Why does my chin poop SO much?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryismychin

I've had my 7 month old chinchilla for about a week now and literally all he does is poop. He poops about every 5 seconds. He poops while runs on his wheel and steps all in it, he poops on top of his hide house and steps in it, he poops all over his chin-chiller. He even poops all over me when i pick him up. Is this normal? Should I try changing his diet? I give him like half a treat a day and he always has water and Timothy hay and food. Help!

Because if he wasn't pooping a lot, he would either be very ill or dead. A normal, healthy chinchilla poops pretty much with every step they take. Most people say if they are breathing, they are pooping, and that's the truth. It's not a big deal. Chin poop is not wet or sticky. Just brush it off, sweep it up and it's taken care of.

Yep! POOP is good!!! Means he is healthy and digestive systems are working right! If the poop is wet or sticky and he is smearing it around, then there might be a health problem you need to address. They should be easy to clean by just sweeping up.

Yes! Chinchillas are pooping machines! Get used to it, you're going to step on it. Heck, you might even find it in weird, random places lol

Yes! Chinchillas are pooping machines! Get used to it, you're going to step on it. Heck, you might even find it in weird, random places lol

Like your bra, or your shoes that have never been in the same room as a chinchilla! I swear they sneak out at night just to spread it around and laugh at us :tease:

Chin's have small little bodies, which means small little stomachs...They eat a lot, so obviously their droppings just keep producing. As I've be told, chinchillas have none if not very little control over their bowels, which is why they wont hesitate to let it out in your hand. I have noticed however, that my chins poop the most when they feel like they can't be seen...-In comfortable, dark, hidden areas.

So does mine!

I need to sweep up after her on a daily basis. I often wonder though, is this her way of "marking her territory" I ask mostly because even if I clean up every single poop in her cage at night by the next morning it's full again! Not in hideaway spots either!

They poop several hundred times a day, this is a good sign, if they are not pooping or if there poop is soft you should them have some concern.

She is not marking her territory. Her bowels are just doing what nature intended. Chinchillas poop a lot. Try sweeping in the morning. The floor will stay cleaner longer that way since they are more active at night.

Well, something that caught my attention is the "steps in it" part. When a dog goes potty and steps in it, it will often get on their paws because it mushes. When a chin steps in their poo it should be of little consequnce because their poo should be firm, should not easily squish, and should not stick to much at all. How is the consistency of the poo? If it's firm, doesn't squish easy, doesn't smell badly...then you have yourself a normal chin. They poop. It's good (as mentioned) and normal. While it can be a bit inconvenient (and they can and WILL pick the worst times and places to poo) it's all part of chin ownership. NOW, if it's mushy, smells...isn't a dark brown color...there may be reason for concern.

Back