when to allow chins to live together

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeaksbirdtoys

Hi, I have two unrelated baby chinchillas. A mosaic and a black velvet. They are about 8 weeks old and I have them housed together now. My question is when should I separate them so my male doesn't breed the female too early? And at what age should my female be ready to breed? I was told 8 months old, and wanted to confirm that. I have them in the top section of my new critter nation cage, but plan on using both top and bottom to separate them.

Attachments

• chins.jpg
    chins.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 50
Ditto, seporate them immediately! Once chins are 8 weeks old they should be seporated until at least 8 months old. Many females can take up to 1 1/2 yrs old to be ready to breed. Females start cycling at 8-10 weeks and can get bred that young with can cause many problems. Are your chins pedigreed? There are many things to consider when breeding.

I would put NO female in breeding at 500 gm. Nothing goes in here until they are 600, more like 650 or 700 and up.

I'm also not sure what females take a year and a half to be ready to breed? Oftentimes putting a female into breeding after they are a year old results in no kits or taking forever for the female to conceive.

OP - I'm hoping your girl isn't pregnant already. Yes, it can happen as early as that. If you ever saw your male humping your female, the deed may already be done.

I ment the yr and a half to reach proper size. I know with slower growing lines and certain mutes it takes longer to reach adult size.

If i may ask OP, why do you want to breed?
I see so many chinchillas being given up every day around here. So many in need of homes already. I just dont get why one would breed more.

I wouldn't breed a female under 600 grams either, but I know that there are breeders who would and it used to be quite common. I usually put my girls in to breeding between 8 months and a year of age and a minimum of 600 grams.

Back