Wheel questions, I've been off the site awhile..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

So I'm trying to get my chins cages revamped, drawing out ideas and looking at people's pics of their cages. But I need to buy some more wheels which will probably happen one at a time but I have a couple of questions...

First I searched for wheels and it seems that the Ed wheel is no longer being made? Any new stuff out there that people have tried?

Also does anybody know the links to the wheels comparison threads? I searched "wheel" but can't seem to find it. I have a FN and of course I need whichever will rattle the cage less. I have a wheel, not sure if its the Chin Spin or not - just has 3 connection points on the back, and it's SO loud and rattles the cage so bad that any chin living in the other compartment experiences like a 7 on the Richter Scale. Anyone want to weigh in on FN wheels?

I think a wheel that has been off to the side for awhile (because not many have them) is the Silver Surfer i.e. Grape Escape. I recently got one and they are amazingly quiet! They are not as large and bulky as the Chin Spins, which reduces cage rattle considerably. The only sound I hear when my chins (one of my largest chins, mind you) runs on it is the patter of their feet. The only place I know of to buy it from is chinchillas.com

These wheels are also the cheapest I believe, but are really good quality. I've only had mine for about a month now, but no issues yet. My chin spins are peeling and loud, and need bearings replaced again for the third time.

I also love my Flying Saucer. It can be a bit noisier, but wedging a wooden block beneath it helps a bunch.

I haven't tried my silver surfer grape escape wheel yet as it just came in the mail yesterday. I agree with Stacie that brand new, it is the cheapest well made wheel that I've found online, here is the link -

http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=106

I've only had the chin spins for 2.5 years now, I haven't had any problems with them and they are still fairly quiet but I wanted to try a different wheel for my chins. I took it out of the box to show the size against the chin spin.

8136d9dd.jpg

18907e95.jpg

I just got two grape escapes about a month ago. So far so good!!! I can't hear them at all when their running on them. :)

ETA: I do have to give props to chinchillas.com as well. When I ordered I went with fedex shipping. But they shipped it UPS, (Ups wasn't even an OPTION...) when brought to their attention, they refunded me a portion of the shipping..

the silver surfer/grape escape wheel looks too narrow to me for a chin to run on comfortably. what is the difference between the running 'path' width between the two wheels (surfer vs chin spin)?

the silver surfer/grape escape wheel looks too narrow to me for a chin to run on comfortably. what is the difference between the running 'path' width between the two wheels (surfer vs chin spin)?

Like I said, even my one of my largest chins run just fine on it. He weighs 850 grams and very round/wide. It has a 4" running path. If I remember right the Chin Spin is 6".

Just measured both my chin spins and got 7 inches. My Ed wheel is just under 6 inches. The chin spin is overkill in my opinion. The chins here run just fine on my silver surfer and Ed WHeels.

good to know the surfer is wide enough. and it's a bit cheaper too, yay!

now my next question is - does it come in any colour other than purple? lol.

It comes in silver and pink as well.

At least they did..I don't see them on the website anymore. Also, the Grape Escape has dropped $10 since I bought it. My luck. :impatient:

Last edited:
Wow, wish I had seen that. I just got my chin spin yesterday, and although I don't mind it, it takes up so much room!

Thanks Laura, nice to be back on. Just between work, mom was in the hospital earlier this year again and foster baby kittens (thrown in the trash at days old) it's been a little nuts around the house. Oh yeah and a little trip to texas to try out for the Amazing Race..haha. But yeah, craziness.

Anyhow from what I am hearing it does sound like the silver surfer might be the way to go. None of my chins top 800g so they should be fine on it. At the price I might be able to get them a little faster than the current budget projections allow. But why oh why purple? LOL. I'm hoping for silver. Green would be ok. I have some idea of trying to do a zoo theme in all the cages since that's the line of work I want to get into. Green or brown would fit in, silver too. But sounds good guys, I'm going to try one out this next month (or by the end of this month if i get enough commissions from work). Hmmm...how can I work purple into a zoo theme? Unless I change it to a circus motif?

But why oh why purple? LOL. I'm hoping for silver. Green would be ok. I have some idea of trying to do a zoo theme in all the cages since that's the line of work I want to get into. Green or brown would fit in, silver too. But sounds good guys, I'm going to try one out this next month (or by the end of this month if i get enough commissions from work). Hmmm...how can I work purple into a zoo theme? Unless I change it to a circus motif?

Because purple is the BESTEST!!!

LOL....so what we are saying is it is Becky's fault??? Well I e-mailed and I got a very fast reply which is nice. So I was told they use to produce them in different colors but purple was the most popular.They said they could possibly make some in pink but for me that is a major no go. Purple (for me) was bad....pink is worse. I don't do pink...ever. I don't know if it's cause I was a tomboy growing up or cause my name is Barbie. Probably the latter. If I ever see a pink corvette I might go postal. :window:At any rate I don't think i want a circus theme, my chins are on my room and it would be in garish contrast to the rest of the room. Oh well...let's see. Next best wheel?

:cheer:

I am SOOOOO glad I found this thread!!!! Right now my chins are too young to use exercise wheels (4 and 5 months old), but I've been looking for the future anyway, and really didn't want to spend $70+ a piece. :high5:

Glad they're willing to do pink, at least.... wonder which one my little man will prefer? :hmm:

I have the beasty metal flying saucers affixed to my ferret nations, now I can hear them when they run..but it's not a drive you insane amount of noise.
I've heard some say affixing a block of wood behind it "quiets" it, but can't comment as I haven't bothered to try it since the noise doesn't tend to bother me.

Latest posts

Back