What type of water bottle is this

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an Edstrom bottle. If I remember right, they are no longer going to be making them.

Thanks, what kind do you guys recommend? And it said on that thread that they may be discontinued so i must try and find one if they are good. Also on the edstrom how well do they work? And does the 8 oz and 16 oz have the same size valve

Last edited:
they are the same valve... u can actually buy just the valve and make your own... if your handy :D

they are awesome.. all my animals are on edstrom valves.. i have the auto system, but its all the same ..kinda..

I use the Edstrom ones on 2 of my cages. I really like them because they don't leak. But you have to put a guard on the front of them because the chins will chew through the plastic. So either make one yourself or you can buy them.
And you can still find them at a couple of websites but probably not for long since they no longer make them.

Do you guys think the waterflow is better on the edstrom or the glass super pet?

Whichever one you decide on--really think it through. My one chin won't drink out of any other bottle, except the one i started him with. I've tried to switch him twice to a more convient one and he refused to drink from it. Ugh

I use the Edstrom Water Buddies if you decide to purchase one I would recommend getting the shield. Chinworld sells the shields and the water buddies.

I got my metal guard from a chin supply company in Canada, I don't remember which.. maybe flowertown? But that's because ChinWorld's shipping is ridiculous. I tried to order 2 metal guards and the shipping was $20. I emailed them and didn't hear anything back, still haven't.
And when I bought the guards from Canada the US dollar was higher, so I got them for even cheaper.

I agree with Nancy. My chins won't touch an Edstrom nozzle. Every time I have tried to use them, my chins just won't drink at all. I use the glass bottles that Ryerson's and Shoots sell. I don't usually have leakage, but it works better if you put a metal washer in front of the rubber part. They do love to chew that rubber part. I also like that they are glass and can be sterilized, whereas the Edstrom bottles cannot. I also can easily clean the nozzle on my bottles with a craft pipe cleaner, where as I would never feel like I would get the Edstrom nozzle clean enough.

That's just my opinion on it though. People who use Edstrom, swear by Edstrom.

It's true that some won't get it. It took mine a while to get it. I left both bottles on the cages for a while and then ended up taking away their old bottles. I think for like a day I didn't notice them drinking anything but then they did figure it out. And now there's no problems.

But I agree, that I wish they were glass since that's so much easier to clean.

Do you guys think the waterflow is better on the edstrom or the glass super pet?

Don't go with Super Pet bottles - they leak, they clog, and the metal part on the cap will rust.

If you want to use glass, get the 8 oz. glass LIXIT bottles from the bird section at Petsmart. Leave a small bubble of air at the top when filling them, it helps the vacuum to form properly.

Glass inhibits the growth of bacteria better than plastic does.

So the waterflow on the edstrom is better or the same?

It's different. They have to push a little valve in with their tongues to get the water to come out, which is why some chins won't use them. The Lixit's have a ball and tip, but it's easier to work I think. I don't like Lixits anymore. I did originally, but now they leak and they are a PIA to clean because they have such a small mouth. You have to buy a special brush, yada yada. You also can never see in the tips to see if you got them clean because they are metal. The square glass bottles you can use any baby bottle cleaner on and you can see and clean out the tip because it's clear. They very, very rarely leak for me unless someone is able to knock the top off or chew the rubber.

Back