Wheel Hog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1nOnlyMatty

I hope I am posting this in the right section. I'm new so if not please feel
free to point me in the right direction. My first question is behavioral. My hetero beige boy...Gus Gus is very possessive of the wheel in the cage. He is not aggressive about it, however, when ever any of the other boys get in the wheel he will immediately go and bump them out and bark. Like I said he isn't aggressive towards the other boys...just bossy I guess. Is there anything I can do to get him to share a little better? Or is just getting a second wheel for everyone else the best option?

The second question is product related. The current wheel I have is from when I was still a very naive Chinnie newby a few months ago. It is plastic, has a hub in the middle, and quickly is becoming to small for the boys. One of my boys is still very young, so a flying saucer style isn't necessarily and option at the moment. My oldest two are a little over 5 months. The youngest almost 3 months. What wheels are best/ have you had the best results with, and where is the best place to get them from? Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

There's really nothing you can do to make him share. Getting a 2nd wheel might help.

It is highly recommended that chins under 6 months don't have wheels because they use up too much energy/calories, that they need for growing. I would take the wheel out, and when they're older look into a chinspin, flying saucer, or silver surfer.

Wait until all of them are atleast 6 months. They'll be fine without the wheel. I actually took a wheel away from my 6 month old because I felt she was going to hurt herself the way she was using it. She's almost 1 1/2 and I'm just starting to think that she may be mentally mature enough to have one.

Thanks for the heads up on that one...I had no idea. I had only heard safety wise the flying saucer wasn't good for babies. Maybe not having it for awhile will make him more apt to share when the time comes...it's his favorite ledge as well as toy.

Back