overgrown. She clipped and filed both sets. Her tongue look fine and she was excited to see that her bottom back molars looked nice and smooth. I believe she did a thorough check and checked the back top teeth but I honestly don't remember.

I was very excited that her prognosis seemed good. As long as I kept her teeth filed as needed she should be fine or so I thought.

A couple of days later I thought I noticed a bit of wetness but I thought maybe it was from her drinking. Tonight however, she has a wet chin. Not sopping wet but there are definite drool lines. It seems to be worse while eating. . She is still chowing down her pellets and she gets very excited over her Meadow Alfalfa that has nice green leafy pieces. She is still active. Her eyes are still clear.

In case she was still experiencing pain from the filing, I gave her a drop of metacam. Honestly her jawline doesn't feel too bad.

I don't get it. Over the years I have had a few mal chins but usually when they are drooling, it is because their mouth is a mess or becoming a mess. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Of course she will be getting a vet visit. There is a possibility I won't be able to get in right away. I'm very bummed for Oprah :(

I'm half asleep as I write this so please forgive any errors in my writing.

Last edited:
A recheck and x-rays should be done, the oral exam should be done under gas along with a periodontal exam. Its not uncommon for vets to miss teeth issues on the first visit, especially if they just used a otoscope to look without the chin being put under. Front incisor elongation of the crown part of the tooth usually means overgrowth to some extent of the rear teeth.

Xrays were a second choice at the first visit. At the time it seemed cut and dry. Front teeth elongated, back teeth look fine. Clip and wait and see. Anesthesia is serious. She even showed me the bottom back molars to show they looked normal. I've been out of work for over a year so I didn't want to jump into it. Rest assured if the vet feels it is the next step, I'll do it.

I have felt a LOT of jawlines over the year and can can tell you even before symptoms arise when a chin is going to eventually show symptoms of root elongation. This has been a bone of contention with me and some breeders. I have asked "have you kept a "eye" on your chins jawline?" and they say no. Instead they are bred until they show symptoms.

Guess I'll call the vet and get us going on the next step. Thank you :)

Waiting for the vet to call. My elderly cat is going in also since she has been urinating outside of litter box.

Every year it is almost as if my pets know our income tax refund has come in lol

Chinchilla dental issues on the surface may seen cut and dry, but I have found its not always the case if the issue is not resolved on the first visit. The mouth is so dynamic that one issue usually leads to other issues in a matter of weeks.

hopefully a full set of xrays will determine the problem and you can get Oprah back on track! also sometimes when the vet is doing an exam or trim that could trigger some irritation and they often prescribe a round of the tri meth sulfa to clear up any potential infection.

The vet is starting her on metacam and a round of antibiotic. If no better by friday, we are going in for xrays. Good thing I have critical care here.

Update On Oprah...was doing o.k on antibiotics and pain meds then this past weekend she started drooling like crazy again.

I brought her to my regular vet this time and Oprah was put under and x-rays were taken. Nothing obvious popped out at the vet but she is posting them online for other vets to review to be sure. She found one sharp area that she filed down. I am feeding her critical care now. So far no drooling but I don't think she is eating anything on her own yet. Time will tell...

New, better x-rays...roots growing up towards eyes... need I say more :( Oprah seems happy at this moment. She's putting on weight and doesn't drool with the critical care. Eats it like a champ and takes her metacam. However, I know it is only a matter of time. As soon as she shows signs of discomfort, unhappiness or pain, I will be putting her down.

Last edited:
I am so sorry, love her, keep her tummy full and let her play like a kid. She will let you know when its time.

I am so sorry, love her, keep her tummy full and let her play like a kid. She will let you know when its time.

Thank you Dawn. A vet in Germany examined the x-rays...she said they were excellent rads...and she feels that Oprah is probably in a fair amount of pain already. I'm letting her go tomorrow. This bites :(

I am sorry. I have been through this numerous of times. My vet always said it's the quality of life you have to think about.

Thank you. She's gone and I feel so bad for her cage mate Beaner. I have another female who has a compatible temperament to put with her but I'm going to wait several days.

I'm so glad I have a vet that lets me hold the chinchillas after the injection so that they are not scared until they pass.

Back