When to pull ledges/shelves?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic_FROST

So I went ahead and pulled the ledges from that Black Velvets cage. Not knowing her due date worries me. She has been an angel the few weeks we have had her here since rescinding her.

I pulled her shelves, and she sits on the bottom now and sprays piss EVERY chance she gets and has started to attack my hand when I change food or hay.

My hand hurts and shes got surprisingly very accurate aim :| can I put her shelves back up until I see teats? If something doesnt get better theres no way shes going to let me touch those babies when they come.

Does she have a hidey house? Moms like to nest when they are pregnant. With the change in behavior, i.e., the spraying, it's very possible she's pregnant. She could also just be letting you know she's angry you took her shelves. A hidey house could go a ways in helping with that. You could also try putting her shelves down really low, so she still feels like she's perching, but if she has babies they won't be hurt if they fall and they can reach her to nurse. I've left leap'n ledges in my cages before, I just put them about an inch or 2 off the bottom of the cage.

Back