Whisper!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
Well I've recently fallen in love with a dog at my local shelter where I volunteer, Whisper the pit bull/pit bull mix!

She's an absolute sweetheart with me, but when I'm not there she growls at men, and cowered whenever I raised my hand the first time I took her out of her kennel. Poor baby. She's now on her second month there, and I'm thinking about finding someone to foster her until I can adopt her if someone doesn't take her before she goes kennel crazy. Have you guys ever heard of a situation like that happening? I'd rather just be able to get her right away, but lack another yard at the moment, or have another good person adopt her, but I definitely don't want her to die because she growls and has never made a truly aggressive move. I also don't want to take up a potential home for a more needy foster.... argh!

Just a tough situation and need some outside input!

If you can take her to foster, I think that would be the best bet once her time at the shelter is up or whatever happens that will make her unadoptable. Unless you can find a foster that is more suitable or find someone to adopt her.

Are you afraid she is going to bite and become aggressive, thus causing the shelter to euthanize her? And what would a more needy foster be? I don't really know how dire her situation is. Take into consideration if you can meet her needs and keep her and your family safe.

I actually talked to the director of the shelter about her. She's friends with my dad and wanted to discuss Whisper with me, seeing as I took her out every time I volunteered. She's now attacking other dogs and going kennel crazy, so they think that unless she gets adopted soon they'll have to put her down. It makes me sad, but I wouldn't want her sitting there in a kennel when nobody would take her to foster, since she's potentially dangerous. Poor girl, she's such a sweetheart with me but I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. It's not an easy thing to think about but... it happens I suppose.

Back