When do chins stop growing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michellemazz

I was just curious when chins top out and stop growing.
Julio is a 520 grams at 1 year 6 months.
He looks so little compared to other chins I've seen, but he is a good little eater / pooper.

There was also another post discussing the benefits of getting an adult chin vs a baby because personality is more established.
At what age would you say that happens?

My chin is a very sweet little guy.
He will still occasionally peep his treats / attention.
Do adults continue to peep or is this still a "baby" thing?

How long does puberty last in a chin?

Depending on the mutation chins reach full size about 1-2 years old. Some chins are just small, average weight for an adult chin is anywhere from 400g to 1,000+g, so there is a big variety. So long as he is eating, and acting normal and you don't feel or see any bones sticking out he is probably fine. Puberty last from around 4-6 months to around a year, but it's not uncommon for them to be able to mate as young as 8 weeks (which is why males especially are weaned by 8 weeks). Normally by around a year old they have settled on their adult personality, hormone levels are leveling off so mood swings taper off, etc. However with males most never really grow out of the humping, they might not do it as much but it still happens.

I'm not sure what you mean by peep, if you are talking about the little noises they make when trying to get your attention, then no they don't necessarily grow out of that, some do some don't. My current two are 8 years old and they still make little noises to me, as well as sit with their little paws and nose sticking out looking sad. They have also learned that ringing the bell on a hanging toy sometimes works better since it's louder, it's hard to ignore a near constant ding ding ding, lol.

Vincenza reached full size about 2 years and 585g. She's a pink and white.

She actually gets weirder with age. She's 4 now and has had all manner of behavior changes. She started burrowing under her fleece about 6 months ago. Before that she learned to go going to a specific corner in her cage for attention.

She didn't spray for the first year and a half we had her, then started later on.

They don't seem to ever stop learning. Even though Vincenza and Cinnamon are housed separately they also seem to learn from each other. Cinnamon didn't start peeping until we had her for about a year.

Back