What's Too Cold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1nOnlyMatty

I've seen on here plenty of info about what is too hot for chins, but what is too cold? It's down to 61 here tonight and we have windows open is that too cold for my boys?

nope, that's just fine for them. from what i've read, chins are ok down to 55. but i don't think anyone wants to keep their house that cool!

Chins are ok down into the negatives so long as they have a house or small area to go into. For breeding if the barn is open-air or gets colder than 50 it is best to have a heated nestbox for babies.

I was just wondering about that.

My chin has been sitting squashed into the corner of his cage all day, trying to get as close as possible to the radiator. (I'm keeping a close eye to make sure he doesn't get too hot, and the radiator isn't ever fully on anyway) It's been around 56 with the heating off, warmer otherwise. He's just never seemed to like the cold, he did that last Autumn/Winter too, and he doesn't sit there normally. Weird chin. >_<

My chin has been sitting squashed into the corner of his cage all day, trying to get as close as possible to the radiator.
They do love radiant heat, my house is 72 right now and there are four weanlings crammed into the corner of the cage that the sun is hitting.

They have always done that for as long as I've had chins. If the sun touches any part of a cage there is a chin there.

Back