Whats in a name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why yes, yes I am a Battlestar Galactica fan. Love it! And I use frack often.

I haven't heard of the soccer player, so my first thought was Hawaii. I really love the name Pele. I think it's perfect!

Have you been watching season 4.5? OMG!!!! <---(I never use that) EEeeeep! So amazing!

I think it depends on which name people know. I knew both sides of the name story, so I thought of the goddess first (she had the name first after all)

I've only heard of Pele the soccer player.

But if you like the name then you should name it whatever you like!

Ok, so I've continued to think long and hard on names for the new black velvet. And I've been loking a bunch up. And so here is the updated list. I'd love to hear peoples thought on them. I've put them in the order of which I like best.. but any way..

PELE
Usage: Pacific/Polynesian Mythology
Meaning unknown. This was the name of the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes and fire who is said to live in Kilauea.

MIN
Usage: Chinese
Other Scripts: 敏 (Chinese)
Means "clever, sharp" in Chinese

RAJANI
Usage: Indian, Hindu Mythology
Other Scripts: रजनी (Sanskrit)
Means "the dark one" in Sanskrit. This is another name of the Hindu goddess Kali or Durga.

NYX
Usage: Greek Mythology
Other Scripts: Νυξ (Ancient Greek)
Means "night" in Greek. This was the name of the Greek goddess of the night, the daughter of Khaos and the wife of Erebos.

LILITH
Usage: Near Eastern Mythology
Pronounced: LIL-ith (English) [key]
Derived from Assyrian lilitu meaning "of the night". This was the name of a demon in ancient Assyrian myths. In Jewish and Islamic tradition she was Adam's first wife, sent out of Eden and replaced by Eve because she would not submit to him. The offspring of Adam and Lilith were the evil spirits of the world.

ODESSA
Usage: Various
From the name of a Ukrainian city which sits on the north coast of the Black Sea.

Last edited:
I absolutely love Min an Nyx , but out of those two Min is my favorite.

I think of the soccer player when I hear Pele, but I still think it is a cute name for a chin.

Nyx is growing on me more and more each day, because for a nickname I can call her Nixie which is a kind of mischeivious Pixie. I likes it.

So plans for that particular chinchilla fell through. The breeder decided that he didn't want to sell her after all but use her has part of his herd. Which is understandable she is gorgeous. But he sent me to another breeder intown. Now this place was not even a fraction as nice as the original breeder, I'm not gonna get into it... But he did have lovely sweet natured BV and for a great price. So she's home and because she isn't super fiery or fierce we went with Nyx... Be we are not fixed on it. Maybe when she settles in she will be some one else...

It is still a possibility, the more we get to know her the more her name goes into flux. I still really like the name too!

I think no matter what you name the chin, people will think what they want to think anyway. Nyx, makes me thinks of no, like nix that idea.

I think no matter what you name the chin, people will think what they want to think anyway. Nyx, makes me thinks of no, like nix that idea.

Lol! That actually kind fits her currently. She is not such a fan of being rehomed but we are only on day two and I think the fact that her new home is 9 times larger then her last one confuses the bejesus out of her. First chin I ever met that didn't get the concept of ledges. Just contemplates them and goes back to her corner. All of this is new and she wants nothing to do with it, except maybe the cheerio.

Sorry, but Nyx reminds me of this:

http://www.nixlice.com/

:(

Oh well, I'm less worried about that, I personally just don't think of lice pretty much ever. I don't know of many people who do or know the names of brands. ((Not alot of call for it here)) But maybe she'll be a head sitter like Sasha and then the name will be hilarious! lol!

I love Nyx. If I ever get a black female. That will be her name:) mainly because of my obsession with the House of Night novels:)

Last edited:
Back