What was it like for you when you first introduced your chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I wanted a chinchilla so I went at got Evie one night from the petsmart they said she was "the last one of the season" and I got her 5 mins before they closed all I remember was both of us being scared I openned the box before I even drove home to try and pet her and talk to her she flinched and so did I. I slept in the same room as her hoping she was ok due to all her squeaking. The next morning my mom went in and started talking to her(my mom didnt want her) Calling Evie a big rat she started kacking at my mom like EXCUSE ME?!?!? now Im happy with her my mom thinks Evie is her grandkid and my litle brat has personality

I tried to introduce Chalupa and Persephone last week. I've never seen either of the girls spray before, but there they were spraying and getting into "chinchilla attack mode". Persephone pulled a lot of fur, but Chalupa was content in the new area, eating some hay and playing with a toy like nothing was different. We separated them again a few minutes later and tried again at night, this time Chalupa was territorial too and she ended up losing more fur than I was comfortable with, and Persephone was making this menacing noise I've never heard from a chinchilla before, and we separated them again. Persephone bit me and I cried because I had been working so hard with the girls and cared so much about them, and I was afraid the attempt to put them together would turn Persephone against me.

Now they're separated, and I haven't tried taking them out for playtime together again, even though I'd done it in the past and they were fine together. Both are still warming up to me well, and I'm glad, but I don't think we're going to try to introduce them again. I can't stand seeing them fight like that and I don't want to risk it.

Back