When to change chin toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

My little ones have been whittling away at some of their toys (to the point that a few have pointy corners...is this harmful? or will they whittle it down eventually?), and others a little bit here and there.

Do you leave them in there until they're mostly gone? Add new ones every few days? Both?

I'm partially asking because while they don't chew on the fleece that's in their cages, John Doe has chewed on some of his cage (a FN)...and wondered if that's because he's bored with his toys (many of which are long ones I've purchased from TwilightChinchillas, in case you're wondering)?

I will be getting some hidey houses in the next few days, btw.

I tend to move mine around more than take them out, but it also depends on how quick they get the bark off. Every weekend I add new stuff, but mid week I change where they are in the cage so different parts will be nibbled differently. I also take pieces off that still have some bark on ends/middles and remake toys w/ some of those and some completely new pieces. Gotta make the most of it. :)

Pointy edges wont hurt the chins. We find that they actually enjoy the most pointy parts and in the wild even eat cactus!

As for when to change them out...we usually remake ours or add on when they are about halfway consumed. That is, if we can get to them at that point. Often all we see left are a couple of pieces before we get in fast enough to change them out. Adding new toys or toy parts often increases their interest and chewing pleasure.
I'd have to say on average, the chins go through a toy per week, depending on the type of chews you use.

with Rhino's toys, i quite often see pointy ends to the fruit flavoured/dyed wood pieces most. with barked wood, he usually just chews the bark off and ignores it after that.

if the pointy ends look really sharp and poky i'll snap the end off, just to be on the safe side.

i change his toys around often, completely dismantling them and moving parts around to make 'new' toys. this renews his interest without me having to spend a boatload of money on new wood or toys. i'll put one or two brand new pieces on a toy filled with older stuff, and that seems to renew his interest in the whole toy, and it all gets gnawed on again.

with Rhino's toys, i quite often see pointy ends to the fruit flavoured/dyed wood pieces most. with barked wood, he usually just chews the bark off and ignores it after that.

if the pointy ends look really sharp and poky i'll snap the end off, just to be on the safe side.

i change his toys around often, completely dismantling them and moving parts around to make 'new' toys. this renews his interest without me having to spend a boatload of money on new wood or toys. i'll put one or two brand new pieces on a toy filled with older stuff, and that seems to renew his interest in the whole toy, and it all gets gnawed on again.

Ahh, thank you very much!

I buy wood parts and change Lolas and Dottys toys around, i change the shape of the toys and move the different wood shapes around and i often move their toys to different places in the cage. If a wood part gets sharp points i remove it :) If their toys are a little bit chewed i let them carry on with it but i always seem to find the toys getting fluffy and if i cant get it off with a shake then i replace them too :)

Back