Whats in a name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EveningChin

So I've been thinking about adding to my chinchilla family for a while now.

Now I've been talking to a breeder here and am inlove with this darlig black velvet that I want to name Pele. But I've run into a little snag because when I think of the name I think of one thing and my roommates think of something else.

What do you coralate the name Pele too?

((Pronounces Pay-lay))

Pele is either an ex-soccer player (a guy) or the Hawaiian goddess of fire/volcanoes. I think Pele would be a wonderful name for a smoldering, black chinnie! :)

I like it! I think of the soccer player, but he is the only one I have ever heard named that, so that is probably why. I think it is really cute for a chin.

Pele is either an ex-soccer player (a guy) or the Hawaiian goddess of fire/volcanoes. I think Pele would be a wonderful name for a smoldering, black chinnie! :)

Yes it is. But I was kinda hoping not to tell everyone this so they would not be biased one way or the other. Oh well too late now.

I like the name. and the goddess it originates from.

My roommates think of the soccer player too, and it makes me sad.

I was going to name one of my chins that, she's a black velvet and Pele reminds me of volcanoes. But then I went with Kona.

Oooh, Kona is a good name too! I'm glad so far most people think of volcanoes and hawaii! Hurrah!

The Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes, with long black hair, often seen on beaches/near water. Preferred offerings involve flowers and rum. :)

Granted, there was also a soccer player (Olympian?) with that name, but I default to the goddess first.

Who's chinnie is it going to be? Yours or the chins? If it's going to be yours, go with Pele. I agree. It sounds pretty. However, if it's going to be the roomie's, let the roomie name her.

If it's going to be both of yours, I think that's just a bad idea because, what happens if you part on bad terms?

Who's chinnie is it going to be? Yours or the chins? If it's going to be yours, go with Pele. I agree. It sounds pretty. However, if it's going to be the roomie's, let the roomie name her.

If it's going to be both of yours, I think that's just a bad idea because, what happens if you part on bad terms?

We've had communal pets before, we've lived with each other for a number of years (as 5) and no problems. Ontop of that it has always been givin that I will take any pets we own if we move away from each other, I do all of their care.

I didn't want to just run off with the idea of the name Pele if upon hearing the name most people think of the soccer player. This was simply a thread to find out if that was what most people thought of.

Pele, made me think of the soccer player, but not everyone will think that. I will say however that doesn't always work out. My oldest sons name is Damien, much to my mothers chagrin. She insisted that everyone would always think of the Devils son from the Omen. I said no way, and did it anyway. Now I always get "Damien, like from the Omen." So the general knowledge of the masses can work against you.

If I may ask, what's wrong with having a name that goes with the soccer player? I think chins are actually quite good little jumpers, as the soccer player was/is famous for, and so I think that it is still a very appropriate name ^_^

That, and Pele is just a very pretty name.

I just asked my boyfriend what he thinks of when he hears the name/word Pele.....and he said soccer player! I think of something Hawaiian though (but I already said that in my first post lol).

I do think of Pele the soccer player when I hear the name, but that doesn't matter. What matter's is what you what to name her. One of my chins, Mick St. John is named after the vampire private detective Mick St. John from Moonlight which CBS cancelled. So when I see Mick I will always associate him with that show--and one hunky vampire private detective. But everyone else just hears the name Mick St. John and I'm sure it means nothing to them.
So if you think of Pele the Hawaiian goddess that's what really matters. Why the heck did Pele's mom name him after a goddess anyway?!
Most of my chins have human names as I enjoy naming my animals with human names, some might find that odd--it's just what you want and if Pele reminds you of the beatiful Hawaiian goddess then it's a great name for your new chin! It's certainly an unusual name which makes me like it!
And honestly Pele was an awesome soccer player so if people think she's named after him that might not be so bad. Better to have a chin named Pele than Bill Clinton or Michael Vick or Paris Hilton even!

My first though was hawaii/volcano's, I think Kona would be a good males name.

Thank you everyone for your imput. I really appreciate knowing peoples initial thoughts on the name. As stampinchick pointed out general knowledge can work against you and just be fracking annoying. I like finding out that alot of people think of the Hawaiian goddess. I really like that alot of people know of both the goddess and the soccer player.

I love the name, but I don't want to spend the next twenty years explaining it to people. That is why I asked the question. There is nothing wrong with Pele the soccer player, he was one of my idols growing up. At the same time alot of people have never heard of him. I will still probably go with the name but you never know.

I've often had to change pets names because it just didn't fit the animal. Petra was originally an Amelia, but she is much more of a House frau so she got the German name. My other chinnie was a Snooky (not my doing!) but she holds herself very specifically and daintily but this is all a front as she is very mischievious and so she became the imfamous Sasha.

Back