Which hay do you like more?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liewwan

Even though I can get 2nd cut hay from local farmers here, I just want to go back to plain 2nd/3rd cuts timothy hay vs mix.
I basically have 2 options to go and that's either Farmer's Dave or KMS. If you have ordered from these places before and had a bad experience please let me know. I want the best hay for all the chins and sooo not wanting to haul bales and bales from up north.

I don't have anything bad to say about KMS, however I know a few people have had issues with their hay. The only thing I had an issue was my most recent order, where I found a lot of non-timothy scraps in the mix that I had to pick out. It wasn't a lot, but I noticed it. With that said, my chins started eating hay more when I bought KMS. You might just have to do a trial run with both, maybe order a small amount of each if you wanted to go that far.

i know farmer dave is suppose to have a great rep, but i ordered hay from him and to be honest, it stunk, kind of like punky feet and really bad punky feet, i dont know how else to describe it.. so i wrote to him and he replaced it without a problem, however the next batch stunk too.. and i just didn't feel comfortable using hay that stunk like that, so i tossed it.

I have tried a few brands and I like KMS the best. However, it is inconsistent batch to batch and year to year. I suspect it has to do with which farmer she buys from. Some batches are wonderful and almost 100% timothy, some batches have a lot of random weeds (something that looks like lamb's ear, and a few other stiffer weed types) and I know for a fact that some of my chins have gotten sick from them because since I have sifted through all my hay before feeding it to them (and picked out the undesireable species) they have not shown the same symptoms (diarrhea, which I suspect is from the weed that looks like lamb's ear). Regardless, taking these precautions, it is the best hay, fresh, green, and my chins love it.

I use APD for timothy and oxbow for alfalfa.

I took a look at the bales and the prices is awesome, but it saids the bales are only 1.5 pounds and it seems pretty small. Do they sell more on a bulk end? I need about 25 pounds at least for 1-2 months with 14 chins (including rescues). They eat like a horse :impatient:

I (personally) don't like hay :p however, my chins went absolutely bonkers over the sample that fuzzies kingdom sent me with their supplement! Unfortunately, last I checked they won;t have any more available until September...

Back